will there EVER be a way to carry on games from one release to another ?

The painful part of the annual release of the new football manager (besides the patching :D) is always having to start a new game, saying goodbye to the team you had spent many hours of gametime building up, your bluesquare team you'd proudly worked up to the premiership, the clutch of young players you were developing, etc. etc.

i understand that every new version of the game introduces new parameters for the players and teams, but is it possible that one day a new version of FM will be able to import an old version's saved game, maybe filling in whatever's missing randomly or from the database, etc. ? surely with all the super complicated things the game does already, this is at least faintly possible. i think it may boost sales too, as having to start from scratch is probably a fairly common reason for people not to upgrade straight away.

i can't see it.

its more than just an upgrade you see. i would say what with all the super complicated things the game does allready that this makes it a very remote chance of happening. :)

but.. they can put a man on the moon...... :(

oh well, no big shakes. i guess it's cool restarting a game because everything goes back in line with real life.

Been mentioned somewhere else, but I think they could reach a half-way point and carry over some 'background history' on you as a manager.

For example - Whether or not you've won any titles in 08. So that 09 would, on taking over a Championship side, say something along the lines of...

'Mr Manager has been placed in charge of Championship side. The fans expect something special from Mr Manager, in the past he has successfully gained promotion to the Premiership and they will be hoping he can make their dream of promotion come true...'

Rather than the slightly weak but better than nothing 'previous footballer history selection' we currently have. I dont really want to be an ex-pro player, I'm just a manager :) You could stick with the current system if you wished, but it'd be nice not to throw away all of my background (I dont expect specific years, clubs and stats to carry over, that wouldnt work) everytime I started a new game/got the latest in the series.

I must have been elsewhere the day SI put a man on the moon.

There are way too many changes fro one version to the next to ever upgrade. Even if the was just one new field added to player data from one version to the next you couldn't sensibly upgrade without giving all existing players a random value in whatever that field was.

Been mentioned somewhere else, but I think they could reach a half-way point and carry over some 'background history' on you as a manager.

For example - Whether or not you've won any titles in 08. So that 09 would, on taking over a Championship side, say something along the lines of...

'Mr Manager has been placed in charge of Championship side. The fans expect something special from Mr Manager, in the past he has successfully gained promotion to the Premiership and they will be hoping he can make their dream of promotion come true...'

Rather than the slightly weak but better than nothing 'previous footballer history selection' we currently have. I dont really want to be an ex-pro player, I'm just a manager :) You could stick with the current system if you wished, but it'd be nice not to throw away all of my background (I dont expect specific years, clubs and stats to carry over, that wouldnt work) everytime I started a new game/got the latest in the series.

that's a good shout.

it's frustrating for me that, every time i start a new game in the premiership, the players are up in arms that an inexperienced manager has been hired (especially jermaine jenas, the cheeky get) ... i understand why it happens, and it's for a good reason, but if it's effecting moral and thus performance it seems a tad unfair. it's only a game after all!

I must have been elsewhere the day SI put a man on the moon.

There are way too many changes fro one version to the next to ever upgrade. Even if the was just one new field added to player data from one version to the next you couldn't sensibly upgrade without giving all existing players a random value in whatever that field was.

or - if they are a real player, they could take that field from the database. maybe scale it according to their age.

if it was a generated player, it could be 'intelligently' randomized - but then it would have been randomized when the player was generated anyway?

That was just a very simple example though. Obviously the reality is that a whole infinity of things change from one version to the next and even if some method of upgrading games from one version to the next could be implemented it could never sensibly be supported so there would be bound to be a crash through some small issue that wasn't thought of for the upgrade.

it's frustrating for me that, every time i start a new game in the premiership, the players are up in arms that an inexperienced manager has been hired (especially jermaine jenas, the cheeky get) ... i understand why it happens, and it's for a good reason, but if it's effecting moral and thus performance it seems a tad unfair. it's only a game after all!

Even though you can select your previous experience? You can select 'Ex Professional' player I think, then you wont have the above scenario (or at least dramatically reduce the chances when compared to starting out with no background. IIRC, you have to manually create your profile now, and not use the wizard.

Even though you can select your previous experience? You can select 'Ex Professional' player I think, then you wont have the above scenario (or at least dramatically reduce the chances when compared to starting out with no background. IIRC, you have to manually create your profile now, and not use the wizard.

really?? oh my .... since i've only ever started one or two games in the last couple of releases (yeah i know...) i've never discovered that option .... gawsh is my face red.

Yep - really :) Its been in there for at least the past three versions (including 09 in that). You can be an ex player, selecting ex International means you wont start at a decent club with the fans shouting abuse at you because you'll be known.

It was a good step, but quite small.

Im with thisboy, I always start a new game on day 1 and finish it on the day of the new release to see how far I can get would love to carry it over just a shame it doesnt seem possible. Id also like a Manager history option so I could fill in more background, then when I turn up to manage a club ive played for i get some media etc...

This is doable with some games.

For example Paradox games : Crusader kings saves could be converted to Europa Universalis 2 and EU2 saves could then be converted into Victoria an Empire Under the sun and then Vicky's saves could be converted into Hearts of Iron , very nice since you could start playing a nation from 800ad to almost 1950ad .

that's a good shout.

An easy solution, flog JJ :)

I've slowly grown attached to the lad in real life, but he is never as good in FM as he should be. Hopefully Man City will be as interested in the full game as they are in the demo.

I had hopes of this too once SI teamed up with Out of the Park Baseball, since you can do that in their series. But now that their partnership is over, I doubt it will ever happen. One thing they could do is make the editor a little more user friendly with a better GUI and make data entry a little simpler (in creating a team, players, etc.) and you could enter in your old teams stats. Then the game could then randomly assign potential ability relative to the actual ability that was entered without you having to see it.

the only way this'll ever be possible is that the day that two versions are so similar that it's easy to do.... at which point the new FM will be so similar that it's not worth buying. Thus let's hope it never happens.

I agree here. I'd much rather they work on improving the game rather than trying to stay within compatibility boundaries.

It shouldnt be possible imo, it's too unrealistic.

Imagine this: You play FM08. You buy Joe Wingback from Team FC. Save and exit. Load that game in FM09.

So there you are, with Joe in your team. Oh look! Joe is in his old team too! Omg, a clone?

And that is just for one transfer...

It shouldnt be possible imo, it's too unrealistic.

Imagine this: You play FM08. You buy Joe Wingback from Team FC. Save and exit. Load that game in FM09.

So there you are, with Joe in your team. Oh look! Joe is in his old team too! Omg, a clone?

And that is just for one transfer...

imagine 20 lionel messis running around the premiership! oh the chaos

If you only want the current teams and leagues retained, it should at least be theoretically possible right now. What I mean with that is that you could essentially start a "new" game with the same leagues and players as in the previous version . But there'd be no manager history, media history etc. How? Well essentially if you wanted to be all hardcore, you'd go in to the editor and edit it yourself. But you probably don't wanna do that ;)

What you really want is for someone who's written a save game editor to write a script to do this for you; i.e. read the database from your save game the previous version and generate a database/save game for the new version. Any new attributes would of course have to be handled somehow, but how to do so is left as an exercise for the reader.

It'd probably be a lot harder to have to include the various histories (e.g. sold Billy Claptrap to Bumbly Town for 3 squid etc.) ported, but they really don't add that much to the game. Copying one similar database to another is trivial if you know the databases' structures.

It is a shame that your history is not carried over as it should. But what i do is play for ex 08 till i have my new copy of 09 then look at what my current rep is in the profile so when i start a new game in 09 i will make my starting exp the same as it ended in 08.

This only goes so far but it does help esp if by the time you finish 08 your rep is no longer unknown but national.

Archived