Real Voice Commentary

I am sure a GERZILLION people have thought of this before but I was wondering why there isnt live commentary in the game. Like PES of FIFA

where there is acutally someones voice commentating the game. How come it isnt implemented yet into FM? Is it too hard? I think if SI went

to implement live commentary instead of the 3D this year it would have been really good to. Do they need special licencing? I mean I feel as

if a voice commentator would add alot more realism than the 3D match view thing we get in FM09... Is there any good mods out there which

adds voice commentary? I'm not whinging no nothing, I konw its not really a new idea but just thought I wanted to hear from SI what they

thought... Man imagine the day where the ME looks like FIFA10 and has voice commentary to... DROOL...

It gets very repetitive very quickly as you play a lot more games in FM, compared to something like Fifa or PES. It also slows the game down - consider how long the lines of commentary flash up for at the bottom, and then think how much longer it would take if each of those was spoken out loud.

Voice commentary gets very very very repetitive - I do my own commentary anyway.

As for realism, you are supposed to be the manager down in the dugout...how many managers are tuned into the local radio station listening to commentary of the game that is unfolding infront of them?!

the legendary CM2 had sort of a commentary....it was nice due the time the game was out.

the problem is the loops it will have..ppl will say its repeating itself :)

i would love it.

maybe SI will work on this project as did with 3D.

and will see in a few years that FM 2011 has it on :) i wish.

cant see them actually doing it.

It's not too hard (just record all the text), but, and it's a huge but, consider how much text would be needed to be recorded.

You'd need the names of all the teams in the world and all their players, PLUS all the possible player names regens might end up with and all the commentary lines, in ten different languages.

So whilst it theoretically is easy enough, the ensuing game would take up two blu-rays.

PES' commentary is woeful and they only mention a handful of actual players. Lawrenson (sp) recorded about 5 lines as far as I can tell lol.

VB

I think the PES commentating for PES08 on PS2 was really good. Horrible on X Box but I thought we genuinely very exiciting on the PS2...

Well so your saying if there was an opition of voice commentary you wouldnt want to hear it? Doesnt a real manager talk to his subs and

Ass Man during the game? Roaring fans isnt the only thing he hears you know. If the feature was well implemented wouldnt you use it to?

Have you head the Spanish commentator when he sings "goooooaaaaalllllllll" when Henry scores agasint Liverpool? I think its that one...

That would make a tremendous addition to the game if you ask me.

The problem with commentary is getting it to be unique every game and not repetitive, it would take a long time to produce something unique but it would add a lot to the game. It would be good to have very dynamic commentators talking about recent events in football and about the football league and giving their views, for this there would have to be more than two commentators. With increasing developments in AI this may soon be possible. The commentary doesn't even have to be pre recorded with developments in voice technology, it might take a lot of processing power though.

thought... Man imagine the day where the ME looks like FIFA10 and has voice commentary to... DROOL...

I hate Fifa, Pro Evo etc so that doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Voice commentary isn't high on my list of FM priorities, as has been said, it would be really repetitive and irritating after the first couple of goes.

As someone else has pointed out, one of the early incarnations of the game, CM2 I think, had commentary. It was really annoying actually.

I hate commentary on football games and always turn it off on PES for instance.

Personally, I think adding commentary would be a mistake for FM. The game certainly doesn't need it.

Am I the only one who enjoys commentating in my head? :o

What manager listens to commentary during a match?

What manager reads text commentary during a game? What manager stops halfway through the second half because the cat's jumped onto his lap? What manager freezes the entire game for half an hour while he watches The Simpsons? What manager chooses to only see highlights of the match?

You're such an idiot. Worst poster ever. Why do you even come here? I hate you! :D

What manager reads text commentary during a game? What manager stops halfway through the second half because the cat's jumped onto his lap? What manager freezes the entire game for half an hour while he watches The Simpsons? What manager chooses to only see highlights of the match?

You're such an idiot. Worst poster ever. Why do you even come here? I hate you! :D

I couldn't have put it more succinctly myself ;)

Mind you, I'd never stop FM to watch The Simpsons! Even my favourite TV programs I tend to watch with FM chunnering along at my side also. If it is a program I am very into I just stick the match on full match mode so I can keep an eye on it at a leisurely pace at the same time as the TV...if I were a real manager I guess I'd get sacked for doing that :(

I agree with your general point though Mike7077. It wouldn't add anything to the game.

FM is all about imagination and having a commentator would ruin the immersion in my opinion.

Ramos ??

Please noooooooooooooooo.

This would ruin the game. People are struggling enough getting 3D to work, I'm sure people won't want to go out and have to purchase new soundcards as well.

It's been done before (CM2) and it failed miserably, if you want commentary in a football game, go and play FIFA or PES, besides as someone has already said, how many managers would listen to the commentary of the game while he is on the touchline. Precisely NONE.

Please SI don't include this, it didn't work before, and I'm sure it would only make the game tacky.

Pity, my wife's training as a Community Psychiatric Nurse and it would have made for an interesting case study :p Spoil sport.

LOL! You lot are nuts! Anyway back on to the thread, no thank you to commentary! Just wouldn't work for me. Would be repetitive, boring and virtually impossible to get right. Think about how the computer would have to deal with regens names etc??

LOL! You lot are nuts! Anyway back on to the thread, no commentary just wouldn't work for me. Would be repetitive, boring and virtually impossible to get right. Think about how the computer would have to deal with regens names etc??

You make a good point. But that almost makes me want it to happen! I'd love to hear David Pleat, for example, getting stuck into Sunggaratvarainam Samvanthongoporat from Thailand!

virtually impossible to get right. Think about how the computer would have to deal with regens names etc??

I remember a game in the late 90's that attempted to use all the player names, but the recordings were hilarious and just didn't work with the commentary.

"KLUIVERT passes it back", :D

Aye, I've been playing TCM03 a little of late and still have John Motson's irritatingly pointless commentary line "To a defender in the box then" buzzing around my head.

Presumably the commentator would need to be able to pronounce the name of every player in the database to or just have the crap where he only mentions a player's name if it is one that happens to be one that the commentator voiced!

Please noooooooooooooooo.

This would ruin the game. People are struggling enough getting 3D to work, I'm sure people won't want to go out and have to purchase new soundcards as well.

It's been done before (CM2) and it failed miserably, if you want commentary in a football game, go and play FIFA or PES, besides as someone has already said, how many managers would listen to the commentary of the game while he is on the touchline. Precisely NONE.

Please SI don't include this, it didn't work before, and I'm sure it would only make the game tacky.

All of what he said. It would only be a distraction and is completely unnecessary.

Yeap, and that's without going into the fact that SI would then get requests for 'Can't we have the commentary in ******** (insert any other language other than English!), by the time they have done all that then we each need a Mainframe not a PC!

In truth right and in all seroiusness, one day FM will be like a virtual reality game. Where you would hook yourself up to the computer and

once your in the game you will acutally be there, coaching and talking to your players, sitting on the sideline and going crazy when your

defender miskicks and allows the oppostition striker to score. Like we talking the Matrix here and probably wont happen for a good 20 or

30 years but very exciting none the less... I think I'm gonna cop alot of crap for what I just said people calling me a lunatic etc etc, but

isnt this the dream of SI?

Furthermore it has nothing to do with the voice commentary thing, and people are so small minded... Oboviusly its going to be hard but

its not impossible to have a good unique and none boring commentary and as a fan of FM I would love to seee it happen and I would love

listening to it and it would add to the realism of my game. HOWEVER, it isnt the top prioity I know I just thought it'd be a nice addition.

In truth right and in all seroiusness, one day FM will be like a virtual reality game. Where you would hook yourself up to the computer and

once your in the game you will acutally be there, coaching and talking to your players, sitting on the sideline and going crazy when your

defender miskicks and allows the oppostition striker to score. Like we talking the Matrix here and probably wont happen for a good 20 or

30 years but very exciting none the less... I think I'm gonna cop alot of crap for what I just said people calling me a lunatic etc etc, but

Furthermore it has nothing to do with the voice commentary thing, and people are so small minded... Oboviusly its going to be hard but

its not impossible to have a good unique and none boring commentary and as a fan of FM I would love to seee it happen and I would love

listening to it and it would add to the realism of my game. HOWEVER, it isnt the top prioity I know I just thought it'd be a nice addition.

I was so sure that there would be no 3D match view in FM09 that I promised everyone on the boards a slap-up meal and a night in a hotel in Southport if there was one. After that, I'm not betting against anything! 'Football Manager 2050: Matrix Edition'. Who knows?

i turn off voice commentary in FIFA & PES anyway.... drives me nuts

one point is that the game includes an enormous database of unique player & team names. to record each one of them would take up a huge amount of time and disk space. just for the majority of players to turn off the commentary after three games .... really not worth it.

I was so sure that there would be no 3D match view in FM09 that I promised everyone on the boards a slap in Southport and a meal in a hotel if there was one. After that, I'm not betting against anything! 'Football Manager 2050: Matrix Edition'. Who knows?

That's more appropriate.

Who knows, is exactly right. CM97/98 was only 10 years ago and look at the differences, I dread to think what madness will be involved in a further 10 years time.

As long as they introduce WAGS and I can steal a few for myself to 'virtually interact' with I'll be happy!

I remember a game in the late 90's that attempted to use all the player names, but the recordings were hilarious and just didn't work with the commentary.

"KLUIVERT passes it back", :D

Had this on version of Fifa (05 i think) when ever Stephen Warnock got the ball i would get "WARNOCK!!!!" used to crack me up

the only commentary i will ever need is the one i can provide myself in all its sweary glory!

I have a habit of saying the name of each player in my head as he takes possession of the ball. For example:

"Rooney... Nani... Evra... Nani... Anderson... Hargreaves... Anderson... Aguero... Nani... Oh for god's sake! Don't just give the ball away like that!! Akinfeev... Ferdinand... Nani..." You get the picture.

Archived