Goalies running more than refs?

When Im reffing youth football, 1st division U16, I average around 4 km per match. Mind that we do not have AR in youth football, so it means more runs for me.

4km = 4 000 meters = apx 20 runs up/down pitch.

So I just wonder how it is possible for my GK to have the same distance? Makes me wonder what he does when Im not watching him... :D

I have also noticed my goalie clocking up similar mileage. doesn't make any sense.

I had a look on the web and found that in the England v Croatia match last year, Scott Carson covered 4281m in 90 minutes.

It must be remembered that goalkeepers probably take a lot more backpasses in today's game from around their 6 yard box and will often take the ball to the edge of the 18 yard box or further, they then have to go back to their goal line. Because we imagine them only in their 18 yard area we don't think of them travelling very far but it is correct as shown above.

I had a look on the web and found that in the England v Croatia match last year, Scott Carson covered 4281m in 90 minutes.

It must be remembered that goalkeepers probably take a lot more backpasses in today's game from around their 6 yard box and will often take the ball to the edge of the 18 yard box or further, they then have to go back to their goal line. Because we imagine them only in their 18 yard area we don't think of them travelling very far but it is correct as shown above.

Miles or PaulC (I cant remember which) did point in another post that GK DO ACTUALLY clock up 4Km+ during each game and he quoted where you can find that info so it is not a bug.

The GK run distances are accurate and based on real life distances.

Not saying it isnt, just a bit surprised.

It means that Im either lazy when reffing, running up and down the pitch - or that Im extremely well at planning my runs.

Of course it is the latter one:D

lol Yeah same here but on Saturdays and for the mens.

Player went and had both feet in the air/dived into a tackle on me which he should have been carded for, i was furious. Nearly broke my leg!

4Km is pretty impressive for goalies though! I probably don't run that much as a CB :p

I hope your better than the refs i have to deal with every sunday
lol Yeah same here but on Saturdays and for the mens.

Player went and had both feet in the air/dived into a tackle on me which he should have been carded for, i was furious. Nearly broke my leg!

4Km is pretty impressive for goalies though! I probably don't run that much as a CB :p

Depends on how you decide what is a good ref or not doesnt it? ;)

Even though Im the youth ref that waives most cards every season, 5-10 reds and 70-100 yellows in apx 50 matches, Im still the one they want to ref their games. Both players and coaches:D

Thing is with reffing, its not about the rule book itself - but how you implement them with common sense.. Which unfortunately is easy to forget for refs on lower levels..

I guess 16 years as a ref have giving me some sort of understanding for the game:D

Archived