Hold Back Release ?

Many people would kill me for suggesting this but if i was working for SI, i would postpone the game's release until the hardcore fans are happy and all the bugs have been fixed.

We need to think of the first timers here, i first got FM05 and i didnt sleep for a week it was that good. do you really want some first timers to think that FM09 is the normal quality ?

thoughts ?

Why? They are making a release date patch to fix the problems.

Exactly. Load up the demo, look at all the new feature, check out the 3D engine. Then wait until the 14th, download the patch, play a full season then comment constructively on any problems you see.

The game has gone into manufacture, release can't be postponed now. There's a patch coming on release day, so chill your beans.

Now you see, this is where SI take the p*ss, rather than have a release thats playable out of the box, they need to patch it. 'but the patch is out the same day' i hear you say, well what about people without access to the internet? How do they make a game they just payed £30 odd, playable? Cause my way of thinking is, if the game needs to be patched out the box then there is something wrong with it. Now if there is something wrong with it, it should be held back until it's ready, not shoved out asap.

To be perfectly honest, the only reason you'd think of releasing a game that need to be patched straight away (remember it's not out on the first day of the season so there is no timing issue here) is money.

I'm not pointing the finger purely at SI, i hate anything thats released when it's obviously not ready, but when you don't have the licencing that EA do, you need to make sure you have a superior product. Thing is if your going to screw over your customers that don't have a internet connection because the out the box release is bugged and needs to be patched, then you don't have a superior product.

My 2 pence worth...

The problem here is that the game is already playable.

There isn't major problem let alone a showstopper being reported. even if they didn't release a patch from what we can see in the demo the game would still be fine.

But then again we always have the moan wagon when the demo is released, some people are never happy

Maccer40: the game release being delayed would be useless as the "gold disc" has already gone to the distributors

Holding it off any later and they risk not having enough copies to meet demand. Both manufacture and transport costs. Shops only have a finite amount of space to hold back spare copies.

Imagine the makers of Champ Man / Fifa lurking in the shadows with a wheelbarrow full of their product, waiting for the shelf to empty in HMV... you'll get the idea of why they can't postpone it.

While I understand why the profit aspect is annoying for many on here, they are, after all, a company, and we do, as consumers, have the choice as to whether we buy it or not.

I'm disappointed in the demo but if I can get into it I won't be cancelling my order.

And would anyone be willing to wait this long for a perfect game: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/championship-manager-2009-to-herald-a--new-beginning--for-the-series-in-april

Championship Manager 2009 -- my favourite bit: "We have a whole host of new features which we’re incredibly proud of,” said Roy Meredith, General Manager of Championship Manager. “This is a new beginning for the Championship Manager franchise and we are 100% focused on getting it right, that’s why we have had a longer development time than any previous version of the game"

Thats APRIL 2009 for those who don't want to open the link.

I'll keep my fingers crossed on the patch.

The game has gone into manufacture, release can't be postponed now. There's a patch coming on release day, so chill your beans.

There isn't major problem let alone a showstopper being reported. even if they didn't release a patch from what we can see in the demo the game would still be fine.

But then again we always have the moan wagon when the demo is released, some people are never happy

Maccer40: the game release being delayed would be useless as the "gold disc" has already gone to the distributors

Rubbish, you can't call it playable when all you have is a 6 month demo. I think most people are worried by the fact that there are bugs found when you can only play for 6 months and there will be a patch on release day which shows that SI are worried about the games standard without the patch.

You say the game would be fine without a patch, but SI are worried by it enough to get a patch out on release day. Personally i ain't seen any bugs, but thats probably due to the fact that even with all my hardware being well above the minimum requirements, the most up to date version of direct x and all the latest drivers it still won't load the demo without instantly crashing. Needless to say that even with a huge amount of people with the same problem starting a thread in the bugs forum asking for SI to help they've been ignored, probably as Si are too busy slapping each others backs for the money they'll make, rather than actually dealing with the most important aspect of their business, their customers.

This is typical though, as there will obviously be a load of fan boys telling me that theres something wrong with my built for gaming PC and nothing wrong with the game, and Si employees threatening to ban me from the forum if i tell the truth about the game again

Now you see, this is where SI take the p*ss, rather than have a release thats playable out of the box, they need to patch it. 'but the patch is out the same day' i hear you say, well what about people without access to the internet? How do they make a game they just payed £30 odd, playable? Cause my way of thinking is, if the game needs to be patched out the box then there is something wrong with it. Now if there is something wrong with it, it should be held back until it's ready, not shoved out asap.

To be perfectly honest, the only reason you'd think of releasing a game that need to be patched straight away (remember it's not out on the first day of the season so there is no timing issue here) is money.

I'm not pointing the finger purely at SI, i hate anything thats released when it's obviously not ready, but when you don't have the licencing that EA do, you need to make sure you have a superior product. Thing is if your going to screw over your customers that don't have a internet connection because the out the box release is bugged and needs to be patched, then you don't have a superior product.

My 2 pence worth...

I can't recall a PC game of recent that hasn't needed a patch near to release in all honesty. Its the games market of today.

The bugs were found because about one hundred thousand (a guess) users have suddenly all come across the game each with different machines. And no matter what SI do they will never be able to recreate that with the testing they have. So its really no suprise.

Finally. If you think licensing is such a big thing, FM probably isn't for you anyway.

good point, after all it is a DEMO, and is mean't to be just that, yes it's the release version, but each and everyone who comes on this forum knows there will be a release day patch to fix any glaring problems so just relax for 2 weeks and play a fully patched fm08 till then and like the above said if when the first patch is out and you've given the game sufficient play time and it's still bad then by all means repost your gripes!

Your all like sheep!:

There releasing a patch on release day!!1!!1!!! *orgasms*

Its appaling that an established game developer has to release a CRITICAL patch on the same day that it is released? What about those who just go down the shop without checking the internet? I know someone just like that, my girlfriends brother, he will have to learn from me about the patch, even then his internet isn't the best in the world.

It just seems to me that SI really couldn't give a toss about the less fortunate people and all they care about is the rich little kids with the decent internet and computer there daddy bought them.

I think the testers for FM09 are a little clueless. I bet they are the same testers as for FM08.

Not as bad as the FM07/08 bunch, they were awful ;):p

FM09 is by no means a perfect product. No FM game has ever come out the box a perfect product, and the same applies to many a game released in the industry today.

The advent of broadband has meant that developers can push patches to consumers in a heartbeat. This console generation has been the first where console developers have had the luxury of being able to push patches to consumers, a concept non-existent on the PSX/PS2. It's something we as consumers are almost forced to accept.

With regards to delaying the game. Well, it's somewhat illogical - from all manner of perspectives.

The game will be patched - that's a given with every release. What's the difference between you waiting an extra x months and not

getting to play it, and purchasing it on the 14th, playing it a bit, then fully patching the same x months later.

If you want to get pedantic, knock yourself and start discounting the value of money and time, but ultimately there's not much of a loss between what you want and what is happening.

If going into a match causing the game to crash isn't a "showstopper" I'd like to know what is!

If going into a match causing the game to crash isn't a "showstopper" I'd like to know what is!

But technically that isn't a bug with the game. I'm almost certain that it will be to do with your software and/or hardware.

Even console games are released needing patches these days, Fable II, for instance.

That doesn't make it right, just means the programmers/company behind Fable II are as bad as SI and should be dealt with the same way, everyone should just not buy the game!!

No one can tell me that it was impossible for either game to come out without the bugs sorted, all it shows it that both were so eager for the cash they didn't care about the standard of the game on release, they'll just clear their consions(?SP?) by releasing patches. People will try to get away with whatever the masses show them they can get away with, and we let Si know we accept buggy games out of the box by buying buggy games out of the box. If we all stand up and let the game companies know that a buggy game out the box won't be bought, they'll buck up and delay releases till the GAME IS F**KIN' READY!!

No one can tell me that it was impossible for either game to come out without the bugs sorted...

With Fable 2 I can because the main bug didn't become apparent until they switched on the co-op mode which they didn't do until it was released.

As for FM09 (and any other game) it is near enough impossible to get every bug. I know this because I frequently talk to a former games designer who is now a lecturer at the university I go to. Be grateful that they are sorting out the issues straight away. A lot of companies wouldn't even both acknowledging there is even a problem.

Your all like sheep!:

There releasing a patch on release day!!1!!1!!! *orgasms*

Its appaling that an established game developer has to release a CRITICAL patch on the same day that it is released? What about those who just go down the shop without checking the internet? I know someone just like that, my girlfriends brother, he will have to learn from me about the patch, even then his internet isn't the best in the world.

It just seems to me that SI really couldn't give a toss about the less fortunate people and all they care about is the rich little kids with the decent internet and computer there daddy bought them.

Good point about people not knowing about patches.

I know a lot of people who play FM without being aware of these forums at all. How do they find out about patches?

It seems a bit unfair for everyone else that they are going to buy a game which is in need of a patch and may not realize it.

I also think a lot of people won't be able to run 3D. I am just about able to and my computer's pretty decent.

Good point about people not knowing about patches.

I know a lot of people who play FM without being aware of these forums at all. How do they find out about patches.

It seems a bit unfair for everyone else that they are going to buy a game which is in need of a patch and may not realize it.

Anyone who buys a game without playing a demo is asking for trouble though IMO. Obviously, it doesn't excuse bugs etc but I know that I never buy a game without playing it first.

I know its off topic, but i didn't want to start another thread but 2 things: first of all, ive tried to download the demo from NOTW but 25% in some message saying cannot download setup.exe (pretty sure thats what it says) and it quits. nyone know why? is it anything to do with how im downloading it or is it my software. second thing and... this is why i didnt want to start a new thread, but is it really as bad as everyone saying, (injury bug etc) and is this/these bugs happening to everyone or is it just a few who are disappointed with the game, i, of course will reserve comment untill i've played the demo. and thankfully a patch has been released on release day, whether people believe its acceptable or not

That doesn't make it right, just means the programmers/company behind Fable II are as bad as SI and should be dealt with the same way, everyone should just not buy the game!!

No one can tell me that it was impossible for either game to come out without the bugs sorted, all it shows it that both were so eager for the cash they didn't care about the standard of the game on release, they'll just clear their consions(?SP?) by releasing patches. People will try to get away with whatever the masses show them they can get away with, and we let Si know we accept buggy games out of the box by buying buggy games out of the box. If we all stand up and let the game companies know that a buggy game out the box won't be bought, they'll buck up and delay releases till the GAME IS F**KIN' READY!!

You're not very empathetic are you? - Let alone failing to acknowledge my post.

No one is saying that it's morally perfect to release products as such, but at the end of the day both Sports Interactive and Lionhead (who are ultimately Sega & Microsoft) have an obligation to their shareholders to make money.

Delaying release isn't going to raise revenues, it's merely going to stub them out.

However, if there's one thing I want you to read: no one is forcing you to purchase the game.

This isn't a life or death situation, you're standard of living won't take a hit without seeing another 2D goal. If you want to play FM09 when it's 'more polished', pick it up once the final patch has been released.

In future SI should hold back release until the game has been tested properly.

I don't know why they think its better to release a bugged up game with some really obvious problems than to delay it by a couple of months.

Which does more damage to your reputation? Working harder to make the game as good as possible or getting it out as early as possible despite any obvious flaws?

Its not hard to answer is it?

Now you see, this is where SI take the p*ss, rather than have a release thats playable out of the box, they need to patch it. 'but the patch is out the same day' i hear you say, well what about people without access to the internet? How do they make a game they just payed £30 odd, playable?

I doubd there is only a tiny proportion of PC owners without Internet access (maybe 0.5%), certainly not enough to warrant a delay. In my experience the game is great, i have only encountered a couple of small bugs, certainly not enough to sully it

Many people would kill me for suggesting this but if i was working for SI, i would postpone the game's release until the hardcore fans are happy and all the bugs have been fixed.

I'm a hardcore fan and I am happy, so we can get it released now, right? ;)

We need to think of the first timers here, i first got FM05 and i didnt sleep for a week it was that good. do you really want some first timers to think that FM09 is the normal quality ?

thoughts ?

alot of people said FM05 was terrible. bugs and everything.

The game is the best FM version ever. The improvements are obvious. In all areas. A patch would fix the minor problems, which really do not affect the game.

Whilst I agree this is the best version yet, the problems in the demo DO affect the game, specifically the crazy injury problem.

Archived