WOAH - What just happened?

Why has everyone decided to get the game via steam, is it cheaper or something?

it's better than ever getting it on disc! if you lose your disc you have to rebuy it! it's literally impossible to lose it on steam unless you lose your account details! and you get bargains ;)

It never asked me anything! First I knew when it said it was turning off!!

I have had Steam for 2 years now, and not once has it done that to me. Check you Steam settings to see if there's anything there that might have caused that.

The only other thing I can think of is that something else caused your computer to reboot.

i am going to get the game but i am wondering what the advantages are of buying/downloading from steam?...Jus wondering if anybody could give me there opinion...

Thanks In Advance

Advantages to me is that I don't have to go to the store or wait for it to be shipped, just download it straight away. I don't have to use / keep the cd (I'm aware of the new ability to play FM09 with no cd) all I have to do is know my login details to steam, which I have used for many years.

The only disadvantage is having steam running, but you *can* get around this, not sure if I would be allowed to post how on here though, but I don't really bother since it goes into sleep mode during play anyhow and even when running uses minuscule amounts of resources.

you can't! steam is needed to run the game if the game was bought or downloaded on steam, you click football manager 2009 demo icon, steam has to be loaded for it to work.

No it doesn't, you can start and run the game independantly of Steam, no matter where you got it.

it's better than ever getting it on disc! if you lose your disc you have to rebuy it! it's literally impossible to lose it on steam unless you lose your account details! and you get bargains ;)

Worried about losing a computer disc........are you a civil servant? ;)

you can't! steam is needed to run the game if the game was bought or downloaded on steam, you click football manager 2009 demo icon, steam has to be loaded for it to work.

I wondered if i could play the game if i was not connected to the internet so i started up steam and loaded FM 2009 demo perfectly. So, yes, you need steam, but you can alter the setting so that you have it work offline.

Wrong.

Go into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009 demo\ and right click on fm.exe and create a desktop shortcut.

Then, go into Steam and in the View/Settings/Interface menu, untick "Run Steam when Windows starts". Then open the File menu and exit.

that's a HUGE reason not to buy it from Steam, thanks!

The steam idea wasnt that great, its not a on-line game, it could be but not like those typical steam games, and if your internet is down gues what happens...no steam and no FM09! That is so so bad..

There's an offline mode, internet is NOT required.

I was just playing the Demo when the next thing up popped a Steam update! The next thing it has turned off my PC. SI, i am really not happy about that! Will this happen in real game too?

its a steam issue. not SI. as its a steam update. i've played the half life games and its never closed my computer down though.

Or press CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut down the steam process from the task manager.

I am sure that the contrary has been confirmed. :confused:

If only SI used Stardock's Impulse platform. You don't need to run a game through Impulse. Impulse doesn't need to be running and you don't have to fiddle with settings to run a program without it either. It is far more friendly.

If only SI used Stardock's Impulse platform. You don't need to run a game through Impulse. Impulse doesn't need to be running and you don't have to fiddle with settings to run a program without it either. It is far more friendly.

Stardock is a model that all should follow.

Their anti piracy measures are honest and refreshing.

Unlike the likes of EA and in later years SI (sad to say). Kinda lost respect for SI reagarding their Hockey game piracy rant.

Stardock is a model that all should follow.

Their anti piracy measures are honest and refreshing.

Unlike the likes of EA and in later years SI (sad to say). Kinda lost respect for SI reagarding their Hockey game piracy rant.

The EHM game was pirated to high hell!? It was less of a rant and more of the exact reason why the stopped creating the game.

The system SI will be using will be very good, much better than EA's. Think of it like the Itunes system which works perfectly well for hundreds of thousands of people.

And as for complaints about Steam, its been implemented because its been asked for for a number of years by the community. I remember people asking for it when Steam first came out.

just goes to show they can't win.

people ask for it so they get it as a choice and then people moan because they have the choice.

just goes to show they can't win.

people ask for it so they get it as a choice and then people moan because they have the choice.

Yeah. The exact same thing with some of the features. One of the features the people heavily demanded where an expansion of press conferences and PR. Now a lot of people are trashing this feature stating that it's useless, pointless and a waste of their time. You can't win!

The EHM game was pirated to high hell!? It was less of a rant and more of the exact reason why the stopped creating the game.

More likely the Hockey Manager game simply wasn't popular enough. I doubt it was pirated more than a lot of the big titles, or even more than Stardock's games (since they have zero protection). The number that did buy it just weren't enough to make up for what the game cost.

The system SI will be using will be very good, much better than EA's. Think of it like the Itunes system which works perfectly well for hundreds of thousands of people.

So you bought that bile too?

Not to toot my own horn so to speak, but I have studied in this area, and have looked at the effects of Piracy in great detail.

The Fact is, as others have said, EHM was a crappy game with a small market. That's why SI stopped making it. The Piracy argument was a complete fantasy.

FM is pirated a hell of a lot more and that stays afloat....why? Because people still buy it.

Look at Gears of War. It was the most Pirated game in 2006 (I think it was 2006) and yet it was also the best selling.

If the game is good and there is a market - it sells. We don't have to be treated like criminals by these companies. EA with Spore being a prime example where it is safer to Pirate the game than actually buy it. Sad but true.

Fight back against authentification and limiting multiple installs. You should own what you pay for 100%.

Archived