3D Match Engine Jerkiness - A Bug Or Not A Bug, That Is The Question?

Hello All,

Just wanted some clarification really (and please don’t let this thread broil into a flaming argument) but is the 3D Match Engine Jerkiness Bug being classed as....well a bug and being looked at, or is it just being left as something the user has to fix by either tweaking certain things or buying a new Graphics Card. I have a small problem running the 3D matches and cant really see why my computer cant run that properly but can run things like Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 pretty easily (anyway that’s a different story). However it would be nice to know either "yes" it’s a bug and being looked into or "no" the jerkiness is something you’re going to have to live with.

If anyone has any clues be great to let us know.

Cheers

Might be a combination of both. My graphics card is very good and it still seems to jerk a bit.

Might be things like processor speed affecting the smoothness? Video cards and how people have set their systems up etc ect

Most likely to be hardware related rather then software.

Thanks guys, I too have a powerful computer which is less then 4 months old but still have a jerky match engine, oh well looks like I'll have to find a way to fix it myself or live with it. Not to worry still enjoying the game just cant get into the demo as I like to build empires at smaller clubs in the BSN or BSS.

i think it needs optimisation -- if i recall correctly, the first iterations of the FM2008 engine ran slightly flaky and that was in 2D. i think the problems may be more a result of the match engine itself rather than the 3D view, although the faults are more apparent when viewed in real-world 3D (players running on the spot, teleporting, etc.)

Agree with the building of small clubs. Looking forward to getting going with that!

I have a GeForce 6600 and 2gb of RAM. Run Rome Total War etc absolutly fine but I do get jerkiness also.

One thing that does help is watching the game in 'elevated' mode. Presumably as the view moves less it processes less and therefore jerks less. Shame you can't see the nearside corner flags though...any chance of getting that fixed?

Can anyone elaborate on whether defragging does work? If not I won't bother.

Would also just like to say that I've just had my third hour-or-so long session on the demo and its really really growing on me all of a sudden. Am so hoping that the processing speed of the main game is ok so I can play a proper long career with lots of leagues. Everything crossed because I'm excited now.

It would be nice to get an answer from SI on this one. I am guessing it is just something we will have to live with. I have a new laptop but it only has a Nvidia GeForce 7000m graphics card which isn't very good.

The demo is really jerky. It can be improved by playing on low quality, restricting my view to one of the more long distance ones and by having the match display in a split screen. It got a lot better when I download a modified driver from a forum too, but that probably isn't recommended for most.

It is strange that some seemingly more graphically intensive games play more smoothly than FM though, it would be good if we can get some sort of response on that.

Can anyone elaborate on whether defragging does work? If not I won't bother.

To be honest mate, its something that is worthwhile anyway. It might not speed up FM but it should speed up your computer especially if you haven't done it in a while.

If you guys have an AMD dual core processor, i posted the fix in the technical problems forum. I went from impossible to play to heaven just installing a patch from AMD that makes FM to be able to use both cores from the processor, while it couldn't before the AMD patch.

If you guys have an AMD dual core processor, i posted the fix in the technical problems forum. I went from impossible to play to heaven just installing a patch from AMD that makes FM to be able to use both cores from the processor, while it couldn't before the AMD patch.

I didn't know about this. Mine is an AMD dual core. I will be so happy if this fixed the problem. Thanks in advance if it does. Will download later when I'm at home and reply with the outcome.

Can you post the link here mate, I have an AMD dual core processor?

Oddly enough I only get jerky 3D when playing in the classic small window mode, the full screen TV View, while not perfect, at least doesn't bring on nausea.

Also it seems quite slow running on a quad-core with 4gb of ram which is scary. 08 games using multiple leagues usually only used a single core and flew along. The demo uses 2 cores and seems laggy.

Still liking the new features but the headaches the jerky 3D bring on may mean a switch to 2D classic when the full game arrives.

Found the site for those of you who want the file it can be found at:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

Its the thrid one down (AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4, You need to press Ctrl when clicking on the above link as it has been shortened)

Again thanks to Icy for pointing this out!

The one thing I am sure of is that we can expect to see improvements of the 3D display in every instalment of the game from now on. This is just one big constant work in progress, so most flaws (which are obviously there) are just the inevitable flaws of early versions in my books and not a bug (that is of course, unless there is a bug in the ME itself).

It was from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ . It only has drivers from Nvidia cards though. You can really mess up your PC if you install a dodgy video driver. So always ensure you have a backup first or alternatively cross your fingers and hope for the best as I usually do with stuff like that :-)

Thats great cheers for that m'man. I have a Nvidia GeForce 6600 so should be ok...everything crossed. :-)

It was from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ . It only has drivers from Nvidia cards though. You can really mess up your PC if you install a dodgy video driver. So always ensure you have a backup first or alternatively cross your fingers and hope for the best as I usually do with stuff like that :-)
To be honest mate, its something that is worthwhile anyway. It might not speed up FM but it should speed up your computer especially if you haven't done it in a while.

Thanks for that. Just done it but the two sets of bars on the defag screen were aligned exactly and it didn't take long at all so assume either the drive is very clean or I must have done it not that long ago and forgotten... :-)

yes i get the same problem last year with fm 08 and every previous version it has worked fine now the 2d is choppy/glitchy/ so its very silly to blame it on peoples computers when infact its the game ! i can play any other fm game and its not choppy and i can also play some heavy duty games and they work ok

Hello All,

Just wanted some clarification really (and please don’t let this thread broil into a flaming argument) but is the 3D Match Engine Jerkiness Bug being classed as....well a bug and being looked at, or is it just being left as something the user has to fix by either tweaking certain things or buying a new Graphics Card. I have a small problem running the 3D matches and cant really see why my computer cant run that properly but can run things like Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 pretty easily (anyway that’s a different story). However it would be nice to know either "yes" it’s a bug and being looked into or "no" the jerkiness is something you’re going to have to live with.

If anyone has any clues be great to let us know.

Cheers

3-D runs nice and smoothly for me on fullscreen mode, but is very choppy when I run it windowed. It's somewhat annoying, as I prefer playing windowed, but I can live with it for now. This suggests to me that it's the game as opposed to my hardware, but I'm no expert on these things!

Thanks Lads I think you may have saved me from wasting my money on a video card.

Tried getting answers before but no luck.

My DXDiag says I have a ATI Radeon Express 200 series & mine was also "jerky"

New Video Card or not?

Mine is very Jerky. Runs Smooth then stops then catches up, subs just slide to position. I have a 22" widescreen monitor running in 1440 x 900 75hz and a geforce 9600GT with a qual core intel Q6600 processor and 4GB of ram. Runs Fallout 3 clean as a whistle so come on SI Please cause it all looks so promising.

Thanks Lads I think you may have saved me from wasting my money on a video card.

New Video Card or not?

Can anybody help please

I have spent my whole week trying to get this to work better. I think I am going to give up now. I even spent 2 hours creating a batch file to shut down all the windows vista services that aren't required when playing FM. It took my memory usage from about 1gb to 400mb but didn't improve the game. I have tried 9 different video drivers, some of them give me better benchmark scores but none of them improve FM much. I thought one of them had but I think it was my imagination.

I have tried windowed mode, full screen mode, tv mode, classic mode and split screen mode. Vertical view in split screen is best but still not playable for more than a game or two. I have tried every other recommendation from these forums but not had any luck. My PC is running better than ever and is cleaner than the day I bought so that is something I suppose.

I think now is the time to give up. It is a shame as I have the newest computer I have ever had, the graphics card isn't great but better than I have had in the past. For the first time FM is unplayable.

I don't know what I am going to do to fill my days without FM. Maybe I can try and pick up my life I left behind when I discovered CM 12 years ago !! :-)

I have spent my whole week trying to get this to work better. I think I am going to give up now. I even spent 2 hours creating a batch file to shut down all the windows vista services that aren't required when playing FM. It took my memory usage from about 1gb to 400mb but didn't improve the game. I have tried 9 different video drivers, some of them give me better benchmark scores but none of them improve FM much. I thought one of them had but I think it was my imagination.

I have tried windowed mode, full screen mode, tv mode, classic mode and split screen mode. Vertical view in split screen is best but still not playable for more than a game or two. I have tried every other recommendation from these forums but not had any luck. My PC is running better than ever and is cleaner than the day I bought so that is something I suppose.

I think now is the time to give up. It is a shame as I have the newest computer I have ever had, the graphics card isn't great but better than I have had in the past. For the first time FM is unplayable.

I don't know what I am going to do to fill my days without FM. Maybe I can try and pick up my life I left behind when I discovered CM 12 years ago !! :-)

Well, you still have 2D so don't leave us just yet! :cool:

Well, you still have 2D so don't leave us just yet! :cool:

But thats the thing, we dont!!!!

For us that find 3d unwatchable the same applies to 2d!!!! Something isnt right somewhere....2d on my machine on FM08 was as smooth as anything but 2d, 3d, any type of view, ive tried them all, its not really playable anymore, its just too jerky and stuttery :-(

Quick update, I've managed to make some improvements by installing the AMD patch and new drivers for my Graphics card, Windows Vista and by manually setting my Graphics Card to go for Performance over Detail but still not 100%. It seems that for every step I go forward something else comes up, now because it is alot more smoother I'm seeing the players jogging on the spot more and sliding/moonwalking everywhere.....shigh :(

Fingers crossed for the patch!

I have problems with “jerkiness” and unless I use this windowed mode workaround, the game crashes when I go into a match. My spec:-

Nvidia GeForce 8600mgs

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250

2G Ram

Vista Home Premium.

It’s a Fujitsu Siemans Amilo xi2428 laptop.

New Video Card or not?

The ATI Express 200 chip is integrated into the motherboard and contains a reduced version of the X300 VPU.

Without getting all technical when it was designed in 2004 it was not aimed at gaming. As you can imagine 5 years later it simply cannot keep up.

Suggestion: You need to update your PC. It is not going to be as simple as dropping a new video card in there. The motherboard needs to go, along with it, the CPU and RAM will need updating. Sorry.

-E-

Archived