FM09 (Demo) - How good this year?

FM09 (Demo) - How good this year?  

242 members have voted

1. 1. FM09 (Demo) - How good this year?

Not too sure yet... Like in all seroiusness its a very very good game. However I think this year SI talked up

the game too much and I guess I like many other people in this forum had their hopes WAY to high... Hopefully

by the time the game acutally comes out and after 1 or 2 patches, we see a game that runs smoothly as

a minimum standard...

Ill still buy it! Not overly for or against to be honest, i use the demo to get familur with the diff new and improved aspects and match engine etc...I still think that more will be reveiled with the full game(patch will help though) like post season etc

disapointed myself - was hoping for a big improvement over FM08, but it's just not there. Not enough to warrant me going out and buying money on this update. I gave up even trying to get a match working - the 3d view loaded, but then the players stayed still whilst the words at the bottom updated.

Tis a shame as I was looking forward to this :(

i voted poor because quite simpley it is i love fm and i buy it every year but the demo is very flawed,i will still buy it because of my love for the game but wont play it till patching it,im just amazed how the bugs were not spotted by the testers or even the si team took me 10 mins and they have been playing it for months.i can run the 3d no problem but to be honest so far it dose't impress me hopefully it will grow on me

i voted good too. 3d engine aside (which doesn't work for me but i couldn't care less) the new features add to the game. i accept the odd bug - it is the demo after all and was the same for FM08 - and has crashed once, but saving regularly will negate the effect of this.

Installed the demo again last night and tried the work arounds, got my old kits, logos and facepacks to work and playing in windowed mode, am currently involved in a game with Chelmsford City and learning new things about the game every second I play it.

It's a great demo, it's just a shame that we have to use the work arounds to get it to work. BTW in windowed mode, I've not experienced no where near as much jerking in the match sequence, it runs much smoother, and so far *touch wood* I've not experienced any crashes. Also like the way your Ass Man recommends players for weak areas of the team in the Team Report screen, great touch!

Like I say I am finding new things all the time in this game.

Awesome for me. So awesome in fact that it's the reason I've signed up for this forum!

The 2008 demo was a huge disappointment, the match engine was ridiculously buggy and the rest of the game not much improved from the previous version. 2009 is a different story for me.

I can sort of understand people's frustrations with the new 3D engine, some of the players movements off the ball seem a bit unnatural and there really isn't as much animation as I was expecting, especially for goalkeepers. But these are cosmetic issues really. I've always understood the graphical match engine to be representative of the action and enjoyed the fact that it left much to the imagination. Time will tell whether I prefer to watch the 3D pitch or revert to 2D saving 3D for the replays. My own biggest gripe about the match engine is that TV mode is the default view - as it took me a while to realise I can set it up to stay on "Overview" and only switch to the pitch for the hilights (the way I like it from 2008) in my opinion that is the better experience as I don't like the way the action freezes in between hilights.

Despite these small points, I'm very happy with the match engine in FM 2009 especially when I compare it to the unpatched 2008 match engine.

Actual bugs that I've noticed in my copy so far:

1. One player sometimes holds onto the ball for a long time (would rather see them pass it about a bit more when retaining posession like this)

2. Players seem to get very tired very quickly, much more so than 2008

3. Players seem to get injured very frequently

That's it, none of these seem like serious faults of the match engine and all are surely fixable with some minor tweaking.

As for the people complaining about the performance of the 3D... Doesn't this have more to do with the extremely complicated AI that's going on behind the scenes than it does with the rendering of the graphics? In this respect there is no other footie game we can do a fair comparison to performance wise.

I voted disaster because I CAN'T PLAY IT!!!

I can't download torrents at work and nothing else that is suggested will download it correctly!

Just because I don't have the internet at home I'm being screwed!

you voted disaster because you can't play the demo, quality lol. download it on someone else's internet then or just wait for the game

disapointed myself - was hoping for a big improvement over FM08, but it's just not there. Not enough to warrant me going out and buying money on this update. I gave up even trying to get a match working - the 3d view loaded, but then the players stayed still whilst the words at the bottom updated.

Tis a shame as I was looking forward to this :(

Did you play until the end of the match? The players will stand still until there is a hilight to show. Turn off TV mode if you like, then it will work as the old 2D mode used to work where you can watch the overview screen until there is a hilight. That way you're never staring at a pitch of immobile players... This really confused me at first, thought there was something wrong

Or, of course, you could view the entire match...

I think it is very poor. My assistant Manager tells me i have a good squad (Sunderland) but my the first game i must play players out of position due to injuries. Each game after just gets worse.

Ass Man in game feedback causes more confusion.

Pascal Chimbonda and Steed Malbranque are having serious problems adjusting.

Why? They have both played for various teams in the English Premier.

I was having big issues with freezes etc. in the beginning but since it has started to work it has been amazing! I'm on an high-end computer so I haven't experienced any performance issues so for me the vote for Awsome is a no brainer. I'm so happy I gave it one final try..

Archived