A Personal Review of FM09 Demo

Well its only fair to remark upon one or two aspects of the review which have been discussed at considerable length already. This new demo brings a number of interesting features to the fore and I wanted to just touch on a few of them here;

Squad Injuries; Brilliant new feature means that those who have wanted difficulty settings introduced to the game now finally have their wish with this innovative new piece of coding where you will now need to be at your best to maintain a first team squad of forty players simply to field eleven men by game four of the season. You would not believe how exciting it is when you have your 6th player injured in the first half of a match and feel up against it, like a real manager.

3D Match Engine: For many years I have tolerated CM and FM, all the while wishing that the enjoyment could be increased by comedy skits to break up the monotony. This new feature does that, AND MORE. I have been in tears of laughter as the ultra-realistic match engine shows my midfielder thrashing the ball fifty yards upfield and out of play under absolutely no pressure when a team-mate stands a few yards to the side of him. I also greatly enjoy the cutting edge graphics (However, a few games I have had on floppy discs are marginally better- but I don't expect FM to be as good a 3D depiction as the might of WOLFENSTEIN 3D).

Transfers: The game accurately reflects the current credit crunch, and deserves applause for this. Nod along sagely as the new 'rewritten from scratch transfer system' retains the same much-loved features. Cunning AI negotiations where you again get a comedy intellude as the computer will make a counter negotiation which is of lower value than your original offer, or go the other way and make you pay six or seven times a player's value.

Player Attribute Masking: No longer necessary, as the new feature of the player's attributes having no bearing upon their actual performance has truly revolutionised the game.

Real life frustration of a football manager is reflected perfectly too. Experience the anger and upset as your game locks and crashes, or keyboard double types every time you try to type. These are in the game to simulate managerial frustration and are really effective. They CANNOT BE BUGS because the game has been so rigorously tested as SI have told us on a number of occasions, so please stop complaining.

I give the demo 10/10.

Well aren't you just the funniest. Fair enough criticise the game and tell us your opinion, its your right. There are always going to be flaws in this game, as much as any other game, there have been some poor showings in the demo (injuries etc) however i have not experienced any crashing or double typing etc. I'm fairly happy with the 3D ME myself, about what i expected it would be, so i will still use it and look forward to the improvements on it next year.

Good for you to give your opinion, but did it really need ANOTHER thread?

Archived