What happend to the 2D promise?

I supposed to update my system but haven't yet but will try to before the release date. As it stands I can't use 3D but 2D works. It's something hardware related though as I copied the same installation file from another machine which couldn't install the game and yet it installs on this one. Probably just need to fix some things to allow it to run.

What can i do ? I know 3D wont work but i have no problem playing in 2d. But at the start it says Failed to setup graphic system? Can ANYONE help?

Do you have an intel integrated graphics chipset? There is an issue with the GMA 950 and older that apparently they're now looking at - hopefully it is patchable.

S3 Graphics Pro Savage DDR 32 MB. It is most definitely not enough for 3D but 2d is not a problem for me. Il gladly play that but the game wont start

Ouch, that's a horrible card. I think I remember there being some specific problems with that one even when it was quite new as well.

Even so, if you go here there may be an updated driver for it: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/resources/drivers/legacy/software_archive.jsp

You'll have to work out exactly which one is the right one. It might not help for now, but it's a good idea to keep your drivers as up-to date as possible, anyway.

Yes i guess il have to upgrade to a proper video card but i really want to know one thing...hadnt SI said if all your minimum requirements are met to play except the video card you can yet play but in 3d? So if we are playing in 2d it is the same as FM 08 right? And FM 08 worked perfectly on my PC...hope the patch is useful and lets us play in 2d atleast...

It would appear that everyone (including me) with a substandard graphics card on my laptop will not be even able to play the game even in 2D. It looks like FM08 is going to see more action! On the otherhand are SI going to support the PS3 and XBOX 360 with the new game? I hope so as buying a XBOX 360 is cheaper than buying a new pc/laptop just to play FM09. Especially as I already have a XBOX 360...!! Any plans on releasing this SI on these machines?

There is no XBOX 360 game this year, Miles has already stated this.

Maybe they will reconsider considering that an awful lot of people will miss out on FM09 this year due to the spec problem. If it affects their pockets it may change their decision? I hope they do of course but if not I still have FM08!

Yes i guess il have to upgrade to a proper video card but i really want to know one thing...hadnt SI said if all your minimum requirements are met to play except the video card you can yet play but in 3d? So if we are playing in 2d it is the same as FM 08 right? And FM 08 worked perfectly on my PC...hope the patch is useful and lets us play in 2d atleast...

As bell posted, the game is now rendered in DirectX, meaning that everything including the main menu, the 2D mode, etc is rendered in DirectX - 2D FM09 does not have the same requirements as 2D FM08. FM09 at present requires a far better graphics system than many of the ones people are trying to use, irrespective of 3D.

Are you running a laptop or a desktop?

Maybe they will reconsider considering that an awful lot of people will miss out on FM09 this year due to the spec problem. If it affects their pockets it may change their decision? I hope they do of course but if not I still have FM08!

Is it honestly that many people? The minimum specs really aren't that demanding against current technology. Or are we saying that a large proportion of the FM userbase apparently use very low-spec hardware?

Is it honestly that many people? The minimum specs really aren't that demanding against current technology. Or are we saying that a large proportion of the FM userbase apparently use very low-spec hardware?

To be honest, the real issue here is that hardware companies have been distributing sub-par graphics solutions for years, with little to no warning to consumers about how it will affect their purchase. If someone looks at a PC and sees two cryptic names for graphics cards, and one costs £50 more, they'll probably pick the cheap one, then when it won't run a game as simple as FM they're bemused. Hopefully the ideas about collaboration between games manufacturers and computer manufacturers will actually result in some progress being made, although I doubt it.

I would imagine that the FM fanbase generally consists of people that don't have the latest and the fanciest of hardware. CM/FM has always been a game that's accessible for nearly everyone who owns a computer so this kind of reaction should really have been anticipated.

ATi Radeon 9250 256 MB GDDR AGP Video Card

General Features:

ATi Radeon 9250 chipset

256 MB GDDR memory

AGP 8x interface

SmartShader technology (supports Microsoft DirectX 8.1 feature sets)

SmoothVision

FullStream

Video Immersion

Connectors:

S-Video TV-Out

15-pin VGA

DVI-I

Regulatory Approvals:

FCC

CE

Package Includes:

ATi Radeon 9250 256 MB GDDR AGP Video Card

Quick Installation Guide

S-Video to Composite video connector

Driver Install CD

I need to know if this card will be good enough to work? I have an AGP slot so is this video card good enough?

As bell posted, the game is now rendered in DirectX, meaning that everything including the main menu, the 2D mode, etc is rendered in DirectX - 2D FM09 does not have the same requirements as 2D FM08. FM09 at present requires a far better graphics system than many of the ones people are trying to use, irrespective of 3D.

I think this is the problem why people are so upset, we were constantly told if we couldnt have 3d dont worry 2d is still there but its not, if you're pc cant handle 3d it cant do 2d on FM09.

It would have been better if you could have an option to go back to the 2d fm08 version if you cant run 3d

Archived