First Impressions

I've not had the demo long, only played three pre-season friendlies, but I feel the urge to say what I think.

Its really good.

There is a lot of talk on here about injuries but I only have 2 so I can't really complain, have had genuine injury crises before so I can cope without a mere 2 players. The 3D on my laptop is sometimes quite jerky but that's because I haven't got an amazing videocard, so I just play 2D and watch replays on 3D so I see the goals all pretty :)

The transfer market seems to be really revamped, again there seems to be criticism of clubs repeating offers but I've not experienced this and I think its a fairly minor problem really which can probably be quite easily fixed in the patch. The players moving clubs aren't ridiculous like those I saw on 08 (Mutu to Arsenal for £32m, Ben Arfa to ManU for £24m, Bentley to Real Madrid for £18m, Bale to Espanyol for £29m), the assistant manager 'likely players' feedback is quite cool because it gives further options.

The assistant also notices little things in-match I might've missed which is great; the removal of the farrows and barrows has made player positioning far more realistic, and the press conferences are great fun. Whether they'll get repetitive or not further into the game remains to see, I think it depends how many questions are programmed into the game. I love the rumours page, really good fun since I'm playing as Brighton and a Championship players are linked to me for loads of money I simply don't have, it really ups the realism. The individual moves training seems to work pretty well, I like the new skin, all in all I really like it.

I know there are niggling problems and some people are experiencing the bugs worse than others, I seem to have been one of the lucky ones who hasn't suffered from anything, even ddoouubbllee lleetttteerrss, and I realise other people are frustrated, but all the drama queen rubbish "I won't be spending money on this rubbish" etc is exactly what we saw last year, and the year before, and everyone still shut up and bought it anyway. This version is a hundred times more playable than the unpatched FM08 with the closing down bug, and people need to have more patience and appreciation for the hard work SI have put in. Yes, there are problems. But every game in the world has glitches and little bugs. That's the point of patches and updates. And SI has one of the best post-release feedback of any games producer, the fact the developers are so active on these forums is testament to that. I don't think the game is perfect, I didn't think 2008 was, or any game for that matter, but alledging that SI don't care (1) doesn't help, and (2) is ridiculous, if nobody buys the game SI would work even harder than ever to make the game as good as they can, any everyone knows that.

Basically yes, there are frustrations. But a Day 1 patch for the problems, and a game that after pre-season and the 'problem' with injuries becomes as immersive, if not more so than its predecessors, I think is a success, and SI should be applauded.

And I'm spent. :D

Archived