Legends / Icons - one for the researchers?

Seemingly the researchers are a little bit confused by the icons/legends feature.

Spurs - no legends but several icons inc Jimmy Greaves (surely a legend)

Sunderland - Roy Keane - a legned? not yet surely

Stoke - favoured personel - Ade Akibiyi - he doesn't even play for them anymore. Oh, nor does Gerry Taggart. Am also thinking that the Hull coach Steve Parkin shouldn't be listed as a favoured personnel for Stoke either!

Portsmouth - where do you start? Whole team listed as favourite personnel - perhaps the researcher confused this feature with the word "team" .

Newcastle - Malcolm McDonald listed as a favoured personnel and not as a legend. John Beresford listed as favoured personel but dont think he is at the club any more

Cannot be bothered to list anymore but IMO only Liverpool have managed to get the categories correct.

Maybe I am reading them incorrectly but I would think that the legends would be a list of maybe 3 or 4 players who have shaped the history of the club. Icons are the quirky players who the fans really like from days gone by and favoured personel are the favoured current players at the club.

How do other people read the meaning of legend/icon and favoured personnel?

Disagree there - If they have left the club and made some sort of mark on it then they should be either an icon or a legend.

Regardless of that statement my beef was that there is a huge lack of consistency between the researchers. Surely SI gave out instructions of what they were looking for

John Beresford isn't at Newcastle anymore?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I just got his name on my shirt?!?!?!?!?!?

What are you saying?

I could get Ronaldinho on my Hull City shirt but it doesn't mean he plays for them.

Beresford is not listed as a Newcastle official in the game - thought he was a pundit these days

People don't have to still be at the club to be 'favoured personnel'.

Then why have the distinction between favourites, legends and icons?

A legend should be an all-time dyed in the wool love for that club, for example Steve Bull at Wolves or Jimmy Greaves at Spurs, Ian Wright at Arsenal, Malcom McDonald etc.

An Icon should be those players no longer with the club but not quite at legendary status, so perhaps Klinsmann at Spurs or Bergkamp at Arsenal.

Whereas favourite personnel should be players currently at the club that the fans would be miffed to see leave. Ledley King at Spurs, Lampard at Chelsea etc. Once those players leave they can be moved into the the icon or legend category.

Otherwise all we've got is three different tags for what is ostensibly the same feature, favourite players. Mind you, considering how well new features are usually implemented it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Then why have the distinction between favourites, legends and icons?

A legend should be an all-time dyed in the wool love for that club, for example Steve Bull at Wolves or Jimmy Greaves at Spurs, Ian Wright at Arsenal, Malcom McDonald etc.

An Icon should be those players no longer with the club but not quite at legendary status, so perhaps Klinsmann at Spurs or Bergkamp at Arsenal.

Whereas favourite personnel should be players currently at the club that the fans would be miffed to see leave. Ledley King at Spurs, Lampard at Chelsea etc. Once those players leave they can be moved into the the icon or legend category.

Otherwise all we've got is three different tags for what is ostensibly the same feature, favourite players. Mind you, considering how well new features are usually implemented it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

This was something like I wanted to put at the top of the thread. Its such a mish mash (if thats a word) that it doesn't work. Some of the researchers have got it extremely wrong.

I would post in the data threads but it would need doing for each club nearly bar Liverpool. It would be overlooked anyway.

The thing is though that to me things like this matters.

Archived