Minimum Specs for 2d?

You can't install the game unless your graphics card meets the requirements for 3D.

So to play in 2D you still need the full monty.

I don't know if they can (or will) change the install application so you can install in spite of being under the 3D spec, enabling you to play 2D only.

Guest cjthompson

I'd really like to question the minimum specs.

When you think about it, why do they require such a high graphics card anyway? One of the good points in the FM series in my opinion has always been the fact that the specs are quite low. Just a gig of ram and an average modern'ish processor and each version has run on most machines. I Know that we now have 3D, but let's think about what we get, a simple plane with a texture or two on it and a few animated blobs with shadows.

Why on earth does that require such a complex graphics card? I can list any number of games that render much more complex 3D on far less hardware. Heck, Quake is what, 10+ years old now and that had a great 3D engine that'd run on a simple 32meg GFX card. Previous versions of FIFA and the like still look far superior, yet have lower or comparable requirements. Games like Halo etc all get away with less demanding hardware.

Why are SI requiring cards with vertex and pixel shaders and Hardware T&L and everything else? what is it being used for? and 128mb+ gfx cards? why? all that's being uploaded to the card is a few simple bits of geometry and a small number of textures.

For what it's worth, I can run the new 3D fine on my PC. I was just hoping to be able to play on a laptop like I have done with earlier releases. The current state of things makes me wonder if that would even be possible.

they said that a computer that runs fm 2008 will at least run fm 2009 2d mode

They may say that but it's simply not true. My laptop, which is running FM08 just fine, totally chokes under FM09. Everything is slower and the 2D is so jerky that it's unwatchable. Yes, I said TWO-D, the 3D isn't even an option that's available on my machine.

I'd really like to question the minimum specs.

When you think about it, why do they require such a high graphics card anyway? One of the good points in the FM series in my opinion has always been the fact that the specs are quite low. Just a gig of ram and an average modern'ish processor and each version has run on most machines. I Know that we now have 3D, but let's think about what we get, a simple plane with a texture or two on it and a few animated blobs with shadows.

Why on earth does that require such a complex graphics card? I can list any number of games that render much more complex 3D on far less hardware. Heck, Quake is what, 10+ years old now and that had a great 3D engine that'd run on a simple 32meg GFX card. Previous versions of FIFA and the like still look far superior, yet have lower or comparable requirements. Games like Halo etc all get away with less demanding hardware.

Why are SI requiring cards with vertex and pixel shaders and Hardware T&L and everything else? what is it being used for? and 128mb+ gfx cards? why? all that's being uploaded to the card is a few simple bits of geometry and a small number of textures.

For what it's worth, I can run the new 3D fine on my PC. I was just hoping to be able to play on a laptop like I have done with earlier releases. The current state of things makes me wonder if that would even be possible.

Gotta admit i am fairly fuming about that - i bought a new laptop just to play FM08, high end processor load of ram etc, but of course said "nah just the onboard graphics is fine"

:( /me can't afford a new laptop every year

Archived