shutting steam down

I am trying to get the best possible performance out of the new demo and I was wondering if anyone knew how to shut down steam with the demo if this is actually possible. When I lcik exit on the steam icon it says i am running a steam applications. I didnt know if I should shut it down on processes of task manager in case I break something. any ideas?

You don't actually need Steam running to play it. What you need to do is go to: My Computer -> Local Disk C: (If Steam is installed here) -> Program Files -> Valve -> Steam -> SteamApps -> Common -> Football Manager 2009 Demo. In this folder you should see the FM.exe. Right click it and select "Create Shortcut" and a new icon should appear. Drag this to your desktop and use this to start the game. This way you won't need to load steam or have it running in order to play the game.

Or you could keep going to this folder to start it, but it's easier if you create a shortcut and put it on your desktop.

do you know if the real game will be able to play without steam on?

Since it will be available on its own dvd steam should only be necessary if you choose this method to authenticate the game. I think I'll be using the telephone to authenticate though.

Archived