FM09, difficulty and tactical nous!

Hi guys

I've never been much of a tactical whiz, but I must say I am very impressed with the combination of 3D and the tactical elements of the game. It feels much more responsive now (my opinion) and I can see, with the help of 3d, how my instructions translate in the field of play.

Admittedly, when I first loaded up FM09 I was confused about how each of the sliders impacted the team and each other tactical option until I found this:

tactical observations in fm09; thanks to rashidi1!

Reading that thread made it possible for me to experiment and begin to comprehend how it all works, and I've even started relaying my understanding to others. So, unleash the Capello within by reading this thread! Unless, of course, you find the game really easy... in which case, ignore me altogether!

Actually I've just been thinking - I've only tried to really unlock the potential in 4-4-2. Has anyone manipulated a Capello, or Mourinho 4-3-3 and had considerable success?

It just seems to me, at the moment, that a 4-4-2 is a very balanced tactic and is very all-purpose. But I'd like to actually start a game in Italy where perhaps I can build success from a defensively secure type of game-play (much like Capello; boring but successful).

Haven't started the actual season yet but I've been battering teams in pre season with a dutch-esque 4231 formation:

Hart

Anyukov Richards Dunne Zhirkov

Gelson Diarra

Wright-Phillips Robinho Petrov

Hunterlaar

With subs like: Kompany, Johnson, Ireland, Elano, Arda & a soon to return Pogrebynak I should be well away!

I just beat M'boro 2-0 away 1st game of the season with that 4231 formation, awesome! Pogrebynak scored a wonder goal as he collected the ball from the half way line and finished them off in the last minute, beauty! FM09 is a great game cant wait to buy it! Although I cant stand watching the 3d pitch, the 2d pitch is so much better!

Actually, if you can work out a decent mentality structure for your team, you should be able to make tactics that replicate different systems.

One example of strange looking formations...you could make a 442, that plays as a 343 with one fullback bombing up while 3 stay behind as act as defenders. What's vital is understanding that mentality now plays a bigger role than it used to in FM08. That in large part has to do with the way arrows have now changed.

Actually, if you can work out a decent mentality structure for your team, you should be able to make tactics that replicate different systems.

One example of strange looking formations...you could make a 442, that plays as a 343 with one fullback bombing up while 3 stay behind as act as defenders. What's vital is understanding that mentality now plays a bigger role than it used to in FM08. That in large part has to do with the way arrows have now changed.

Oohs and ahhs Rashidi, that makes a lot of sense, its so intuitive I wonder why I never saw it before!

I will actually have to look into tactics a lot more than on recent FMs, as i tried a standard 4-42 and i sucked so much...

I have also tired the standard 4-4-2 and was performing well, not as well as on FM08 as the slider behavior has changed and the ME has also changed somewhat but as soon as I get a grip on changes I think that I will be able to make an really effective 4-4-2.

The new ME looks much more fluid now but I have some complaints as players tend to hug the touchline too much and so but all in all is good.

Oohs and ahhs Rashidi, that makes a lot of sense, its so intuitive I wonder why I never saw it before!

Oooh ahh, is this GQ? Is there a place where I can be more explicit..oh how blind I was....what is that I see..? is that the Training and Tactics Forum?;)

my assistant manager feedback always tells me that their is too much space between my midfield and defenders. Anyone know how i would remedy this?

your defenders and midfielders mentality should not be too far apart.5 notches is probably enough.

for example if i set my 2 CB defenders mentality to 5 then my MC's mentality should be 10. This should close up the gap between the defenders and midfielders.

Yeah, I've been using a 4-1-1-3-1 to good effect this time around, 2 CBs back at all times, attacking full backs, 2 centre mids, one of them an anchorman just in front of the centrebacks who drops to DM, one a regular ol' MC, an AM on each wing and a man behind the striker. I find using a AM/F C works best for the man behind the striker, as he can get plenty goals as well, and the wingers cut inside for crosses from the full backs too.

I thought that maybe the wingers wouldn't cut inside without the side arrows, but have found that once the fullbacks have taken up their attacking positions the wingers have the sense to move into the box anyways.

Yeah, there's times when I get caught on the break, but as I say at my press conferences I'm a man who believes in the good old "score one more than you" school of thought.

I even managed to beat Ross County with Berwick using this formation.

your defenders and midfielders mentality should not be too far apart.5 notches is probably enough.

for example if i set my 2 CB defenders mentality to 5 then my MC's mentality should be 10. This should close up the gap between the defenders and midfielders.

thanks alot!

I've been using a 4-1-3-2 and seems to be working well now that I've got my assistant manager to shut up about a huge gap between my defence and midfield. Turns out it was my GK having a mentality all the way to left that was causing the problem.

Cech

Bosingwa Terry Jagielka Cashley Cole

Essien

Arshavin/Kalou Lampard Joe Cole

Huntelaar Drogba

Something I've noticed is that you really need to fit your tactics to your player base this year. In my Portsmouth-game I have a tactic that just works wonderful. My players make the most stunning runs, dribbling and goals. With FC Copenhagen (much lesser team) I'm struggling to get a reliable tactic. I've had decent results -f.ex. 2-1 win over Lyon- but my team makes lots of mistakes. The aforementioned wonderful Portsmouth-tactic is VERY wrong for my Copenhagen side. I love that I have to go in depth with my tactics!

Archived