FIFA Manager 09 or Football Manager 2009?

Look ive been a loyal fan of the FM series, ive bought every game, every year, despite all bugs, since the early days of 98. Ive got the demo of FM 2009 and im abit disappointed and it made me think well why try something new. Is the new FIFA manager any good or should stick with FM 2009, i would like some advice.

If your attention span is so lacking that you can't play a strategy game without whizz-bang graphics you go for Fifa.

If you enjoy proper gameplay, an in-depth experience and the best (if still-flawed) football management sim on the market you stick with FM.

A better comparison would be with Champ Man. I will definitely be playing the demo but I doubt they'll be able to match FM.

Look ive been a loyal fan of the FM series, ive bought every game, every year, despite all bugs, since the early days of 98. Ive got the demo of FM 2009 and im abit disappointed and it made me think well why try something new. Is the new FIFA manager any good or should stick with FM 2009, i would like some advice.

You'll be back.

When I used to work for Halford's (many years ago) we would have customers go ballistic at the prices. They would go to Les Smith instead. Without fail, we saw them an hour later and they paid the price we gave them. the grass is not always greener on the other side.

You will have a go at FIFA Manager, then realise how much better FM is. FIFA is a shallow, gimmicky game that looks pretty. Save yourself the time.

Fifa Manager having better graphics is debatable... and it has just about the worst match engine... never before have I seen world-class players give away throw in after throw in after throw in. It's a laugh for about an hour... but it's not really a management game it's FIFA/PES with a wife and kids...

"I am a loyal fan":rolleyes: If you were actually that you wouldn't even be asking the question.

It's lucky CM isn't around to fuel a load more of these comparisons, at least that bears a resemblance to FM, FIFA doesn't the comparison isn't valid.

Oh and as a loyal fan of FM I have no way of knowing about FIFA.

"I am a loyal fan":rolleyes: If you were actually that you wouldn't even be asking the question.

It's lucky CM isn't around to fuel a load more of these comparisons, at least that bears a resemblance to FM, FIFA doesn't the comparison isn't valid.

Oh and as a loyal fan of FM I have no way of knowing about FIFA.

I can't help but feel that there are at least some EA people on these boards over the last day or two.

I haven't played Fifa Manager 09 but I tried 08 just to see what it was like and it was an absolute joke. Ridiculous match engine, stupid interface that was impossible to find your way around, missing options which meant that long-cuts had to be taken to get anywhere, random crashes to desktop every couple of hours.

The only fun thing about it was the stadium designer and even that didn't work properly and was fundamentally flawed.

The main thing you should know about fifa manager is that a 45 minute half lasts only about 6 minutes. There is almost no true defensive tactics as to get a 'normal' scoring game within that total 12 minutes the simulation runs on pure offense. Myself and others worked on mods to try to get it to run longer games but mostly you just end up with 12-8 type score lines.

Still, I cant say I havent enjoyed the fifaman games. Depends on what your looking for really. But if the most important aspects of what you want in a management game actualy include a good tactical simulation of a football game fifaman is not it. A lot of the other stuff within the game can be fun and the presentation is always A+ but you should be aware of what your buying.

M

I've played both FIFA and FM for the past two years and both times FM has won it. The wife/spending your wages can be interesting for a little bit but the Tactically side of FIFA is far too poor to hold your interest for look. Plus FIFA has incrediblly unrealistic transfers and can have people like Fabregas and Essien released on free transfers after a season or two.

So to round up get FM09 as its more of a challenge and holds your interest for longer.

Style v Substance.

I know that buying FM09 is still the right call because if I were to buy FIFA Manger I would regret it once FM is patched and working properly. The only thing that I've suffered with so far is injuries, and that has become workable with the editor that someone released.

i downloaded fifa manager 09 as usual, and i started playing it about a couple of days ago. And realized what a waste of 4 gig of download lmao :@

The only thing i liked about it is: There is a option where you send an Agent to talk to the player and club and find out how much they want and how much the player wants. Its the same as Football Manager, using the Scout mode lol ;)

i downloaded fifa manager 09 as usual, and i started playing it about a couple of days ago. And realized what a waste of 4 gig of download lmao :@

4GB? Either that's a big demo or you've pirated it. Not sure if that's an automatic ban here or if they only ban FM pirates.

Digital download perhaps?

FM and FIFA Manager can't be compared, in my opinion.

If I want fancy graphics then I'll play FIFA 09 (cracking game by the way). In FIFA Manager you can't possibily have the depth and feel that FM does, enough to immerse yourself for hours and feel like you really are a manager, where every intricate decision is your's to make. LMA Manager was decent, but it still pailed in comparsion to then CM now FM.

4GB? Either that's a big demo or you've pirated it. Not sure if that's an automatic ban here or if they only ban FM pirates.

Not Football Manager, i always purchase a retail copy of the net or store. *FIFA* i said, would not pay a cent!!

FIFA Manager is so awful and unsatisfactory, I could win 4 or 5 nil vs any top 3 side and really not care, sure the graphics are good in 3d, the presentation is spot on but the core stats and transfer engine are abysmal!, that said not played 09 but the last 2 were terrible! Football Manager is consistently awesome and one more game always means 1 more season lol.

Well if you go with FIFA you won't have any glaring problems which require a release day patch.

Fifa manager is awful. You'd be better off playing manager mode in fifa 09 which is pretty rubbish.

Who the hell would want to play a manager simulation game where it consists of choosing your girlfriend and setting the prices for burgers??? 6 year olds...at best.

avoid, avoid, avoid.

How bout you take it back to the old skool, play cm series i suggest cm03/04 with game speeder and bckgrnds etc . then , when fm09 comes out with teh patch on the same day!!! You buy it , come back here and appologise for ever doubting this.

For me FIFA Manager and FM Live.

Football Manager has an A1 database and match engine and FIFA for the escapism. So FM Live for the challenge, tactics and FIFA when I'm not really in the mood to be worrying about defensive lines, dangerous AMC's, how much a better striker is going to cost etc.

hahahahahahaha

crash to desktop, crash to desktop, crash to desktop, crash to desktop, again and again and again and again.

couldnt agree more, at least si support their games, i cant help but think ea are a bad thing for gaming, wish they would stop taking over other companies as well they wreck everything they touch, sure spore would have been half the game it had the potential to be if anyone else had published it.

i played fifa manager 08 and its just awful, its gimmicky and i find it hard to relate it to real football in any way, plus it takes such a long time to even play one season, although you will have lost the will to live well before that point.

if there is a demo definately try it but i wouldnt spend money it.

Just had another go, and i must admit i think the graphics on match day are utterly crap compared whats out there today, graphic wise i mean, the game and its new features which im still desovering are still good, but man i think the graphic on my amiga 500 playing sensible soccer where better. HaHa

Right i was 'GIVEN' Fifa manager 09, and its Very lacking in alot of areas, the UI is confusing as hell, and i have to view instant results as mylaptop keels over and dies when trying to view the match engine.

However

Its a good game if you just want to pick up and play a manager game without having to think about tactics etc. as the Tactics side is VERY simple, you have like 6 options for the genral team, theres also a million weird looking icons which make no sense, but hey it was free, and secondly its good for me to play on my laptop - when i get up before i leave for work, as the TV is utter Dross

BTW still got FM09 pre-ordered and will be getting into it on release day

P.S.

so happy EA managed to get the CD keys out in full :D

If you want to try something new, don't restrict yourself to the advertised titles. Charity shops have great but obscure management games (though these'll be at least quite a few years old).

Obscure is sometimes better! I was playing This Is Football 2003 last night. >_>

I have FIFA manager and i loved it for about three days then i got bored. Graphically it's class but it has no depth. If you want a management simulation then FM is the best but if you want easy enjoyment and to build a dream team with no satidfaction then get FIFA Manager.

Also i think this isn't the place to ask for a non bias opinion... the best i can do is say that they are both different types of management games for different types of people. One offereing immense frustration and brilliant satisfaction! being FM and the other offering ease and quick world footballing domination with very little satisfaction - FIFA

Archived