Giants vs Human

Look at those giants...

There's a dudie in my forum edited all the players' height to 255cm and weight to 255kg...

20081104_f2157840fde435cb379f5iuVZ3hK91S8.jpg

and as I turned it to 1cm and 1kg...yes, they're shorter than grass...

20081104_d4fe1792e97ff0dc38f0CUr83joXIcE7.jpg

This test proves again that the height and weight do not have any effect in the game, cos when the data is 1cm, the players can still head to score.

if this is the case, whats the point in having tall guys mark tall guys at corners.? if hieght means nothing and its puryl down to jumping and heading. you may as well say mark the good jumpers instead of the tall players.

so a guy of 5 8" will out jump a 6 4" if his jumping is higher ?

The game doesn not take height and weight into account. They didn't even do colision detection properly, so you can see players run through each other.

I'm sorry, but when they say that they didn't implement a 3D engine before because "the technology wasn't there" and then, when the "technology" supposedly IS here, to try to sell this... Hello? FM 09's 3D "technology" was there, in fact. It has been there since the time of Voodoo 1, or even earlier.

It doesn't prove anything because you have taken it way beyond any realistic bounds. Why would SI waste time on programming the heading ability to take into account the player being 1cm?

Sigh. Knew someone would come up with this rubbish excuse.

If the game took into account height and weight, then regardless of what those figures were it would take them into account. It doesn't, so it clearly wont ever.

It's even more ludicrous to assume they'll have programmed in individual responsed to a player being 5'5 and 12st 1lb. And 5'5 and 12 stone. And 5'5 but 11st 11lb. And 5'5 but 11st 10lb. Etc etc.

What the heck are you all on about? Of course height has a factor in heading the ball! Did you not read my reply?

Who wins a header will be a combination of height and jumping.

And the 3D engine is not supposed to accurately visually portray the exact distribution of player's weight and physics. It's merely a representation of all the complex calculations going on behind the scenes and instead of circles we get animated figures.

seems weird a 20 stone 8 footer can be out jumped by a 7 stone 5ft 5 weakling.

Peter Crouch and Shaun Wright-Philips, who do you think would win the most headers? Unless Philips had a step ladder under his arm, or a machete to chop Crouches legs off.

seems weird a 20 stone 8 footer can be out jumped by a 7 stone 5ft 5 weakling.

Peter Crouch and Shaun Wright-Philips, who do you think would win the most headers? Unless Philips had a step ladder under his arm, or a machete to chop Crouches legs off.

This debate comes around every year. Why does Owen win and score so many headers? Why was Thierry Henry so bad at heading? Height is not the only determination of who will win the ball, otherwise all you would need to do is buy loads of tall players and you'd never lose a header.

What the heck are you all on about? Of course height has a factor in heading the ball! Did you not read my reply?

And the 3D engine is not supposed to accurately visually portray the exact distribution of player's weight and physics. It's merely a representation of all the complex calculations going on behind the scenes and instead of circles we get animated figures.

Yes, heading and jumping. As I've said above, it's all about the stats, not about the laws of physics. If we have a 2.1m tall player with 19 jumping and 1.7m tall player with 20 for jumping, the latter will have a better chance of getting the ball in a duel (in Football Manager, not in real life).

I dont know if the height data really works in a heading. When i edited it to 1cm' date=' a striker with 18 Head and 17 Jump can still head a goal from the defenders as normal. The 1cm's height doesn't seem bothering him at all.[/quote']

That's because all the defenders are 1cm tall too.

This debate comes around every year. Why does Owen win and score so many headers? Why was Thierry Henry so bad at heading? Height is not the only determination of who will win the ball, otherwise all you would need to do is buy loads of tall players and you'd never lose a header.

Surely there are other short arses besides myself who play football with mates much taller than themselves and still beat them in the air? as the quote says height is not the only factor!!

Surely there are other short arses besides myself who play football with mates much taller than themselves and still beat them in the air? as the quote says height is not the only factor!!

It's not the only factor, but it is a factor. But the game ignores it - completely :)

I'd like to stand corrected on that one, though...

It's not the only factor, but it is a factor. But the game ignores it - completely :)

I'd like to stand corrected on that one, though...

I agree that it is a factor and if the ME does completely ignores this then the ME could not be considered a true representation of a football match.

No' date=' as you can see, i only edited my players. the other team's players are all normal size.[/quote']

I stand corrected. Are they winning headers against defenders or are they just heading by themselves in open space? Maybe someone from SI can confirm if height is making a difference, although obviously this is outwith the boundaries of normal humans. :D

EDIT: Ackter seems to have cleared it up.

I've always thought that tall players had their jumping stat increased and that the actual height stat is of no relevance

That was my understanding as well.

Height is irrelevant in itself but it is included in calculating the jumping stat.

As I understood it the jumping stat is the highest point a player can reach based on his actual height and ability to leap.

eg a 6' 4" defender who can leap 6" off the ground will have the same jump stat as a 5' 10" striker who can leap 12" off the ground.

So altering the height without altering jump is a waste of space.

Height and weight have never effected the match engine - they effect attributes which in turn effect the match engine.

So, if we increase/decrease the height and weight of players, their attributes will also increase/decrease? The OP claims otherwise, as far as I can understand...

So, if we increase/decrease the height and weight of players, their attributes will also increase/decrease? The OP claims otherwise, as far as I can understand...

It's edited using an unofficial editor - the normal rules don't apply.

If it was done in the official editor before starting a new game, that is indeed what would happen.

I believe how it works is; if a player is 7ft then the researcher will likely change his jumping attribute to 20 so he can reach the maximum height

If you then change the players height to 2ft, his jumping attribute will still be 20 so it won't have any affect, so you have to change the jumping attribute accordingly

I stand corrected. Are they winning headers against defenders or are they just heading by themselves in open space? Maybe someone from SI can confirm if height is making a difference, although obviously this is outwith the boundaries of normal humans. :D

EDIT: Ackter seems to have cleared it up.

They can win the headers against the defenders they should win when they were in normal size, I mean in the free kicks, corner kicks...etc.

Yes, hoping SI could give us a confirming.

If you then change the players height to 2ft, his jumping attribute will still be 20 so it won't have any affect, so you have to change the jumping attribute accordingly

The game would do this automatically on start-up if done with the official editor.

can i get a decent answer o a normal question?

when im looking for new centre backs at my club, if i get in 5 8" defenders with really high jumping and heading, these will out jump a 6 4" striker if they have less for jumping and heading.?

It's edited using an unofficial editor - the normal rules don't apply.

If it was done in the official editor before starting a new game, that is indeed what would happen.

Kewl.

Are all the players in 3D the same size, though? As far as I can tell they are... Why?

when im looking for new centre backs at my club' date=' if i get in 5 8" defenders with really high jumping and heading, these will out jump a 6 4" striker if they have less for jumping and heading.?[/quote']

That is the key question, and I think that the answer is yes.

That was my understanding as well.

Height is irrelevant in itself but it is included in calculating the jumping stat.

As I understood it the jumping stat is the highest point a player can reach based on his actual height and ability to leap.

eg a 6' 4" defender who can leap 6" off the ground will have the same jump stat as a 5' 10" striker who can leap 12" off the ground.

So altering the height without altering jump is a waste of space.

This seems to be the most sensible suggestion as to how it could work.

when im looking for new centre backs at my club' date=' if i get in 5 8" defenders with really high jumping and heading, these will out jump a 6 4" striker if they have less for jumping and heading.?[/quote']

In general yes.

Jumping is how high they can reach but I'm sure you'll also need to consider strength, agility and maybe something to do with timing (anticipation? perhaps).

Heading is how good they are in directing the ball once they get their head on it.

Correct. Jumping is basically how high a player is able to get his head. The player's height effects this attribute as a form of limiting the extremes.

A 5'10" player with 20 jumping will be able to beat a 6'6" player with 15 jumping, but it is much less likely that a 5'10" player would ever be given 20 jumping in the first place.

Correct. Jumping is basically how high a player is able to get his head. The player's height effects this attribute as a form of limiting the extremes.

A 5'10" player with 20 jumping will be able to beat a 6'6" player with 15 jumping, but it is much less likely that a 5'10" player would ever be given 20 jumping in the first place.

im getting this lol. so a 6 ft 4" player, because he is tall will most probebly be given a higher jumping stat to co inside with beeing tall, but the hight it's self will not make him jump higher or win headers against a smaller player..

in the defending corners options. i think we need to be able to tell what player mark who at corners. because just saying mark a tall guy doesnt mark the best jumper in the opposing team.

• SI Staff

A player's height is already accounted for in his 'jumping' stat as this represents the highest point a player can reach (ie a combination of their actual height plus the distance they can get off the ground). As it is already accounted for the height figure you see visible within the game is only needed for animating the players within the 3D engine.

Archived