Are you playing FM 2009 on Win XP Professional 64-bit?

I'd be very keen to hear from anybody who has successfully managed to install this game on a Windows XP Professional x64 system as the installer simply refuses to do its job for me.

I'd be very grateful for any tips as the 'potential workaround' that SI have put on the 'Technical Issues' (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55372) makes no difference whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

Phin

• SI Staff

There is a known compatibility issue with the installer and Windows XP 64-bit. As far as we are aware, the workaround described in the Known issues thread should get you around this problem. If it doesn't, we'd like to know what kind of problems you are experiencing and any specific error messages you get.

There is a known compatibility issue with the installer and Windows XP 64-bit. As far as we are aware, the workaround described in the Known issues thread should get you around this problem. If it doesn't, we'd like to know what kind of problems you are experiencing and any specific error messages you get.

Ok, I posted my problem in the technical issues forum previously, but it got a very cursory examination from Neil Dejyothin.

Please see my thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=1924657 for full details. The only thing to add would be that I downloaded the torrent version.

Thanks again,

Phin

@ most people, I find it amusing that I keep being referred to the 'installer issues' info when I already stated that I have done that and said that it does not make any difference, heh.

• SI Staff

Hmm.. then I'm a little stumped. As far as we know the workaround suggested works on XP x64, and I don't see anything strange about your system from your dxdiag report. If you right click the extracted "Setup FM2009 Demo.exe" (which is named the same as the compressed self-extracting executable, but is a different exe and needs to be extracted, setting compatibility properties on the downloaded exe directly won't help - sorry for stating the obvious), choose "Properties" and check the "Compatibility" tab it definitely is set to "Windows XP"?

The reason I ask is that if it still does not work after following the instructions, the only thing I can think is that the compatibility mode is somehow not being set properly when you click "OK" in the dialog to close it. Where did you extact the files to? You could try extracting (or copying the currently extracted files) to a folder inside your user folder (ie your desktop) if you didn't do this already to see if there are any permission problems (that being said, the compat settings are stored in the registry on a per-user basis, so it should/may not make any difference).

Can you try to update the Java on your system to the latest if you have not done this already? (This is also covered in the Known Issues thread). Just to see if there's anything strange about what OS is reported to the installer by Java.

Thanks.

• SI Staff
I'm on Xp-64 and I just changed the compatability mode of the setup file I downloaded (I didn't have to extract anything) and it worked fine.

Interesting (and good, it makes it a little easier). I stand corrected :)

I'm on Xp-64 and I just changed the compatability mode of the setup file I downloaded (I didn't have to extract anything) and it worked fine.

The same worked for me also, and did the same for fm08 demo and, again, for the "setup.exe" or what it was on the full game cd.

Hmm.. then I'm a little stumped. As far as we know the workaround suggested works on XP x64, and I don't see anything strange about your system from your dxdiag report. If you right click the extracted "Setup FM2009 Demo.exe" (which is named the same as the compressed self-extracting executable, but is a different exe and needs to be extracted, setting compatibility properties on the downloaded exe directly won't help - sorry for stating the obvious), choose "Properties" and check the "Compatibility" tab it definitely is set to "Windows XP"?

The reason I ask is that if it still does not work after following the instructions, the only thing I can think is that the compatibility mode is somehow not being set properly when you click "OK" in the dialog to close it. Where did you extact the files to? You could try extracting (or copying the currently extracted files) to a folder inside your user folder (ie your desktop) if you didn't do this already to see if there are any permission problems (that being said, the compat settings are stored in the registry on a per-user basis, so it should/may not make any difference).

Can you try to update the Java on your system to the latest if you have not done this already? (This is also covered in the Known Issues thread). Just to see if there's anything strange about what OS is reported to the installer by Java.

Thanks.

Yes indeed, the latest Java was installed prior to me attempting to install FM 2009. And I had already tried your idea of extracting to a new folder (on a drive with 36gig free space) and setting the Compatibilty Mode to Windows XP, and the setting was perstistant, it did not revert to unset or any of the other modes.

So yes, this has me stumped too, considering other users are reporting successful installs. I do not wish to go down the Steam route so I will give it a miss, me-thinks.

Ok folks, many thanks for your input here, I surmise that it must be a system problem at my end and I won't re-install the OS just for the sake of 1 game, that's more trouble than it's worth.

Phineas, have you tried just setting the compatibility mode on the exe itself? ie without extracting anything.

Yes, that was my first port of call. When that did not work, I extracted the entire exe to its own folder and tried the same for the alternate setup.

Neither method worked out.

This thread can be closed now, I am satisfied that the installer is not going to work on my machine.

Thanks all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Neither ways have worked for me but i found a solution for me. Change the compatibility of set(install anywhere self extractor) it was in M:\Disk1\InstData\Windows\VM for me and tick non-administrators can use this program. I hope it works for you also.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived