Defending and Tempo

Quick question. I'm having a great start to my latest West Ham (new) season at the moment, best yet (typical with only 3 weeks till 09 release!) P6 W6 D0 L0 F14 A1, and have already faced and beaten Chelsea and Man Utd without conceding to either. I've always always had problems defending, no matter what I try - so I decided to go for simple loose zonal marking with no opposition instructions. I did however set my team's tempo to high and am amazed at the results (so far).

Basically I thought that tempo only dictated the speed and directness players go about their business with the ball, but I'm noticing that my defenders seem to be far quicker to react, cut out through balls, close down etc. Am I imagining this or is high tempo actually making team work harder in defence also? Of course it's only early days yet...

In case it helps I play a global normal mentality 442. I also play low creative freedom for the entire team except one winger who gets a free role (don't want 2 players always stuck out wide where one is unlikely to be of any use at any one time).

Archived