The Magic of 2D

I have been playing FM since CM95/96.

I'll get straight to the point.

The appeal to me, and I do believe - many others, is that by using a basic graphic interface it works on a huge level.

I play CM/FM because - I want to live the dream. I want to be a manager, maybe put myself in the game, I want to go from rags to riches etc (insert story here). But to help do that, you use your imagination. You picture yourself at the training ground shouting orders, you picture yourself shouting in the cold on the side lines. You watch your striker 'score a 30 yard screamer' - you dont visually see any of this on screen - but you can picture to it in your mind. You picture it being the goal of the day/month/year on Match of the Day. Your centre back gets sent off or gets the hump for being subbed too early (remember you are changing things to win the game..) - in your mind - you take him to one side and give him a bloody good rollocking, oh go on - you fine him too. I could go on, but the point that Im trying to make is that one of the mains factors of playing FM/CM in 2D form is the 'bits' that you dont see (i.e players, stadium, reporters, supports) are seen in your mind, adding to what this game is - I virtual playground of football management.

OK, there are going to be people who dont agree, but this to me is what Champ Man was all about - the 2D they brought in kind of took that magic away. But because it was so basic you could still picture it going on.

Thanks for listening.

- While writing this, I read a couple of posts. And this is another factor of 2D.

Laptops - the game has aways been able to run on a laptop without throwing the question in '...will the next FM still work on this laptop'

yea i agree i would take back 2d anyday even if i could use the 3d to its maximum i still wouldent use it. its not a feature i need or want i was happy with the 2d ! i think the 3d has took much of the fun out of the game i thought fm was a managment game ? if i want to play a manager game with 3d ill go for fifa manager but its crap and i would rather play fm 08 instead.the old champ managers where the best and see the people that say its great and fm 09 is the best fm ever they are the ones that have probly never played a previous version of fm or champ manager

yea i agree i would take back 2d anyday even if i could use the 3d to its maximum i still wouldent use it. its not a feature i need or want i was happy with the 2d ! i think the 3d has took much of the fun out of the game i thought fm was a managment game ? if i want to play a manager game with 3d ill go for fifa manager but its crap and i would rather play fm 08 instead.

You can still play in 2D mode ...

I do agree in a way... and in all honesty the way the 3D is now it does take away that factor of the game. HOWEVER if the 3D was mega

awesome (which I no doubt it will be in 3 to 5 years) it will be just as awesome I think... I think making the acutal ME as realistic as possible

is most important and while 3D is a nice feature SI probably should have left us with our imaginations a bit longer before bringing in 3D...

I think ill join the multitude of people playing in 2D alot and maybe 3D sometimes... Good post Walter

Got to agree with Walter on this one. Part of the appeal of the game was the manner in which it appealed to the imagiantion, you could watch the 2d representation of the match, but imagine in you minds eye, just how your keeper made that save, or just how your striker belted the ball into the net from 30 yards out.

That's difficult to do with 3d, which makes things more figuartive and more concrete and sadly, much less evocative and immersive because of the simplistic animations and occassionally odd behaviour of the players. I wasn't expecting Fifa's detailed graphics, but I was expecting better and more varied animation. For people that want to use it, that's great, I'm sure 3d will, in time, look fantastic, but for now like Walter, I'm switching back to 2d.

Got to agree with Walter on this one. Part of the appeal of the game was the manner in which it appealed to the imagiantion, you could watch the 2d representation of the match, but imagine in you minds eye, just how your keeper made that save, or just how your striker belted the ball into the net from 30 yards out.

That's difficult to do with 3d, which makes things more figuartive and more concrete and sadly, much less evocative and immersive because of the simplistic animations and occassionally odd behaviour of the players. I wasn't expecting Fifa's detailed graphics, but I was expecting better and more varied animation. For people that want to use it, that's great, I'm sure 3d will, in time, look fantastic, but for now like Walter, I'm switching back to 2d.

You need to read what Walter said again, he doesn't even like 2D really because he wants his imagination to do the whole thing for him.:)

Start from basics Walter, turn off your PC, sit in your favourite armchair, close your eyes, maybe hold a piece of cut grass in one hand and a piece of leather in the other.

There, you see? you now have the freedom to use all that imagination you were so worried about;)

You need to read what Walter said again, he doesn't even like 2D really because he wants his imagination to do the whole thing for him.:)

Start from basics Walter, turn off your PC, sit in your favourite armchair, close your eyes, maybe hold a piece of cut grass in one hand and a piece of leather in the other.

There, you see? you now have the freedom to use all that imagination you were so worried about;)

lol - I didnt proof read what I put. But it does come across like that. But you know what I meant ;)

I'm glad people understand where I'm coming from...

Don't get me wrong - I am still loving the demo - and SI are taking onboard everyones view. Its going to be a good one again ! - Trust me.

(I will be playing in 2D - I might give it a little go in 3D - maybe when Im scouting !)

i understand you completely, that's one of the reasons i still play cm 01/02, the simplicity becomes more appealing because we can imagine what's going on in the field .. but when we actually see it like in FM 09 the reality ain't that great

it's a dangerous path, i mean, in 2d there were not that many concerns related to the game's "environment" but when someone choses to bring the 3d aspect into the game than that person has to be sure it will be as fulfilling as the things we imagined in the older versions

i know we can still change to the 2d view but just knowing that the 3d is also there, it takes a little of the fun away because the so called "improvements" are not that great

Archived