FM 09 too hard

I find 09 too hard to play for example in 07 I could in a few seasons win a league with virtually every team around. In 08 only English league was playable and other leagues like Spanish and French were also hard to play.

I think the closing down is a major problem in a 09 ME and 08 ME also.

In 07 and 06 You could easily defend yourself against every team and I find that more enjoyable than watching my Euro qualifications spot team lose to Almeria 5-0 and unable to connect two simple passes.

In 07 and 06 you could easily make a tactic that would work against most of the teams in the league and that was fun.

For example in 08 you couldn't escape from Nou camp with at least 4 goals in your net.

Please SI give get rid of those 3D cosmetic crap and give us back that old CM/FM feeling. I want to be able to win a league with teams like Sevilla and Tottenham ehich was very possible in the earlier incarnations.

After all it is not a simulation cause it is so flawed and when watching an full match very unrealistic.

In times of manager 05, 06, and 07, I was addicted to that game and after the 08 came out the problems began.

I find 09 too hard to play for example in 07 I could in a few seasons win a league with virtually every team around. In 08 only English league was playable and other leagues like Spanish and French were also hard to play.

I think the closing down is a major problem in a 09 ME and 08 ME also.

In 07 and 06 You could easily defend yourself against every team and I find that more enjoyable than watching my Euro qualifications spot team lose to Almeria 5-0 and unable to connect two simple passes.

In 07 and 06 you could easily make a tactic that would work against most of the teams in the league and that was fun.

For example in 08 you couldn't escape from Nou camp with at least 4 goals in your net.

Please SI give get rid of those 3D cosmetic crap and give us back that old CM/FM feeling. I want to be able to win a league with teams like Sevilla and Tottenham ehich was very possible in the earlier incarnations.

After all it is not a simulation cause it is so flawed and when watching an full match very unrealistic.

In times of manager 05, 06, and 07, I was addicted to that game and after the 08 came out the problems began.

It's not that the game is too hard, it's just that you're trying to win the league with Spurs!! :D

Lets be honest though mate, how easy is it IRL for a club like Tottenham, Portsmouth, Everton, Aston Villa to get up and win the league with the big 4 in place? Impossible atm imo. If you stick at it long enough in game it will be possible. But if it were too easy to win titles etc. with virtually ANY club, it would be totally unrealistic and i don't know if i'd stay play FM. It's 'challenge factor' is about right imo, not too hard, but still very challenging!

I do not know where is there a challenge when my Sevilla team can not win anyone away with whatever tactic I implement.

I am saying that it in 07 you could see some sense in tactics and in 08 you couldn't play Spanish league cause it was so hard and at some point unplayable.

All I want is that feeling from earlier managers where I as a virtual manager could make a difference.

I must admit my Man City side was the tits after a few players were brought in (Veluso, Ashravin, Bale). Pre-season UEFA cup we were ace. First game of the premiership we couldn't handle Middlesborough. I thought that was a good thing tbh. Good learning curve, maybe I'll take each game with more prep.

i've always played CM/FM from a fantasy point of view. Super-tactics, save game editors and real-time editors have always made the game for me. For me getting a team such as Vauxhall Motors to the Prem and winning europe is fun, I enjoy the fantasy doing something like that.

FM07 and 08 have been moving further away from the fantasy and into simulation and micro managment. Certainly in 08 one of the lead programmers stated something like "the match results are statistically realistic and results are manipulated" this I think was to paper over the cracks in the ME that allowed super-tactics.

FM09 as far as I can see is limiting the tactics even further, turning it into an almost automated simulation. Of course I am tactically useless so my point of view is somewhat coloured by my lack of tactical acumen.

After 8.02 patch, I've figured an OK tactic, managed to bring teams from bottom of the league or from 2nd division to league winners. I've tried same tactics in the demo and it looks pretty good. Only thing that bugs me are the injuries, but that is supposed to be fixed on release day. So far, I can't wait for game release.

It hasn't got noticably harder since FM08 for me. I started as Blackburn and lost 4-1 against Newcastle and struggled past Plymouth 3-2 in extra-time of a cup game. But in the same save I beat Chelsea 4-2 and United 1-0. In the end I got to 7th by January, which is a little better than I'd expected at the beginning.

Must admit, I am struggling with FM09 - sitting in a solid 19th with Spurs, with 3 draws and 4 losses out of 7 games. I've made some pretty good additions, but the players just aren't performing.

Still, I'm not saying it's too hard, I just need a bit more time with it to develop a new tactic.

Must admit, I am struggling with FM09 - sitting in a solid 19th with Spurs, with 3 draws and 4 losses out of 7 games. I've made some pretty good additions, but the players just aren't performing.

Still, I'm not saying it's too hard, I just need a bit more time with it to develop a new tactic.

Who said it's not realistic...

Harder is better.

İt is so lame to win champ league with 'bla bla utd' after a couple of years and win it again and again and again....

But its great to see even a worldclass team is struggling with a new manager,system,training etc...its just realistic and keeps you trying.

and if you dont like it;try fm modifier

It's all about the border between being realistic and being playable.

The joy of playing earlier games was that it was possible to make a rubbish team (okay, maybe not Spurs as you guys suggest, but Bolton for example) fairly good and challenge for honours after a few seasons.

With these later games that has gone and it's simply impossible for that to happen without some kind of cheating, even the most honest Footy Manager could not honestly say they could carry Bolton to the title in 2/3 seasons with some kind of cheating!!

I think it's really hard to get tactics right now, and teams always manage to score late goals after holding you out all match even though they've battered you. And it's very rare for it to happen the other way round.

While it can be enjoyable for it to be realistic I think maybe now it's verging on beig TOO realistic and a little bit too serious and difficult.

After all it's a GAME and NOT real!!! It's supposed to be fun and losing is not fun!!

On the issue of tactics..... Do you guys change all players' individual tactics, or stick with the pre-made tactics built into te game? Not sure which works better...

pre-made tactics are templates... like 442 can differ in many ways if you change TEAM INSTRUCTIONS, Wide, Narrow, Deep Defence, mentality...

I like to experiment.

Yeah... I meant to say even though you've battered them.. got it th wrong way round!!!

Think it's probably tough to judge it on the demo.. can't bloody wait for the main game, it's gonna be ace. I reckon the Italian and Spanish leagues will be a piece of ****! BUt the Premier League is rock solid who ever you are.

I think you'll be able to succeed more easily with defaults if you are already a really strong team - Real Madrid, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc

The lower you go, depending on your ambitions for success, you'll have to tweak the tactics to the forte's of your lower-quality players. Essentially you're going to have to be tactically superior enough to bridge the gap in skill/technique when playing a stronger team...

i change player's positions pretty much every game because every game is different

Yeah.. that's the future...

Guess it's a sign of the times.. I remember he good old days on Champ 00/01.. 3-5-2 with Ronaldinho or Kaka in the hole.. bye-bye competition, hello easy league title! Those were the days!

was fun doin tht but now i am older u think more into the game anyway also find the lower leagues are more fun because it is alot harder 4 me dnt know about you

Deffo... I'm definitely gonna start off in the lower leagues, can't be arsed with this Man U and Chelsea nonsense. First stop? The mighty Worcester City. Ole! Think it might be more fun and less stressful!

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried my hardest to adjust to the fact that this game is designed to be more like actual life, with results not always going your way, but there comes a point with this game that you have to think...am i enjoying this?! and my answer is no!

I am currently managing Arsenal (i have read all of the appropriate tactic forums within this site), tweaked with the tactics and arranged my team to play how i would like them to play, I have spent hours adjusting and experimenting with formations and individual player instructions!

But still i cannot score more than one goal a game unless its against stoke, i cannot go on a run of more than one game 'without losing' and quite frankly i dont think this game is a reflection of footballing reality!

I have played all of the old Championship manager games and the modern football manager games and i am sorry to say that this game is as bad as championship manager 3.

I know people have said its designed to be harder and its a challenge, i like to be challenged as much as the next man, but this game is borderline impossible, no one likes to lose all of the time or win 1-0 while playing poorly.

I am not the only one feeling frustrated with this game, this is obviously something that many people are finding. I just hope this is taken into account when the patch is released.

I also know that people will not like what i am saying, if this is the case show me how to start being successful, show more the best tactics and prove to me you can be successful in this game!!!

OK so the game needs to be at least somewhat challenging or it would be boring. But what do you do when you get everything right and all you get in return are stupid long range goals and every single curling shots hitting the post?

Is it my tactics that cause the ball to hit the post every game? :rolleyes:

I have tried my hardest to adjust to the fact that this game is designed to be more like actual life, with results not always going your way, but there comes a point with this game that you have to think...am i enjoying this?! and my answer is no!

I am currently managing Arsenal (i have read all of the appropriate tactic forums within this site), tweaked with the tactics and arranged my team to play how i would like them to play, I have spent hours adjusting and experimenting with formations and individual player instructions!

But still i cannot score more than one goal a game unless its against stoke, i cannot go on a run of more than one game 'without losing' and quite frankly i dont think this game is a reflection of footballing reality!

I have played all of the old Championship manager games and the modern football manager games and i am sorry to say that this game is as bad as championship manager 3.

I know people have said its designed to be harder and its a challenge, i like to be challenged as much as the next man, but this game is borderline impossible, no one likes to lose all of the time or win 1-0 while playing poorly.

I am not the only one feeling frustrated with this game, this is obviously something that many people are finding. I just hope this is taken into account when the patch is released.

I also know that people will not like what i am saying, if this is the case show me how to start being successful, show more the best tactics and prove to me you can be successful in this game!!!

For people finding 09 to hard: I also found it to hard,to the point that I almost gave up. But know I've found a tactic that works for me. It's 4-4-2 diamond, or 4-1-2-1-2 as the game calls it. You need to check player instructions and put them to "team" and not indivduel. Except for CB. Also, play wide (move the bar until it says "wide" then two tics more.

Alot of AI teams play a narrow style,so this works most of the time.

Tam style for me is attacking,normal pace,mixed passing,wide and defence deep (but only just)

If only I could get my ass.manager to stop complaining about the gap between defence and midfield lol

Deffo... I'm definitely gonna start off in the lower leagues, can't be arsed with this Man U and Chelsea nonsense. First stop? The mighty Worcester City. Ole! Think it might be more fun and less stressful!

There's a basement league team in Italy called "Monopoli". I find it interesting to try to bring these guys to glory and do a monopoly in Europe :p

i play as the toon, i finished 5th in the first season, only pipped to 4th. If i had been in the top 3 i would think it was too easy, i was however 13 points off third and 3 points of 4th in the end. Good realism. I again finished 5th in my 2nd season and lots of my better players (collocini, owen) etc want to move to bigger clubs, i refused them transfer and i have them playing unhappily for me because as soon as i get to champions league football they will be content. I myself am content at the difficulty level, its very realistic.

lets be realistic, its possible to do well with almost any team in this game. The choice of teams is like a difficulty level. If you choose to pick Chelsea, then that is like the easiest level...and if you choose to pick a team like gateshead and choose to get em promoted to the Premiership within say 7 seasons, then that is the hardest level of difficulty. Choosing a team like Newcastle, Spurs or Seville for that matter is moderately hard so it'd take a bit more effort to get them to win a title in the first season. I would say that the difficulty level of this version of the game is spot on.

lets be realistic, its possible to do well with almost any team in this game. The choice of teams is like a difficulty level. If you choose to pick Chelsea, then that is like the easiest level...and if you choose to pick a team like gateshead and choose to get em promoted to the Premiership within say 7 seasons, then that is the hardest level of difficulty. Choosing a team like Newcastle, Spurs or Seville for that matter is moderately hard so it'd take a bit more effort to get them to win a title in the first season. I would say that the difficulty level of this version of the game is spot on.

its called a challenge i started with luton with 30 points deduction and finished mid table then second season won promotion just because you cant win the league with who you choose does not mean the games to hard

'Not up to the challenge' ?

That is complete and utter rubbish, in most cases posted by spotty-faced teenagers with sexual disorders.

FM09 is much harder than any previous version. I've played FM for a couple of years and never had any problems with tactics before (and trust me, I normally spend hours on adjusting the tactics as I find it rather enjoyable).

Usually I would start off with two versions of 4-4-2 (attacking and defensive). It is the safest choice, the default tactic that works for most teams. If you use it the results are not stunning, but at least allow you to observe the game and adjust the tactics without the risk of getting sacked. This was the case with previous versions of FM.

With FM09, after starting a new season with Feyenoord I got massacred by the weakest teams in the league. The best I could get was 1-0 with teams that got promoted the previous season. Adjusting the tactics did not help much - the strikers wasting opportunities on nightmarish long shots and defenders trying to close down everyone who got near them, despite being told specifically NOT to (a few quick passess and runs forward completely obliterated my defensive line).

Finally, I got everything sorted but I must admit it was much harder than in FM08....but much more rewarding as well.

In Fm09 you cannot simply tell your players to 'attack', sit back and enjoy seein them bag 12 goals against Barcelona. You have to adjust the tactic constantly, to counter what the oppoisng team is doing and to expoloit their weaknesses.

You also cannot use the same tactic every year, for every match.

BTW. I've noticed one thing. Not sure if anyone has had a similiar experience but...

Does it seem to you that FM09, in terms of matches, is not that much about sheer skill, talent and creativity anymore?

To me it seems like majority of goals are scored by exploiting the enemy's errors and weaknesses.

A couple of star, expensive players don't do the trick anymore. Sure they help, but are not a decisive factor when it comes to the result of a match.

I love the fact in this game that it's not easy and more of a challenge

TBH in real life what are he chances of a manager taking spurs/AV etc to the prem title in 2 or so years?

It's actually realistic in how long and hard it will be to break your team into the top 4!!

I play as Liverpool and am struggling to finish above 4th, but as he team gells and the new players settle in I'm noticing subtle diffenences in how they play and the amount of goals etc.

Torres and diego are banging the goals in - however prev to signing diego to create Torres had no service so was poor!! It's these subtle changes and the fact you have to play a player in the corect role to get a performance that I love!!

G

The difficulty of FM09 is set by the club you pick, your goals and the challenges of other teams around you. Picking a team like Spurs and expecting immediate success just isn't going to happen, but you could develop them into a title challenging team within a few seasons with the right players and tactics, quicker than you could with, say Wigan, which would take a good few more seasons to do it. It's still possible, but the challenge will be much harder. It's harder in FM09 than in FM08 because many of the clubs have improved their squads (with the exception of Arsenal, who seem to do better than IRL, because some of their important players aren't injured, e.g. Rosicky and Eduardo)

For me, right now I'd say FM09 is easy as I've played 2 games as AFC Wimbledon in the Blue Square South division and we've won our first 2 league games 2-0 so far. I know I've now jinxed it, and will lose next time I load it up, but in terms of difficulty, at the moment I'd say it's about right. Of course, I've spent the time adjusting my tactics based on the players I have at my disposal, hunted around for some trialists, etc, rather than using any cheats, so I know I'm going to lose eventually but that is what will be fun for me, as I'll be looking for bargain players to improve the squad and tweaking tactics further, but I certainly won't complain that it's too hard and want to go back to 08 or 07, I'll just RISE to the challenge and try and beat it.

Archived