I love Fm09 now

I posted on sunday saying that FM09 is rubbish. But as i played it a bit more i am loving the game and i think SI has done really well.....AGAIN.

I love 3d as it got everything, ok there no stadia but i think it will be hard say for example you are watch a reserve match and the stadia is full would bring a whiole new problem as people will moan,

The transfer system is good, and i love rumours as i find them quite funny as i am linked with players i have not heard off.

I just wish it would not crash when i go on the club information screen, thats a bugger

I am really enjoying it as well, especially the press confrences. My 2 minor gripe is that I have to play it in windowed mode to avoid it crashing, but i'm starting to get used to it now and the other being that I'm not overly keen on the widgets for player ratings etc whilst playing in 3-D, but agian I think its something I'll get used to over time. Hopefully the patch will sort out the problem of having to play in windowed mode and then I will be in for many hours of ignoring the wife whilst I go play FM 09 for many hours on end.

I'm also having a change of heart and even starting to "like" the 3D :eek: To begin with I absolutely hated it, but I think that had more to do with how bad my results were, I gave it a go last night and started to perfom a bit better and enjoyed it more :p

My one major criticism of 09 is the changes made to 2D, no matter how good they expected 3D to be I don't think the 2D image should have been changed. It's far smaller than in 08, which is really putting me off using it.

thats my main concern at the moment, loving the game and all the new features, esp 3d. but finding that the game seems to crash quite often which is getting frustrating. have to ctrl alt del and shut down the process each time.

one of the great things about all the past FM's was that it hardly ever crashed!

but like someone said, hopefully the patch will sort that out!

This is exactly why I waited a few days before giving my opinion on here about the game. People are far too quick to criticise after playing somethign different for only a few minutes or a couple of hours.

I didn't like the game at first, particularly the 3D. But I was exactly the same with the 2D. And just like the 2D, now that I've given it a chance, I can't see myself going back to 2D. Tactically the 3D is a great tool, and the more I play the demo the mre I can see that once one patch has been released to fix some of the minor issues found on here, this will be the best FM yet.

I've loved it from the start, I've un-installed it for now though as don't want to over play it. I do agree with some points definately about the injuries - playing ad Chelsea and 5 of my first team were out injured for 3-5 months each, with a broken ankle, foot, calf. So I'm hoping that's fixed but everything else is brilliant.

Good to see someone go beyond their initial gut reaction and be man enough to admit it.

People's reaction to the FM demo is a bit like my daughter trying new food. When she gets a new taste, she invariably pulls a funny face as it was not what she expected. Then when she gives it another go she wolfs it down.

The difference to some people on here (not anyone in this thread) is that she does actually try it again rather than throwing a paddy and suggesting that Daddy is not listening to what she wants and doesn't care anymore and her days of spending time with Daddy are over.

Good to see someone go beyond their initial gut reaction and be man enough to admit it.

People's reaction to the FM demo is a bit like my daughter trying new food. When she gets a new taste, she invariably pulls a funny face as it was not what she expected. Then when she gives it another go she wolfs it down.

The difference to some people on here (not anyone in this thread) is that she does actually try it again rather than throwing a paddy and suggesting that Daddy is not listening to what she wants and doesn't care anymore and her days of spending time with Daddy are over.

I love that analogy :D

I never got into FM07 as much as other releases, and it was even less with with 08, but 09 has really revitalised my love of the series - well done SI.

I also secretly believed that FML would get in the way of 09 but they havent let it happen - nice work lads

I will be shocked if no one has pre-ordered the game or buying it. SI have worked so hard into creating the new 3D match engine and everyone is putting so much negatives. Also if it was some other company making a game like this from scratch, they probably wouldn't even consider making a patch to fix the problems on the day of release. Good Job SI.. good work! :)

P.S 1 week, 2 days and 14 hours till release woohoo

Some aspects of the game are superb but whats going on with the injuries? i have been getting at least one long term injury a game

That is one aspect that everyone seems to have had difficulty with, but it's been discussed at length in various other threads and SI have stated that they will be looking at it.

I'm glad to see this thread.

I too was wary of 3D when first using it but amazingly it seems to have smoothed out and is now running brilliantly. I love it, the more you watch the more you see little bits of detail. Was watching a winger last night and he turned my fullback beautifully, just as some players do irl.

I think the rest of the game is excellent, I love the skin, its almost gone back to CM4 and thats fantastic - SI, please don't make it all too glitzy, I want to feel like I'm doing a job, not playing the SIMS. Its a bit weird managing a awful team with such glitzy skins. (appreciate thats a minor thing and you can change skins, but just saying, I like the one we have now).

There's lots of excellent little additions, and I really can't wait to get into a long game.

On that note, I am just really hoping that the full version is as fabulous as I really want it to be and think it can be. I did like FM08 and had no problem with it, but I struggled to get into a game as my life has changed with moving house etc. I think FM09 can drag me away from such trivialities. I hope the match engine doesn't stick, that the game processes quickly with the number of leagues I'd like, that there arn't thousands of injuries, that everything just goes swimmingly.

As i said on here yesterday, its a 'marathon not a sprint'. We wouldn't sell a new player after one dodgy pre-season game, we'd wait until 10 games, half a season, half his contract. Likewise, we won't know if this FM is to be a titan of the series until maybe christmas.

That is one aspect that everyone seems to have had difficulty with, but it's been discussed at length in various other threads and SI have stated that they will be looking at it.

Last I read SI were looking at the length of injuries rather than the frequency (not sure if that still stands but it was only two days ago) which I took to mean (please correct me if I'm wrong) - Si have tried to make the pre-season training more important with regards to improving fitness and the amount of injuries reflects this but something went wrong and instead of players only being injured for a week or so with minor injuries too many players are being hit with month long injuries. The fact that reducing the training intensity sems to be a small workaround for this problem could be used as evidence to support this. (This is my opinion on it and may have already been said please tell me if this is so)

Edit: Forgot to mention that although I haven't played much of the Demo I like what I have seen so far.

agreed, at first I was sceptical, as I thought thats what made CM and FM series, the non 3d view, where other footy manager games had tried to pull this off but failed, but im glad to say FM09 has cracked it, ive fallen in love again and loving every minute of the demo!

Regarding the injuries - the main problem is in pre-season.......players are probably starting the pre-season on slightly too low condition and that combined with low match fitness ( which affects stamina ) sees a lot of players getting injured in pre-season and early season.

The answer is to manage your players condition more carefully especially in pre-season. Once the patch comes around things will be a little less harsh in this respect and things should balance out better.

What we wont do is simply cut injuries down so teams can perform unrealistically well with small squads.

PaulC posted that this morning, so it looks like they are going to look at it. It also goes some way towards explaining and providing a reason for the amount of injuries people are expecting.

Rotation in pre season is essential in 09, which I think is a good thing and adds to the realism (although the representation of injuries is far from realistic atm I expect it to be fixed with 9.0.1).

im enjoying the demo (not played much just trying to get tactics tweaked) not a fan of the 3D though, not sure why i prefer the 2D probably because im afraid of change or something along those lines, (not as afraid as a mate who still only uses text)

Indeed the amount of friends who have pulled out of being big FM fans because they just cannot leave the playable CM series as it was much easier to play, but you just have to stick at this one, give it some time and you'l learn to love it. When I first heard FM was doing 3D view my honest thought was, oh no, they are trying to be like Fifa Manager and they should have stuck at what they are good at. And I just thought this was the start of the end, but I am so glad they've pulled it off in my eyes, so nice to see your new £15 million pound signing appear on the pitch 3d view, and the camera angles are so good, each and everyone gives a great view.

FM or chips??? :D

Indeed the amount of friends who have pulled out of being big FM fans because they just cannot leave the playable CM series as it was much easier to play, but you just have to stick at this one, give it some time and you'l learn to love it. When I first heard FM was doing 3D view my honest thought was, oh no, they are trying to be like Fifa Manager and they should have stuck at what they are good at. And I just thought this was the start of the end, but I am so glad they've pulled it off in my eyes, so nice to see your new £15 million pound signing appear on the pitch 3d view, and the camera angles are so good, each and everyone gives a great view.

Agree with this. Was (and am) terrified that SI will suddenly go all weird and do things that destroy how we all love the game. Like a girlfriend that suddenly becomes very religious or a band that thinks they're so arty they can play bagpipe rock and roll to be "cutting edge". Please, SI, never go for bagpipe rock and roll.

I think we're seeing a bit of a theme here then. Many people, when first trying the demo, were shocked by the differences and it obviously took a bit of getting used to. But after giving it a chance it seems to be growing on a lot of people.

This is what's happened to me, and I've yet to have a chance to delve into the area that I'm most excited about. Regens. Apparently these have been improved so I can't wait for my first long term game to see the youngster who I've brought through the ranks finally make his debut in glorious 3D!

Same here now i love it and regret my first reaction

but there still some stuff buggued or not at my taste:

Injuries ofc

too many long shots (even if i manage to reduce them maybe i still need to redo my tactics)

Transfers bids were unrealistics in FM08 (too high) now well its too low (receiving 7 mil bids for Micah Richards is a bit low)

some wrong translations

im waiting for new gens hope i wont be disapointed :x

otherwise very good stuff and 3D engine is very nice not coz its 3D but because now it adds a new dimension on how to interpret your tactic !

Transfers bids were unrealistics in FM08 (too high) now well its too low (receiving 7 mil bids for Micah Richards is a bit low)

This will only be a problem if the player in question becomes upset that you've rejected such a low bid for them, which hasn't happened to me yet.

I love 3d as it got everything, ok there no stadia but i think it will be hard say for example you are watch a reserve match and the stadia is full would bring a whiole new problem as people will moan

There is stadia i the demo just no fans and there won't be any fans in the full game either.

In terms of fans in the stadium I think this is something that will be introduced in perhaps FM2010 or 2011. This is the first steps into 3D and unfortunately they can't do everything in one go. As the crowd would be purely cosmetic I'm happy to wait for that part of the 3D view to be improved.

i really like the 3D and think the game will eventually be the best release to date. Watching the game is far more entertaiining now, and i think eventauly the tactics and play will be very realistic. e.g i am loving the forward runs, and balls into space.

transfer system seems much improved as well.

we will have to find out about the regens in the future...

however......

its a shame that they never seem to test adequately. it is apparent that the mac version had been barely tested. as there are a couple of potentially game breaking problems, i think i am going to hold off on purchase until they are fixed (it could be day of release!)

I have to say it's growing on me too. I guess I didn't give it long enough to make judgement, but now that I'm having another go at it I release there's not much wrong with it. I like the Assistant Manager advice and some new little options such as controlling who plays for the Reserves, and the 3D engine is growing on me too. In fact, I must've only spent 1 minute on 2D before going back to 3D in the past few days.

It's come down to a few things for me that need fixing:

- Processor use is way too high, (i.e. getting stuck at 80-100% CPU Usage in Task Manager when 3D match engine is paused, and peaking pretty high when rolling the mouse cursor over a menu in the UI) it seems to be a reocurrance of the bug that's appeared in the past few FMs on release.

- Players shoot way too much with their left foot.

- Would be nice to be able to zoom in more on the action, or perhaps even focus on individual players (trial days?).

That's pretty much all I can see wrong with it now. Mainly fix the processor bug and I'll be happy to re-order my copy (because it makes my laptops fans go crazy and I'm scared of the effect it might be having on my processor).

Why be so quick to jump the gun then?

Initial reactions? They still offer a lot. Just because they are negative and then turn so much warmer doesnt mean the initial response was incorrect. I dont think gamers react badly to every release of established games, I dont think I'll be thinking 'WTF?' come Friday when Gears2 launches. Every year the new FM comes out and there are a number of questionable design decisions that I just cannot get my head around. They play some part in intial reaction, at least from myself. It can and should be better out of the box.

Imagine seeing an ugly girl walk into the bar, you wouldnt give her the time of day (no doubt some peope on this forum would) but your mother always said personality is more important...

It's the same with FM, I still think its quite ugly, clunky in places, slow to respond, bloated in areas it should not be (Match Engine loading) but I'm hoping those are areas that are eventually sorted. Of course, I'd rather they were good from day one, but that never seems to happen.

After playing a lot more last night I think I've tipped towards 'buy' and will therefore scrap the alternative update of FM07 and hope that plenty is fixed in the release day patch. I havent come across anything game breaking in my play sessions so far, whereas I never picked up 08 because of the confidence oversight. Incidentally I think that error is a perfect example of SI not giving module implementers enough time to wear two caps (design and code).

FM09 feels quite fiddly UI wise, but I'm expecting that will change when some decent redesigned skins appear. At the moment it feels like a sterile database and I dislike the look. It doesnt kill my eyes as with 08, but its still unattractive and hard to read/look at when playing through high resolutions (1920x1200).

I've missed out on a lot of new stuff by skipping 08, and a lot more would have passed me by had I skipped 09. I'm expecting FM10 to launch poorly, with patch requirements from day one (it happens all the time now, lets face it) but at least I am confident SI will always patch their games and let the community know what their plans are. That gives them a lot of kudos in my eyes.

Mentioned it elsewhere, but I think FM09 has the potential, assuming stuff is fixed and improved, to be the best FM yet. With a lot of help from the community no doubt, but that is part and parcel of the whole FM experience. SI interact with the community, the community improve the game. I think SI understand, or have certainly become accustomed, to the initial reaction of their 'fans' and have the sense to dissect posts for valuable information and ignore others.

Archived