Do you remember when ....

we went from a pure text based CM to a 2D view? There was uproar, it'll never be as good as the text, the blobs are rubbish, they move like headless chickens, it'll never be realistic and so on. SI improved that and who would go be to the pure text now?

And it'll be the same will 3D, we've only played the demo for a day - by the time we get to FM12 we'll wonder how we ever did without it.

Take a deep breath .... remember the last decade with SI, it hasn't always be a smooth road (or pitch!) but just look back to the original CM. Look at all the improvements over the years, 3D is now at the start of a long journey. It may take a few years but I have confidence in SI to complete the journey.

KEEP THE FAITH :thup:

I completely agree with everything you have just said!

I'm not happy with what is being released on 14th November as I'm a firm believer in buying a polished product, however just imagine of the demo hadn't been released and we all went out and bought the game, then there would be problems.

I also have full faith in SI, afterall, they did say that the 3d match engine is at it's most basic now and they will be improving it going forward!

Keep going lads!!!

People don't like change. And change is certainly what we're getting with this version.

However hard it is for some people to believe. The game actually needs some graphics requirements now. And that isn't going to change.

I can not understand that pesimistic mood.

Noone is forced to use 3D. Match engine is still the same for text only, 2d or 3d. If someone does not like the new 3D, just stay with 2D until 3D will be as good as they want to be.

Enough.

I can not understand that pesimistic mood.

Noone is forced to use 3D. Match engine is still the same for text only, 2d or 3d. If someone does not like the new 3D, just stay with 2D until 3D will be as good as they want to be.

Enough.

Even if you untick 3D the 2D engine runs very slow. What was fine for me on FM 08 running 3 leagues on a decent size database is now poor, bordering on the un-playable on an FM 09 quick start due to some feature I'm not even going to use.

It's all well and good saying it needs to move on but I don't think they had perfected what they had. FM 08 was moving in the right direction but was by no means perfect. They needed to improve on that this year but they have gone backwards. This is basically FM 08 slowed down by poor feature that nobody wants.

The 3D should have been developed over the course of a few versions. Perfect it using BETA testers and then release it once it adds to the game. The way they have done it seems rushed, pointless and it's obvious that they wanted to make a quick buck by marketing an un-finished product just before Christmas.

we went from a pure text based CM to a 2D view? There was uproar, it'll never be as good as the text, the blobs are rubbish, they move like headless chickens, it'll never be realistic and so on. SI improved that and who would go be to the pure text now?

And it'll be the same will 3D, we've only played the demo for a day - by the time we get to FM12 we'll wonder how we ever did without it.

Take a deep breath .... remember the last decade with SI, it hasn't always be a smooth road (or pitch!) but just look back to the original CM. Look at all the improvements over the years, 3D is now at the start of a long journey. It may take a few years but I have confidence in SI to complete the journey.

KEEP THE FAITH :thup:

Good post. tbh a lot of the older hardcore gamers (myself included) remember the old days of CM93 when the game, as you say was text based, and that was how it stayed for about 10 years until CM4 came out, which was tbh a complete car crash of a game upon release day and I ca still vividly remember the howls of derision which SI recieved over the 2D match engine, however SI released the 'Enhancement Packs' which improved gameplay significantly, and by CM 03/04, the game was looking better, and much so after a couple of patches, I loved CM 03/04 as the match was finally beginning to settle down and we were now used to playing with a new and refined 2D match engine which has been gradually moulded and shaped over the last 5-6 years. The same is happening again, after being used to having a solely 2D match engine through FM's 05, 06, 07 and 08 in 09 we now have a choice, we can now play 3D, but like previous versions we can still play in our old favourite styles be it just text based or by 2D. Don't really see what people are moaning about, personally I was opposed to the idea, but after playing in Elevated view more and more I am seriously growing to really like this new feature. As with the 2D mode the 3D mode will be moulded and shaped in the coming years and I would say that by say FM2013 the 3D match engine will be unbelievable and we'll all be wondering what the fuss was about.

It can't be denied that the game does indeed have some issues which SI are aware of, and if they are not they any bugs need to be logged in the bugs forum for the guys to be made aware of them. But I do think once a couple of patches have been released and the moaners have played the patched version of the game, I bet they'll be on here showing off their star midfielder scoring wonder goals. In fact I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.

btw I am not an FM fanboy if that's what I'm coming over as, but I think SI have recieved a fair amount a flack over the last 24-48 hours and I'm pretty sure that they are working hard to rectify the problems and ensure that FM09 will, eventually, be as good as previous FM's. Yes, I have had digs at SI, but all of that has been said in the heat of the moment, and when I sat down and thought about what I said, it was a little bit childish, rather than giving negative criticism I, along with all the other people who are/were disgruntled need tp give constructive criticism, point out where the bugs are, what needs changing and what points are good and what points are bad. After all SI rely on our feedback to make the games better.

I remember a quote from one of the old CM's it goes:-

"A game made by the fans for the fans."

Let's keep it that way ;)

I think the main uproar is because those that can't play the 3d are using 2D but are finding it runs slow even though 08 ran fine! It is quite frustrating as to why the 2D is running slower than before when it doesn't need much more power as the 3D does! But eventually i reckon this is/and will be a brilliant FM. I was mainly just surprised at how the text thing snuck through! Elementary TBH!

Quality post-never a truer word spoken.

I've got friends to this day who won't play FM anymore because of the 2d engine-they're missing out.

On a recent nostalgia trip I bought what memory told me was the greatest game ever, CM 01/02. I updated it to last seasons' transfers too. It was awful. Not because it wasn't an amazing game for its time but because newer versions are just naturally better.

Archived