Please give me back FM08 match engine

Hi.

I play te CM/FM games since cm97/98. The games always had bugs, things i don't like, etc. But I barely complained, because nobody's perfect. But, I've played FM09 demo and I hated it.

I'm not complaining about the injuries, the strange transfers, etc.

I'm complaining about de match engine. First of all, is it normal that my pc, that is not very good, runs PES2009 perfectly with utorrent, messenger and firefox also running and it has many difficulties to run the 3D engine in minimum quality?

But I have another problem: I understand you guys wanted the 3D, but was there any need to ignore those, like me, who love the 2D engine? Now, if we want to watch the match in the classic view we have a crappy, small and ugly pitch and we also have to wait that the 2D pitch loads which is annoying. And why is the calssic 2D pitch so "heavy" this year?

Won't be changing now. Also have you tried the Elevated view, this is not as choppy and actually looks better. Also if you are having trouble running it, try playing the demo in windowed mode, this can be found in the Display section of Preferences and then maximise the screen.

You want SI to change the game to your personal preferences? Do you think they'll give ME a version too if I list what *I* want?

Okay, sarcasm aside, a lot of us are having problems with the 3d graphics despite having over-spec PCs. I'm setting aside this evening to try and work out why, but for now I'll stick to 2D. I find it's just a slightly different view, not small (must be your settings), but the main thing that annoys me is match speed -- even on key highlights it takes twice as long to play as FM08.

It's so infuriating that every year people moan. IMHO there is no better game. TBH even if si released the same game with an update I'd pay £30-it's a no brainer when you consider how many game hours you get. But when you think that they keep improving year on year and had the balls to actually make the step up to 3d, you have to appreciate it.

The 3d engine IS a revolution, it just takes times to get used to. Once upon a time people thought the world was flat and that the sun revolved around us...it's called progress.

Just because this is graphically different it is still based upon (and improved from) the FM08 match engine.

It's so infuriating that every year people moan. IMHO there is no better game. TBH even if si released the same game with an update I'd pay £30-it's a no brainer when you consider how many game hours you get. But when you think that they keep improving year on year and had the balls to actually make the step up to 3d, you have to appreciate it.

How many games hours you get? With the amount of injuries I keep getting, I have stopped playing the demo. No game hours there.

The 3d engine IS a revolution, it just takes times to get used to. Once upon a time people thought the world was flat and that the sun revolved around us...it's called progress.

Progess? 3D Graphics from a decade ago? Before you start this "its just a tactical tool" ****, what can you see on the 3D engine that you can't in the 2D?

Also, surley a tactical tool could be a little more polished.

The max I would pay for this game is £10.

Vaderspurs, of course its a good game, but you have to realize that they have been working on the 3D thing fopr 3 years.

Also the injury problem was highlighted in reviews of the game long before the demo but Miles himself denied this.

And all these easy and simple bugs that came with the demo you can really ask yourself, who is not doing their job right?

I mean as a Game tester, how can you not notice all these small things that is wrong in the game, it took me 2 games in to the game to notice ATLEAST 10 simple Bugs, and i could notice 10 simple things to make the game just look a little bit better.

I dont understand either how the Classic 2D view can be laggy, the Classic 2D view have been there for YEARS! And then we get a laggy 2D view, how is that even possible?

So many questions on who up in there did not do their job!?!

How many games hours you get? With the amount of injuries I keep getting, I have stopped playing the demo. No game hours there.

Progess? 3D Graphics from a decade ago? Before you start this "its just a tactical tool" ****, what can you see on the 3D engine that you can't in the 2D?

The max I would pay for this game is £10.

If you want graphics get fifa manager..simple really.

3d is a step up from 2d-it is impossble to say that is not progress. It is all about representation.

I'm a nowhere near a computer/graphics expert but i'm pretty sure that if si attempted to do 3d with fifa style graphics that:

a) it would take at least 2 more years to make

b) would be bugged to hell. Synching the animations with the engine would be a ridiculous process, so....

c) In order to have a non-bugged game the match engine would have to be stripped back to the most simplistic pile of dog***** you can imagine. It would be an arcade game, it would be awful, it would be like other awful footie simulations on the market.

RE: Injuries: you may be right on this BUT have you considered that injuries happen early in the game because it is early season when, just after pre-season, injuries are most common. Fitness levels are low etc.

You might be right but having read through plenty of posts it seems that either you're playing your players too much too early or you may have the box ticked that allows your players to play in the reserves game.

Please be constructive if/when you reply as I have been.

If you want graphics get fifa manager..simple really.

3d is a step up from 2d-it is impossble to say that is not progress. It is all about representation.

I'm a nowhere near a computer/graphics expert but i'm pretty sure that if si attempted to do 3d with fifa style graphics that:

a) it would take at least 2 more years to make

b) would be bugged to hell. Synching the animations with the engine would be a ridiculous process, so....

c) In order to have a non-bugged game the match engine would have to be stripped back to the most simplistic pile of dog***** you can imagine. It would be an arcade game, it would be awful, it would be like other awful footie simulations on the market.

RE: Injuries: you may be right on this BUT have you considered that injuries happen early in the game because it is early season when, just after pre-season, injuries are most common. Fitness levels are low etc.

You might be right but having read through plenty of posts it seems that either you're playing your players too much too early or you may have the box ticked that allows your players to play in the reserves game.

Please be constructive if/when you reply as I have been.

Yes, but I don't care about the graphics. I only care why such bad graphics require such a good pc.

Uh, you can actually watch a representation of a football match. Honestly, you need to look at this in baby steps. It isn't going to go from blobs to EA level graphics overnight.

I simply cannot agree with this post more. The 2D match engine is absolutely ruined!

OK, if they want to do the 3D match engine then that's fine, but why have they had to muck up the 2D engine as well?! Why couldn't they have kept it the same as FM08 where nobody had a problem with it!

I can't begin to express how angry and disappointed I am in the match engine. The 3D pitch is unrealistic and slow, so what would I hear everyone rant at me to do? Play it in the 2D pitch! OK, I'll play it in the 2D pitch then! But OH NO, they've ruined that too by making it tiny, poorly designed with poor graphics and juddery. It's so unrealistic and such a step backwards from the perfect 2D match engine of FM08.

Bring back the FM08 match engine!

I simply cannot agree with this post more. The 2D match engine is absolutely ruined!

OK, if they want to do the 3D match engine then that's fine, but why have they had to muck up the 2D engine as well?! Why couldn't they have kept it the same as FM08 where nobody had a problem with it!

I can't begin to express how angry and disappointed I am in the match engine. The 3D pitch is unrealistic and slow, so what would I hear everyone rant at me to do? Play it in the 2D pitch! OK, I'll play it in the 2D pitch then! But OH NO, they've ruined that too by making it tiny, poorly designed with poor graphics and juddery. It's so unrealistic and such a step backwards from the perfect 2D match engine of FM08.

Bring back the FM08 match engine!

It's the same match engine! Except it's being represented in 3d. If that's not to anyone's satisfaction they can choose the 2d option.

It's the same match engine! Except it's being represented in 3d. If that's not to anyone's satisfaction they can choose the 2d option.

Friend, people whose computers do not meet the minimum spec CANNOT run the game at all to play in 2D. There are also those with computers double the minimum spec that can just about run 3D (self included, had to play windowed on low detail to stop players running on the spot) but now find that 2D is also barely runnable as it is jerky.

Before you bleat about getting a better PC, people with PCs beyond the recommended spec are having difficulties.

Friend, I don't bleat, I'm making my point.

I appreciate what you say and that is fair that if it does not work with minimun specs it needs to be looked at. But, as far as I'm aware, SI are looking into it.

Regardless, my post was merely in response to the title thread 'Please give me back FM08 match engine' which, if you read the actual post, suggests the user has got the pitch working and has a problem with 'bugs', so in fact I'm not even 'bleating' about minimum specs.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

My fave version of this game is 00/01. in the sense that I played my longest game on it, and so got the most enjoyment. But at the moment I'm enjoying 08, and wouldn't probably enjoy going back to 00/01 now. It may be the same with 09, if I get it, and I wouldn't want to play 08 again. I remember fondly the original amiga versions - loaded one up the other year, so slow and basic!

One thing about the 3D - and I'm not a massive fan, but then that was the case when it was first announced, when people defend it by saying "its only been developed recently, in years to come it'll be great." Well, I hope so too, but are you basically telling me to not buy the game until one of the major parts of it is fully developed? If you buy any other game, say an action game, and find that after a few hours play, it just ended because that part of the game was still being properly developed, wouldn't you be a little annoyed? Or would you defend the game, saying "oh, in a couple of years it'll be great?"

This is not a complaint. I've had more enjoyment out of SI games than any others, and having watched the videos, the ones on youtube with Miles on, I was aware that the 3D was still in its infancy. Champ Man/Footie Man have always been a series that has evolved as the years go by, but this is the first time I really feel they've put in something that maybe wasn't quite ready, and could maybe have waited a year or two.

Archived