Cancelled

Thats it. My order for FM09 is cancelled. I tried FM Live..garbage (you can read why and SI actually agreed with me on my points in forums). I put everything on this, FM09. Soooooooooo wanted it to be the game I needed/wanted after FM08 was so poor (i had centre halves scoring 30 goals a season from corners). Alas, it is not to be. FM09 is FM08 patched except for:

1) A 3D engine my poor laptop csn't handle. Wait there my laptop is actually pretty bloody good, only 2 years old and plays every other game I have ever put on it....from what I hear the 3D engoe doesn't even look very good (PES it isn't apparently), so why does it need such upto date specs?

2) A squad that after 4 pre season games has 11 injuries..nice..at this rate I will have more injuries than a world war (no sick joke intended at all).

3) Players just standing there doing nothing. If I was a rubbish team with rubbish players then maybe so, but I am Man Utd (keep the comments you know what I mean) and top players are just standing there doing nothing on the ball and losing it.

4) A really annoying transfer specualtion and press conference system, it adds nothing unfortunately except for negatives.

Time is up SI. You can not continue to dish this out year on year. I have followed the series since it was on the Commodore Amiga. But it is tired and needs to be rebuilt. Something has clearly gone horribly wrong somewhere through the process of FM08 and is now stuck. The game is not moving forward, nothing is improving it is bringing out the same stuff with no real added value BUT with the same old flaws coming out on new release.

Enough is enough. For me it ends here and until I see something new and vibrant coming out a 15 year or so commitment to this series is about to end. Horribly disappointing, lazy and greedy programming and enough is enough. A sequel of a poor game (08) is not what is needed. A new game with real add ons that the majority of PC users can use (don't get the high spec seemingly needed for the 3D at all). End of for me I am very, very, very, very, very much afraid.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game is a system hog now, even when it forces itself to run 2d only. It's got in-your-face bugs that I'm surprised the testers haven't seen the moment they started playing the game. It's weak overall. Without 3d, the game has very little new content to warrant a full-price.

I don't think it was a 'high' spec that was needed. People keep saying i bought my laptop 1 year ago, 6 months ago. It doesn't matter if you went out and bought it today. If it doesn't have what's required then that's just the way it is, as with most new games. And yeah, it's not like PES. Surely you saw all the videos of it? And PES is rotten anyway.

But if you don't feel like spending your cash on the game, that's fair enough. At least you gave reasons etc. Maybe when you get a decent machine we'll see you back playing the game again.

mate it never required high spec, your laptop graphics card is just crap end of. suck it up. the game moves on and you have not with your laptop. Its as simple as that.

I'd try to look at it from another angle as well. The requirements would perhaps be more acceptable if the 3D looked like it needed this kind of hardware. It looks like something from 1996 though and as such I can completely understand why people are upset if their 2 year old computer can't handle it. They're not missing out on much though.

i agree with some points you made 3d engine needs some work but its only its first season and will take time to get it upto alot of ppls over expectations lets face there is only so much si can do !!! i agree there are alot of injuries but a patch will sort that out. i think that its unfair to really slate them as i thought fm08 was good and didnt think they needed to improve it a great deal.....yes transfer system needed sorted out an they have done that. i will defo buy just to have an updated version if anything. all in all yes there are problems but as far as im concerned it will only get better from here.

Even if you bought a laptop tomorrow it doesn't mean a thing. Most laptops are out of date if you buy them from the average high street store and will not be able to play good "high spec" games. I agree that FM09 is nothing over exciting but I can't think of a better footie management game on the market and I will still be purchasing it. There does however need to be some work done with the game (via a patch) as there are obvious issues that could no way have not been picked up by testers before-hand. I do think that SI don't employ testers, I myself applied a few times and never heard a thing from them and then every release is majorly buggie. Too much is spent on advertising and promotion instead of avoiding the glaringly obvious mistakes.

Agree with BUcket , from what ive seen it looks very impressive.....cant wait to play the Aussie league.

I remember being at the Sydney-Central Coast Mariners game last October (2007) and they gave away free copies of the FM08 demo which had the A-League as the league you could play in :D

That's true.

I for one am not giving up on FM, I'm enjoying the demo.

Yeah, I'm far from happy with the demo but I don't want to give it up either. As far as I'm concerned FM is only football sim I'd consider purchasing, so I'm hoping they turn this around somehow.

Thank you for telling us... if you got fooled into buying a gfx card that doesn't support the basics that increasingly new DirectX games require then I'm afraid it really ain't SIs fault...

Once this injury thing is sorted I'll love this game just as I did the others I think.

Oh and, isn't it funny how absolutely everyone telling us they'll cancel owns every previous copy of CM/FM and played it on the Amiga? lol

Thank you for telling us... if you got fooled into buying a gfx card that doesn't support the basics that increasingly new DirectX games require then I'm afraid it really ain't SIs fault...

Once this injury thing is sorted I'll love this game just as I did the others I think.

Oh and, isn't it funny how absolutely everyone telling us they'll cancel owns every previous copy of CM/FM and played it on the Amiga? lol

And most likely said the same thing last year and the year before...

I wasn't so disapoitend since i've found Santa Claus didn't existed.

Man what a crappy game, man toooooooooooooooooooo many bugs, missing kit on the info screen, wrong colours, shown the logos on the match screen instead of the kit. To many other bugs, if this is very near the final version, don't count on me to spend money on this piece of crap.

Sorry SI but you guys really messed up this time, big time.

:thup: Good post.

1) A 3D engine my poor laptop csn't handle. Wait there my laptop is actually pretty bloody good, only 2 years old and plays every other game I have ever put on it....from what I hear the 3D engoe doesn't even look very good (PES it isn't apparently), so why does it need such upto date specs?

2) A squad that after 4 pre season games has 11 injuries..nice..at this rate I will have more injuries than a world war (no sick joke intended at all).

3) Players just standing there doing nothing. If I was a rubbish team with rubbish players then maybe so, but I am Man Utd (keep the comments you know what I mean) and top players are just standing there doing nothing on the ball and losing it.

4) A really annoying transfer specualtion and press conference system, it adds nothing unfortunately except for negatives.

1. Sucks to be you then. Next time spend more money. You don't buy a donkey with a cart strapped to it and expect to win Le Mans.

2. This is a bug and it will be looked upon in the first patch -hitting the streets close to release date. If you dislike the game because of something like this, you my sir are a turd nugget. This is only a demo, not the full game remember.

3. ... My players don't "stand there and lose it". Maybe it's your tactics, maybe it's a bug occuring for some people. Surely this will be fixed too.

4. Then ignore them. This is implemented due to the voice of the crowd. This was a feature that most people wanted to add a little ***** to the game. Ignore it or do whatever. You have to be an [insert bad words refering to a largely stupid person/object]

See you.

While i do think the game has been moving sideways over the past 2 releases, i really like the balence of the game, alot better than 08 which i could hardly getting into because there was so many goals and stuff happening that didnt seem very realistic

after playing the game a while, the match engine is so much more balenced , i dont play it in 3d, dont like the look of it, but i prefer 2d view anyway, i dont play FM for graphics and bling

Although im not blown away with the demo, im looking forward to 14th November

I cancelled my order, too. Not because I think the demo is crap, but because my laptop was huffing and puffing very hard even with just 2D. The match graphics stuttered and it was hard to follow the action as a result. The same laptop runs 2008 no problem, so it appears the resource requirements are much higher, even if you're limited to 2D.

The only other thing that caught my attention and caused me to lift an eyebrow was the fact that when I was using the wizard to set up a new manager, every time I entered a letter in my manager's name, the letter was doubled. So I had to backspace to delete the extra letter each time. Annoying and so obvious I wondered how that got through...

But I'll come back to 2009 when I've got the machine to handle it. Of course, by the time I'm able to afford a new laptop, the game will be up to 2010...

I'm still enjoying 2008, though. :-)

I don't know why people think the press conferences are a great addition. Its boring, repetetive, and adds nothing

They've added so much crap, that after a few games you get bored.

I've already posted in another thread how bad I think the 3D is and how it should have been released when they had a solid product. The 3D is clearly rushed, in order to get the hype factor to make sales. Its no where near today's standard of 3D, it really feels like your playing a game from a decade ago

the press conferences do add something to the game..

1) it adds realism as all football managers do hold press conference and match day interviews..

2) what you say to the media may also effect your players morals so it does add something to the game that was not there in previous versins of FM..

i've been reading a few of these 'The Demo/Game is Crap' threads, and they all seem to be started by people with less than 50 posts and/or those who have only joined recently. Yet, they all say 'I've been playing this game since 1743, I design computers that talk to me and i'm a living god so I'm right'

In my opinion I think they are the problem, not the game. If you don't like it, then go away, CM is always looking for fans (god knows they need them). So bye bye, hope the door hits you on the way out.

i've been reading a few of these 'The Demo/Game is Crap' threads, and they all seem to be started by people with less than 50 posts and/or those who have only joined recently. Yet, they all say 'I've been playing this game since 1743, I design computers that talk to me and i'm a living god so I'm right'

In my opinion I think they are the problem, not the game. If you don't like it, then go away, CM is always looking for fans (god knows they need them). So bye bye, hope the door hits you on the way out.

A bit harsh dont you think?

A bit harsh dont you think?

not really mate, i've read approx 7 of these threads and it's same sort of people in them all, yes, I agree the game isn't perfect, but it's not terrible. Coming on here and lying about how fantastic you are so you know what's best for people that have obviously been playing for longer just got on my nerves a bit. plus, it's just after 2pm and i haven't eaten, might be a sugar low at the moment ;)

i tried downloading the game on my pc, didnt work, so managed it on my fiances pc, 3d didnt work even tho its a new machine but to be honest i felt i was playing the same game (08) i havent stopped playing 08 even in the run up to the 09 etc and there really isnt much difference i feel.

@sydfc4ever I think that is harsh and i also think that if things carry on as they are people will leave fm for other games.

I've been lurking and (sometimes) posting in this forum since 07 launched, which was the first FM game I've played.

If there's one thing I've learned about this forum, it's that every year when a new version is launched, a whole pack of posters come out of the woodworks, go on about how they've been long-term players of the series, and that this latest addition has finally put them past the breaking point and they will never play another FM game again.

Every. Single. Year. Like clockwork.

Ah, had forgotten the vociferous nature of the SI fanboys was so far out there.

Demo won't even work on my laptop that runs anything else I throw at it, and runs it well. (If I can run Team Fortress 2 well, I should be able to run a silly little management game.) Game won't even load. Something about framedyn.dll. Only reports I can find regarding FM2009 seem to be in French. Given the last one I bought, 2007, works just fine for me, I won't lose any sleep. Hell I still still play CM01. a game which was still the best balance SI ever made between fun and realism. (And I was a member of the board even then. The reason for my late join date here is I lost my old login details and couldn't remember them, and the email address they were set up for was long dead.)

And for the record I have been playing since the very first CM on the Amiga. It had an Arthur Mullard looking guy on the box staring out and pointing at you, the box was red, it was released by Domark, and the copy protection was attendance figures printed on the inside of the box lid.

Shove your attitude you arrogant kool aid drinking sycophants.

There's a very good reason this board has such a bad reputation.

• SI Staff
Thats it. My order for FM09 is cancelled. I tried FM Live..garbage (you can read why and SI actually agreed with me on my points in forums). I put everything on this, FM09. Soooooooooo wanted it to be the game I needed/wanted after FM08 was so poor (i had centre halves scoring 30 goals a season from corners). Alas, it is not to be. FM09 is FM08 patched except for:

Time is up SI. You can not continue to dish this out year on year. I have followed the series since it was on the Commodore Amiga. But it is tired and needs to be rebuilt. Something has clearly gone horribly wrong somewhere through the process of FM08 and is now stuck. The game is not moving forward, nothing is improving it is bringing out the same stuff with no real added value BUT with the same old flaws coming out on new release.

Enough is enough. For me it ends here and until I see something new and vibrant coming out a 15 year or so commitment to this series is about to end. Horribly disappointing, lazy and greedy programming and enough is enough. A sequel of a poor game (08) is not what is needed. A new game with real add ons that the majority of PC users can use (don't get the high spec seemingly needed for the 3D at all). End of for me I am very, very, very, very, very much afraid.

Just to clarify one thing Sheddy, since it was myself who responded to your feedback in the FML forums.

We certainly don't support your view that it is "garbage" which you seem to imply above, quite the opposite; however we do take onboard what you personally don't like about FML (although some of the things you don't like are actually things that many people specifically do like as you will have seen in the thread in which you posted) but we do intend to try and accommodate more playing styles etc in future.

FM-wise, of your points above reports of 1) and 2) are being looked into, while I'm sure any feedback a la 3) and 4) is welcomed by the team.

1. Sucks to be you then. Next time spend more money. You don't buy a donkey with a cart strapped to it and expect to win Le Mans.

2. This is a bug and it will be looked upon in the first patch -hitting the streets close to release date. If you dislike the game because of something like this, you my sir are a turd nugget. This is only a demo, not the full game remember.

3. ... My players don't "stand there and lose it". Maybe it's your tactics, maybe it's a bug occuring for some people. Surely this will be fixed too.

4. Then ignore them. This is implemented due to the voice of the crowd. This was a feature that most people wanted to add a little ***** to the game. Ignore it or do whatever. You have to be an [insert bad words refering to a largely stupid person/object]

See you.

Magic !:thup: Couldn't agree more :)

I lost my 'part-time' 2004 registered mavericktango when they changed the log-in system a while back :mad: so not all the post/join dates are correct for everybody but I agree with sydfc4ever anyway ;)

i like the speculation, as it's actually led me to players which i would not had previous knowledge of. guess it's no difference to searching through player search screen, but playing lower league, i prefer to limit to scouts and now assman reports and the speculation.

there is some optimisation on the 3d engine though. built a new desktop in the last few weeks with a E8500 chip, and HD4850 gpu, and4Gb ram so it's high spec components throughout, and it's choppy and laggy. so it's no use blaming it on old cards, or low-entry cards, as that's not correct (though I'm sure it might be even worse on their machines)

i think si have done a very good job they make the best football game(would you play anyother?)they make the user have so many things to do.they make the game so big so the user can have or the fun and play what is it 5,000 teams 350,000 player course a game that big will have bugs but when ever they are found si try the hardest to put it right im happy with the demo.thank you si

I love in this thread how people like to laugh at the guy for not having top specs. Newsflash, some of us have not alot of money to play with. Fingers crossed it'll work on mine, when the demo's finished downloading.

It's not just about having the specs. People need to take a bit of time to understand how their hardware works and make sure drivers, Direct X, etc are up to date.

09 is a fantastic game - the 3D is all I ever wanted it to be (and then some)

of course there are bugs. A game with such an amount of data like FM will always be faulted in some degree - I can live with it to some degree. Whether or not my world class right back makes a mistake and looses the ball because he's not moving - it's probably a reflection (maybe a poor one) of one of your own tactical errors. It all comes down to your tactics....:)

I don't understand what you're trying to say. I know I was young at the time but i'm quite certain I played CM1 on my Amiga. Maybe i'm wrong?

Archived