About those arrows..

Just a question to any one of the devs.

Why did you choose to remove the arrows? Right now they only represent forward runs, thus the old arrows have been removed without anything really new implemented. I think this is a little sad, as I never like to see a feature taken out of the game, especially one that can have as big an impact on a tactic as this.

Another little thing I just thought of, why do I have to be at least 29 years old when I start the game as a manager? Is it because of realism? I don't really see a 20 year old manager being any less likely than a 29 year old female manager today, if realism is the answer..

I think it was something with it being used as an exploit? You could play with AM's with arrows to ST position and have them working as strikers, but also as midfielders allowing you to have immense defense. I don't know, didn't pay much attention. There's probably more to it.

I think this was worked out due to FMLive since the match engine are the same. They don't care much if you exploit the AI but you can't have an exploitable game against other players :)

The arrows were taken out precisely because they had too big an impact on tactics, unrealistically so.

The idea is that with their removal player intelligence and decision making came into play more.

You can achieve most of the effects of arrows but not so directly e.g you need to use the positioning and instructions for other players too to get say a winger cutting in.

I don't think this is a finished area yet.

Something needs to replace the arrows, though. The old-style arrows from the wing to the penalty box were the only way to explain, for example, how Cristiano Ronaldo works in real life.

I agree. Why is instricting your midfielder to play as a striker when in possesion an exploit? Ronaldo is always in the box when a cross comes in. Hamsik of napoli gets into the box so many times for napoli that he somtimes seems to be playing as a striker.

At least if they removed the arrows they should have added a feature which allowed you to tell your player to get into the box whever we have possesion or to instruct your full backs to play as wingers. This was especially usefull for me when chasing a game. oppositon teams woud park the bus when defending a result and when in possesion my full backs would get forward and stretch the oppostion defense thus creating more space.

In my oppinion rather than solving a so called exploit the removal of the arrows has simply given us less tactical options.

Ronaldo is always in the box when a cross comes in. Hamsik of napoli gets into the box so many times for napoli that he somtimes seems to be playing as a striker.

At least if they removed the arrows they should have added a feature which allowed you to tell your player to get into the box whever we have possesion or to instruct your full backs to play as wingers. This was especially usefull for me when chasing a game. oppositon teams woud park the bus when defending a result and when in possesion my full backs would get forward and stretch the oppostion defense thus creating more space.

In my oppinion rather than solving a so called exploit the removal of the arrows has simply given us less tactical options.

All of that is 100% achievable with forward runs and a more attacking mentality. If anything, it is more achievable, because they are making the run from the right place, rather than just playing as a forward.

As you say, Hamsik sometimes seems to be playing as a striker. With the old style arrows he actually was playing as a striker which means he is making no judgement on when he goes there, he just goes regardless.

• SI Staff
Arrow DO NOT show forward or backward runs. They are an indication of the player's mentality. Forward arrow means they have an attacking mentality. No arrow, neutral. Back arrow, defensive.

This is not true, they are representation of forward runs. If a player has a forward arrow, it means he has forward runs set to often, no arrow means it's set to mixed and a back arrow means the forward runs are set to rarely.

This is not true, they are representation of forward runs. If a player has a forward arrow, it means he has forward runs set to often, no arrow means it's set to mixed and a back arrow means the forward runs are set to rarely.

Crap, you might be right.

Archived