long shots, 1 on 1s, difficulty scoring, closing down, other bugs etc

firstly i would like to just say that the game is a lot better than the version that was released this time last year which was an absolute mess. i know several of the issues that im going to talk about may have already been talked about but i would still like to share my experiences.

ive now played a couple of months of FM 2009. its been pretty enjoyable except a few things. what is with all these long shots? its really annoying and pretty ridiculous when you get john o'shea shooting for 35 yards time after time. even if you turn long shots off it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever. also, the shooting from set pieces is ridiculous considering some of them are on the byline. please try to get this sorted, its really frustrating when you have such good build up play only for some idiot to shoot from 35 yards. oh and before you say it, ive tried many different styles and tactics but have the same results it seems.

as a result of the long shots i am finding it difficult to score even though i have a quality team. i am not conceding many either which is good but there are a lot of 1-1 and 0-0 when im dominating possession and shots. even mike phelan agrees with me.

scoring 1 on 1s still seems to be pretty difficult - this has been a problem in the past and i would like to have it fixed if possible.

closing down is also pretty ineffective as im sure you are aware of - i know you programmers must play the game and can surely see these things?

couple of other little things - there are 2 patrick vieiras at inter milan (at least there is on my version). also, i wonder if anyone else has this problem... when i type into the search bar it goes all crazy. for example if i wanted to look up 'ronaldo', it will spell 'rrroonnnalllddo' - it could be my computer i suppose.

it would be nice if we had the option to just turn the 3d pitch off and run it with just 2d pitch since it slows the game down so much. i get all the info i need from 2d pitch so find 3d superfluous (although it is a cute little feature) i suspect this might be a difficult and timely thing to solve....

will i buy it? don't know yet. all i would ask is for someone at SI to respond to this with their thoughts on what i have written, that would be great. if you could get these things sorted out and keep the match engine workable i will certainly buy it - but not if these things don't change. i'll wait longer that the original release date of nov 14th too, i just want it to be right! and i'm sure you do too... big improvement on last year though - remember all those disallowed goals? what a bloody nightmare...

Archived