*face palm*

Seriously guys, I'm 5 minutes into the demo, my first press conference, and I have to see the English language butchered.

"We will take a refrained approach."

Clearly, the intention here is to say 'restrained', because refrained makes no freaking sense. We know that the two words have similar dictionary definitions, but there is a clear and important distinction in their uses (hence why there are two words).

A restrained approach implies the approach is subject to the action - i.e. the manager restrains the approach.

A refrained approach does not exist as a concept, as refraining is something only the actor can be subject to. That is, I can refrain, but I cannot refrain you, that is a nonsense to say.

---

Why is this not in the bugs or data issues forum? Because it's not a complaint about the use of one word. It's an angsty cry of impatience with a game that remains primarily driven by text, yet spends far too little time and effort on its actual text content. Really, one english lit graduate is all it takes to knock these errors out (grammatical, sentence structure, misplaced apostrophes). I'm sure it's something looow on priority lists, but FM sells too many copies and has grown far too prominent in profile to be allowed to get away with such galling errors.

Archived