Just how important is team gelling?

My answer would be... very important indeed!

I have just moved to a new club that required a complete overhaul and, despite having bought in the kind of players who should be challenging for the title, I am losing silly points here and there.

My team gelling has been 'current players are blending well' and has now moved to 'has a good understanding'. I believe I have seen some slightly better performances just recently and maybe a bit more consistency.

What are other people's views on this aspect of Football Manager?

C.

Firebracelet - really? I have been hoping that my team will gell over the course of the season and maybe put in a late challenge for the top 3. At the moment I'm sitting about 7th but still in touching distance of the top sides.

With previous sides, I have changed a little at a time. My new team, however, required a complete rebuild. I was surprised at how much of an effect it has had on the consistency of performances. I'm finding my players are making more mistakes and looking less convincing.

C.

overhauling a squad at a new club is near impossible in your 1st season. i tried to take over man utd in a downloaded gamesave, they badly underachieved the previous season. i sold 5 wantaway players for around £50M, 3 of which were defenders. rio retired too, but they had so many good CBs i concentrated on their ronaldo-less midfield. winning away was easy, but home form was diabolical...

my philosophy on signing players has always been reliant on what the scout report says regarding his personality. if he doesn't fit in with the overall squad personality, i won't buy him. definately works when adding a few new faces, but too many, even with the same squad personality, won't gel first season.

i always find it hard to bring in too many new plaers into the first team. When i do i usually lose. for some players, especially the younger ones, it can take a season or two before they started to play well

Another question related to this is will one new player effect team chemistry to the point that gelling time is required? Two players? Three players? Anybody have insight into this?

To answer DH - I usually find that 2 or 3 players is about the right number to bring in, especially if they are older experiencd and professional players.

You will notice, after each game, depending on the team you selected, that your assistant manager will report on the team gelling differently. For instance, my team gelling had just changed to 'good understanding' and then I started a weakened team for a cup match. When I checked the team gelling again, it was 'blending well' because half of the players had only played a handful of games for the club. Next game, I reverted to my usual XI and it went back to 'good understanding'.

To conclude, I would say 10-15 games is the right bedding in period. Also, for the most part, bringing in 2 or 3 first teamers would rarely have any major impact upon your team gelling. The exception being when these players are young and very different in personality from your established team.

C.

C.

bought Anderson in january 2014 from portsmouth for £15M (bargin imo) for arsenal. 3 assists on his debut, 1 assist against his old club. thats the quickest i've seen a player fall into the team, i know its just 2 games but he seems to play exactly like gerrard and van der vaart.

You will notice, after each game, depending on the team you selected, that your assistant manager will report on the team gelling differently. For instance, my team gelling had just changed to 'good understanding' and then I started a weakened team for a cup match. When I checked the team gelling again, it was 'blending well' because half of the players had only played a handful of games for the club. Next game, I reverted to my usual XI and it went back to 'good understanding'.

Thanks, it never occurred to me to check the team report after the game. I am still climbing the learning curve!

Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

I have just moved to a new club that required a complete overhaul and, despite having bought in the kind of players who should be challenging for the title, I am losing silly points here and there.

My team gelling has been 'current players are blending well' and has now moved to 'has a good understanding'. I believe I have seen some slightly better performances just recently and maybe a bit more consistency.

C.

Important? Yes. Is it critical enough for you to wait a whole season? No. Having managed non-league sides which almost always requires you to build a brand new side of players you find that what's important is a conservative stable tactic.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to have a tactic that's stable defensively and allows you to grind out results without conceding. My target is usually to go without defeat for as long as 10 matches. Once I pass that stage I usually find that my players seem to perform much better as a unit.

Originally posted by rashidi1:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

C.

Important? Yes. Is it critical enough for you to wait a whole season? No. Having managed non-league sides which almost always requires you to build a brand new side of players you find that what's important is a conservative stable tactic.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to have a tactic that's stable defensively and allows you to grind out results without conceding. My target is usually to go without defeat for as long as 10 matches. Once I pass that stage I usually find that my players seem to perform much better as a unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point Rashidi1 - I have since found that my team gelled quite quickly at around 15 games into the season. From then on results were stable and performances consistent. Towards the last 10 games of the season, the side had built up a strong understanding and I put on an excellent run of form.

C.

• 1 month later...

Archived