Scottish Premier League Rules

Is there anyway to change the rules so that you can have any subs you want?

I was playing as Rangers and really not enjoying it too much since when I had the maximum number of subs during league matches, it kept giving that message "You must have atleast 2 U-21 outfield players" so I could only go into the game with 3 subs at a time.

Quite frustrating.

I was playing as Rangers and really not enjoying it too much since when I had the maximum number of subs during league matches, it kept giving that message "You must have atleast 2 U-21 outfield players" so I could only go into the game with 3 subs at a time.

Quite frustrating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

Quite frustrating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But they are the rules. Abide by them.

As this is the rules of the Scottish league then i'm glad SI put it in the game. In real life its something that needs to be done to help English players come through.

With 7 subs available soon, the EPL should make it compulsory to have 3 out of 18 in the match squad under 21 or homegrown or the like. It would benefit the national team as it has done in Scotland significantly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shaggy61:

As this is the rules of the Scottish league then i'm glad SI put it in the game. In real life its something that needs to be done to help English players come through.

With 7 subs available soon, the EPL should make it compulsory to have 3 out of 18 in the match squad under 21 or homegrown or the like. It would benefit the national team as it has done in Scotland significantly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The situation is not as cut and dried as that last statement suggests - you would think so, but what you generally find is that teams have their 2 best U-21 players who sit on the bench each week, but rarely get brought on and as they're in the first team squad, are therefore also missing reserve games. So there's a strong argument that it holds back these players.

What has improved the standard is money, pure and simple. There's a huge disparity in tv money between the English and Scottish leagues, which means that even 2nd and 3rd division English teams can in some cases offer higher wages than most SPL sides. SPL teams (notably Hibs) have been forced to play a lot of youngsters in their 1st teams rather than bringing in expensive foreign players as they did in the 90's, which nearly bankrupted quite a few sides and has seen a lot of excellent young players come through who arguably would otherwise not have got a chance.

In terms of the question, no you can't change it.

If it's really a problem, change the PA's of some of the scottish youngsters in the editor to -9/-10. I did it by altering the columns in the editor so I couldn't see the names of the players, only the clubs they were contracted to. This way I feel it is less like cheating. It's basically ensuring good Scottish youth.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KnightedManager:

If it's really a problem, change the PA's of some of the scottish youngsters in the editor to -9/-10. I did it by altering the columns in the editor so I couldn't see the names of the players, only the clubs they were contracted to. This way I feel it is less like cheating. It's basically ensuring good Scottish youth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you explain this fully, please?icon_smile.gif

If the rule is the same as it was last time I got promoted to the SPL on FM05 then it shouldn't be a problem at all because all the other Scottish leagues allow five subs so you are basically getting two extra sub spots so even if they aren't the best players, it doesn't matter as you still get to have your five over 21 subs on top of that as you would in the lower leagues.

I'm a long way off the SPL at the moment! With Dumbarton I won the Third Division first season but after being in Second Division play-offs for much of the second season I fell apart at the end and finished sixth. Now it was looking like I was enduring Second Season Syndrome but after a poor start we are up to third and three off top but I'm waiting for it all to fall apart again!

Using the guidelines from this topic:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/717198912/m/2882082082

I simply removed the column that shows the names of players after I filter them. I usually set an age limit of 21, and the nationality to Scottish (obviously). Then I pick a random number of these Scottish youngsters to boost their PA. Either -9 or -10. This means, even though you don't know who they are, there is good Scottish youth. I think the younger generation of Scottish players have been given too poo PA's anyway.

I played Rangers for 2 seasons and you already have a couple of under21 players in the squad plus if you look thou the reserves you will find a good young striker with loads of pace who is under 21. It is no problem at all,just look at the assistants comments on all the players and you will find at least 5 that are good enough to be included and still win trophies. I won the treble in my first season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It would benefit the national team as it has done in Scotland significantly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How has this rule benifited the Scottish National team? More than half of the national team play their weekly football in England!

From reading articles in newspapers and listening to them on tv & radio most of the managers in scotland seem to dislike it and want it changed. One of the most outspoken managers in Scotland regarding this rule is in fact Gordon Strachan of Celtic.

Strachan wasn't complaining about it when he was top of the league IIRC so I'd take his comments with a pinch of salt.

As for the benefit it has on the national game you need only look at the number of youngsters that are getting 1st team exposure & thus being helped with their progression.

Clubs like Hibs & Motherwell have been churning out good quality players for a while now & without the rule I'd doubt Alan Hutton would have been given the chance to prove himself at Ibrox as he wasn't exactly convincing to start with & would simply have been replaced by some cheap 30 something foreigner.

trekman:

It's probably not actually half of the national team playing in England, but most of the ones that are there can partly thank this rule.

They can also thank the financial ruin of most Scottish clubs at around the same period. The clubs couldn't afford the big players anymore so they had to give youth a chance.

There are far more young Scots playing for the Old Firm now, and many of them came from the smaller teams.

Anyways, they should change the rule slightly so that if a player played for more than 40 games before he turned 21 at the club, he should count towards this rule. As this could kill the bringing through of youngster, it might be an idea to raise the amount of players needed to four or five.

It would stop cases like Charlie Adam where he was a regular on the subs bench and an occasional starter, but when he turned 22 he was out in the cold for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike7077:

Does this rule really exist in Scotland? I wasn't aware of it. When did it come into force? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure, but I think it came in around the same time as Berti.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shaggy61:

With 7 subs available soon, the EPL should make it compulsory to have 3 out of 18 in the match squad under 21 or homegrown or the like. It would benefit the national team as it has done in Scotland significantly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The situation is not as cut and dried as that last statement suggests - you would think so, but what you generally find is that teams have their 2 best U-21 players who sit on the bench each week, but rarely get brought on and as they're in the first team squad, are therefore also missing reserve games. So there's a strong argument that it holds back these players.

What has improved the standard is money, pure and simple. There's a huge disparity in tv money between the English and Scottish leagues, which means that even 2nd and 3rd division English teams can in some cases offer higher wages than most SPL sides. SPL teams (notably Hibs) have been forced to play a lot of youngsters in their 1st teams rather than bringing in expensive foreign players as they did in the 90's, which nearly bankrupted quite a few sides and has seen a lot of excellent young players come through who arguably would otherwise not have got a chance.

In terms of the question, no you can't change it.

Agreed.

Players like Scott Brown & Kevin Thomson have benifeted through the rule. And with regards to some SPL team's funds, St.Mirren manager Gus McPherson admitted teams in the Blue Square Premier had more money to offer than them. I mean thats unbelievable, I'm sure thats why most people disregard the SPL which, I can understand to be honest but as we are mid-way through this season I have noticed a vast improvement in all the SPL team's and players performances. (Eg Motherwell, Dundee Utd & Hibs)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skunner:

Quite frustrating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why do you only have three subs. There are 7 subs allowed in the SPL so you should have at least 5 to choose from!

Archived