Can't score

Does anyone else find the finishing in this demo poor? My strikers just cannot score, even when in a one-on-one positions with the goalkeeper. Most of my goals come from long range efforts usually given to me by mistakes or set piece(free kicks,penalty and corners)

even when in a one-on-one positions with the goalkeeper.

Especially when one-on-one with the keeper. I find three problems with strikers getting behind the defence and scoring.

1. They don't make intelligent runs. Their strike partner or a midfielder will be running through the middle with the ball. The defence will be running back. The striker just stands there rather than looking for the through ball.

2. If they are running with the ball with no support shoulder to shoulder with a defender they shoot from outside the box. I'd like to see more situations where they try to beat the defender for pace, use their strength to shield the ball, or try and draw a foul.

3. When they are through and clear they nearly always (well over 90% of the time) hit it strait at the keeper. I want to see them go for the bottom corner or try to take it round the keeper.

On a side note I think point 1 is part of the reason there are so many long shots - players shoot as there are no good passing options available.

The one on one thing comes up every year, and in the past i've been one of the people that has moaned about the "superkeeper" myth. General consensus is that it is an issue with tactics, tempo etc, have a look in the tactics forum and there are loads of guides to help avoid one on one issues, that's what I did and I very rarely see the amount of one on oens missed that I used to see.

I'm scoring goals but just not from one-on-ones. Let's look at what happens. My midfielder plays a great through ball, my striker beats the offside trap and has just the goalkeeper to beat from inside the box, yet he manages to miss 80% of the time even though keeper has not made himself "big" by running onto him. What this has got to do with tempo or tactics, I have no idea whatsoever. Surely we don't want to avoid one-on-ones? Also, in the past, it could have been said that the chance could have been more difficult than it looked on 2-D but even that argument is not valid anymore.

What this has got to do with tempo or tactics, I have no idea whatsoever.

That's why you need to have a look at the tactics forum. Tempo not only affects passing, but it also affects shooting and if your player is set with a high tempo they may rush a shot rather than wait for the right time to slide it past the keeper, vice versa for slow tempo. It's explained in depth in the T&T forum :)

have a look in the tactics forum and there are loads of guides to help avoid one on one issues

For the demo? Can you point me in the direction of one please. I'm getting the same problem that many people get that my players shoot from distance far to much regardless of the tactics.

It's not for the demo specifically, the explanations in T&T are for 08 mainly. The information on relevance of certain tactical sliders is essentially the same and worth reading over, despite the obvious differences between 08 and 09.

That's why you need to have a look at the tactics forum. Tempo not only affects passing, but it also affects shooting and if your player is set with a high tempo they may rush a shot rather than wait for the right time to slide it past the keeper, vice versa for slow tempo. It's explained in depth in the T&T forum :)

thanks. never would have thought tempo affects shooting since once they're through the defensive wall, I'd think it would all be down to striker instincts. anyway, I do think my strikers rush their shots when through on goal so the tempo is probably too high. I'll go look in the tactics forum I guess :)

The general consensus is that tempo has an effect on strikers when through on goal. This is ridiculous though. When a striker is through on goal it comes down to individual skill and decision making, no player will think 'oh, the manager said we should play quick so I'd better snap at this'. This is just an example of how the current tactics system has contradicting effects on play.

The general consensus is that tempo has an effect on strikers when through on goal. This is ridiculous though. When a striker is through on goal it comes down to individual skill and decision making, no player will think 'oh, the manager said we should play quick so I'd better snap at this'. This is just an example of how the current tactics system has contradicting effects on play.

What you suggest in an ideal world where a computer game totally replicates a player with actual logic and brain power. That's impossible and unfortunately there will always be limitations to the coding that can be produced, which in turn means players have to stick to the tactics.

Of course it's not eactly what we want, but I don't think we or SI have much choice.

What you suggest in an ideal world where a computer game totally replicates a player with actual logic and brain power. That's impossible and unfortunately there will always be limitations to the coding that can be produced, which in turn means players have to stick to the tactics.

Of course it's not eactly what we want, but I don't think we or SI have much choice.

I wouldn't agree with that statement. SI made a conscious decision to make the decision to shoot when clean through reliant on tempo. They could have based it on Long Shots tactic and attributes such as Decisions and Composure.

I wouldn't agree with that statement. SI made a conscious decision to make the decision to shoot when clean through reliant on tempo. They could have based it on Long Shots tactic and attributes such as Decisions and Composure.

Long shots doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one on ones though, PPMs are more relevant to the way the striker takes the goal. Decisions/composure are an attribute that affects the strikers ability to convert the one on one, your tactics will obviously affect these attributes and may make them null and void e.g. a defender with low concentration will not have the cognitive ability to decide not to play offside because he's no good at it, he will follow the tactics and expecting a player to make such decisions is asking far too much of a computer game IMO.

I agree with the OP. even 40 mil strikers miss 85-90% for me on one-on-ones. and long shot goals should be less.

"1. They don't make intelligent runs. Their strike partner or a midfielder will be running through the middle with the ball. The defence will be running back. The striker just stands there rather than looking for the through ball.

2. If they are running with the ball with no support shoulder to shoulder with a defender they shoot from outside the box. I'd like to see more situations where they try to beat the defender for pace, use their strength to shield the ball, or try and draw a foul.

3. When they are through and clear they nearly always (well over 90% of the time) hit it strait at the keeper. I want to see them go for the bottom corner or try to take it round the keeper."

I couln't agree more

Long shots doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one on ones though, PPMs are more relevant to the way the striker takes the goal. Decisions/composure are an attribute that affects the strikers ability to convert the one on one, your tactics will obviously affect these attributes and may make them null and void e.g. a defender with low concentration will not have the cognitive ability to decide not to play offside because he's no good at it.

The point is a one-on-one chance can be handled separately in the match engine, it's a decision by the coders to have it reliant on tempo. This is most likely done only to artificially cut out high scoring games because high tempo creates far too many chances.

The point is a one-on-one chance can be handled separately in the match engine, it's a decision by the coders to have it reliant on tempo. This is most likely done only to artificially cut out high scoring games because high tempo creates far too many chances.

I'm not even going to pretend that I know a thing about games, programming or even computers, but would it not be difficult and irritating to have a game that plays as normal, but deals with different aspects in different ways i.e. asking it to deal with one on ones separate to the rest of the ME?

I do agree with the second part though. I've always been of the opinion that the amount of highlights/chances in the game is disproportionate in order to keep us interested and not jsut sit staring at a screen where nothing is happening. All those chances can't be converted ebcause that would cause another problem with ridiculous scorelines, to deal with it the strikers aren't as lethal as we expect.

I would think it would be much more irritating to have something decided on logically unrelated data.

To me, success with FM is often more about mastering the engine rather than real world management, with the above as a perfect example. When things fall into place it's great fun, but reaching that point is often a frustrating game of second guessing how the engine interprets actions and data.

The point is a one-on-one chance can be handled separately in the match engine' date=' it's a decision by the coders to have it reliant on tempo. This is most likely done only to artificially cut out high scoring games because high tempo creates far too many chances.[/quote']

But it's not entirely reliant on tempo, this is just one factor that affects it. Personally I think it's quite realistic. High tempo teams often take more snap shots and rushed shots, if you're playing a high tempo game with a lot of one touch passing then you get caught up in that and sometimes try and continue the fast flowing movement, rather than putting your foot on the ball and placing it in the top corner.

Think Arsenal as they're a perfect example of this at times. There's no doubting that strikers such as Henry and now Adebayor are top notch, and if you give them a ball in the box they'll score more often than not. But Arsenal have often been seen to be over-elaborate at times and can play lovely quick passing movements which end in sometimes simple looking chances being missed.

Sirocco, intersting name, anything to do with Sirocco Works?

It's taken from the original meaning; a hot wind that blows from North Africa and into Southern Europe. I came up with it for another board several years ago, but with the number of African players playing football in Europe I suppose it does have some relevance here, too. ;)

Archived