Went a bit overkill on the corners, methinks!

I haven't played the new patch yet, and I'm considering not installing it. I never really had a problem with corners. I spend 10 mins nucking around with them a couple of months ago and I score at least once every three games. Don't know what the fuss was about. Wonder if I'll go on a 3 season unbeaten run on the new "easier" version of FM08. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

Does near post flick on work again now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Worked for me last night, had a guy on near post and he scored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chas (Psyatika):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by williamshankley:

Does near post flick on work again now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like FM07...nearly automatic lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err.. any details? :p How to set it up so it "works"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

Jazzfusion, your player is a monster in the air, so ofc he will dominate one on ones in the penaty area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the point is centre halves dont score 25 goals a season in reality, regardless of how good they are in the air

I am now on the 10th of November and Vidal has scored 16 goals in 13 league games, plus 4 in 4 CL games. Every one from a corner and him challenging the 'keeper..

He is way out in front for average ratings. I just won my last game 8-3(Rangers beating Hibs). 50 goals for and 11 goals against in the 13 games (all wins).

I have beaten Man Utd home and away in the CL (2-1 and 3-2 respectively). Most of the goals were scored from headers/corners.

I am not complaining just now because I'm winning but it is unrealistic and will probably start to iritate me sooner or later.

Vidal has 19 heading and 20 jumping but he should not be scoring anywhere near as prolifically as that.

For me it's not too unrealistic.

So far my Italian DC found the net 4 times (3 after corners), my Canadian 2 times (both after corners), and I've scored maybe twice more from mixups.

Not too much for 17 games, considering the low level of league I'm playing in and the fact that I have two really good corner-delivering full backs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by emgergo:

For me it's not too unrealistic.

So far my Italian DC found the net 4 times (3 after corners), my Canadian 2 times (both after corners), and I've scored maybe twice more from mixups.

Not too much for 17 games, considering the low level of league I'm playing in and the fact that I have two really good corner-delivering full backs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think it depends on the player.

for example carragher is not prolific a goal scorer in any sense of the word even from corners, hyypia on the other hand should get his fair share.

but carragher is scoring quite alot from heading in corners for me.

I haven't scored from any corners so far in the new patch yet on 8.01 one Tal Ben-Haim was my top scorer at January with 15 goals, including a hatrick in one game, all from near post flick on so actually for me corners are going in less.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by asshole182:

what set ups are you using people? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could always read the thread to find out? icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WDG_ITFC:

Christ I've just implemented the above change and won my first game 2-0, both goals came from defenders scoring headers at corners!

Moral dilemma here as to whether or not to continue using it icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that that aiming corners to near post or 6 yard box? Was it the player set to challenge GK or near post flick/attack near post?

If you're an underdog and you've spent a lot of time and effort scouting for a big fat DC/SC then I'd use it.

If you're playing as a good team then its just cheating! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WDG_ITFC:

Well actually the first goal was scored by the defender attacking near post whilst the second was scored by the defender challenging the goalkeeper.

I'm QPR, first season. Think ill go with it! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha the under-dog distinction was meant relative to your league! icon_wink.gif

Where are your corners set to? And are they in-swingers or out-swingers? Cheers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Law_Man:

Well actually the first goal was scored by the defender attacking near post whilst the second was scored by the defender challenging the goalkeeper.

I'm QPR, first season. Think ill go with it! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are your corners set to? And are they in-swingers or out-swingers? Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just set to 6 yard box, left and right. Have my best headerer challenging the gk, and the second best attacking near post, working wonders thus far! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Law_Man:

Where are your corners set to? And are they in-swingers or out-swingers? Cheers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just set to 6 yard box, left and right. Have my best headerer challenging the gk, and the second best attacking near post, working wonders thus far! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And are you scoring the majority from the player challenging GK or attack near post or about even?

And do you have a right footer taking from the left and a left footer taking from the right?

It depends whether the testers were testing with teams who are strong relative to their league I guess...i.e. those with good headers. But in fairness, they probably should test at all levels really.

Although I have to say for me, scoring from corners is more prevalent than 8.01, but its not of the epic proportions you and others describe.

Just set to 6 yard box, left and right. Have my best headerer challenging the gk, and the second best attacking near post, working wonders thus far! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The player challenging the GK scores loads. The one attacking the near post only gets the odd goal.

Vidal is now up to 23 goals in 16 SPL games, and 4 in 6 CL games. Overall I have scored 69 goals in those 16 league games.

I play with wingers and plenty of long shots to gain corners.

And do you have right footed players taking from the left and vice-versa? A good corner taker obviously helps.

Also, I think clearly with your particular example the effect of this routine is a little distorted by the fact that probably very few (if any) players in the SPL that could get anywhere near to Vidal's stats.

The CL games may be a better example than the SPL.

Vidal is actually the best inmy game with headers and jumping.

Ryan Taylor takes my corners. He's excellent at them. I'm in December 2012 so I've clearly built a team way beyong anything the SPL has seen. Mind you I still haven't won the CL. I'm hopeful with the new patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coop:

The CL games may be a better example than the SPL.

Vidal is actually the best inmy game with headers and jumping.

Ryan Taylor takes my corners. He's excellent at them. I'm in December 2012 so I've clearly built a team way beyong anything the SPL has seen. Mind you I still haven't won the CL. I'm hopeful with the new patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good luck on trying to win the Champions League matey icon_smile.gif

So with Ryan Taylor - he's obviously right footed - so you've got a right footer taking from both sides. Would you mind keeping an eye out when you score from corners which side the corner has been taken from? This way we can have a look to see if outwsingers are just as effective as inswingers etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Coop:

Ryan Taylor is two-footed in my game. Very strong with the right and strong with the left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But does he take left sided corners with his right foot and right sided corners with his left? In my experience this doesn't happen, but haven't had a player like that on 8.02 yet in fairness.

I can't say I've looked that closely to see which foot he uses. I'll report back later if I can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers that would be good if you could, and then like I said, see which side you're scoring most corners from. Re Ryan Taylor - just look whether its an in-swinging ball or a flat/out-swinging ball.

Based purely on a single game Taylor seems to use his stronger foot whichever side the corners from. However I scored one corner from either side anyway.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it develops over several games.

Well just played my first full season on 8.0.2. Have kind of noticed this, with Everton, scored 18 goals from corners in 38 matches. It's possibly not crazy, Lescott does score a few in real life after all, although in my CL quarter-final, Yobo got a hat-trick all from corners which made me smile! Set up is as follows (playing my own 4-2-3-1 with home/away/countering 4-2-4 variants)

DR/DL: Back

DC: Challenge GK (most of the goals from corners)

DC: Attack near post (some goals from corners)

MC x 2: Attack from deep

AML/AMC/AMR: Outside area (1 of these will be corner taker)

FC: Attack far post

Next highest was Arsenal with 12. However the two guys who got the goals were Yobo (9 goals) - Jumping 17, Heading 16 and Ignashevich (9 goals) - Jumping 15, Heading 15, but Bravery 20 (think this might help for Challenge Gk)

I don't think this is at a level that should cause the hysteria that we've seen on the forum but it is noticeable... Having said that, I don't know what I'd have got with a Heading 20, Jumping 20 central defender!! Wanted to play a striker on Challenge GK, but DC's always have better stats for those attributes.

I can't say I've looked that closely to see which foot he uses. I'll report back later if I can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers that would be good if you could, and then like I said, see which side you're scoring most corners from. Re Ryan Taylor - just look whether its an in-swinging ball or a flat/out-swinging ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over six games I have scored from 12 corners. 6 from the left and sim from the right.

All the left sided ones have been scored by the player attacking the GK (Vidal). Only half of those corners from the right have been scored by him.

Archived