Beta demo for the next version

Just downloaded the demo and a month into the game, i am yet to encounter any of the problems/bugs that are being commented on the forums..but i do have a suggestion for SI. Please do release a beta demo for the next version. Last season it was the closing down bug which almost made the game unplayable and now many are reporting a number of issues.

Releasing a beta demo will enlarge the testing pool by thousands and one of the advantages of doing this is that all of us will be aware that there could be bugs/data issues in the game and there will be a far less number of posts flaming SI (and it will stop the release of a patch on the day the game is released). What do other members say..should SI release a beta demo next time around?

They've released the demo and said they'll fix the known issues (mostly hardware related) for a release day patch.

The injuries one is contentious as it's only the people getting them shouting, but they've still said they'll look at it with a fix for release day if it is needed.

So you're actually already getting what you're asking for.

Call this a beta demo if it makes you feel better.

fantastic ide. When i Beta tested 2007 for SI I seemed to notice totally different bugs to other testers, so imagine if we all had the oppurtunity to Beta test, all bugs should be noticed and enable SI to correct all bugs before the demo and Final release just imagine a game with no patches required.

The problem with the old Beta release was the overwhelming amount of subjective, biased, or simply poor feedback I would think.

Injuries being a good example. Kriss has just made the point it's all contentious. It's also highly subjective. I've had none, but not felt the need to start a thread complaining. Perhaps I should? It would balance out the tirades and tantrums in other threads.

They've released the demo and said they'll fix the known issues (mostly hardware related) for a release day patch.

The injuries one is contentious as it's only the people getting them shouting, but they've still said they'll look at it with a fix for release day if it is needed.

So you're actually already getting what you're asking for.

Call this a beta demo if it makes you feel better.

The question here is not what i want to call it :) As i said earlier, i have not encountered any of the problems mentioned. I think its a great game and i am not here flaming SI as well :) The problem here is the necessary to release the patch so early for fixing issues that many encountered even before installing the game. I agree that most of them were hardware problems, but you cant expect all of the gamers to have a good pc.

Going by your comment, there is no need to do testing at all. Let the game go into gold as soon as possible, release the demo, and fix the issues with a patch on the shipping date (again i am not flaming SI)

The question here is not what i want to call it :) As i said earlier, i have not encountered any of the problems mentioned. I think its a great game and i am not here flaming SI as well :) The problem here is the necessary to release the patch so early for fixing issues that many encountered even before installing the game. I agree that most of them were hardware problems, but you cant expect all of the gamers to have a good pc.

Going by your comment, there is no need to do testing at all. Let the game go into gold as soon as possible, release the demo, and fix the issues with a patch on the shipping date (again i am not flaming SI)

As I've just said in another thread, the way such a game is developed and the need for security of the finished product mean the gold version isn't actually available for intensive testing.

They don't code lock in June and test till release, they code lock at the last possible moment (of necessity)

That means that Gold (the Beta) actually does get very little testing in it's finished state.

That is standard throughout the industry and I don't see it changing.

What isn't standard throughout the industry is SI's commitment to following up on any issues the beta does throw up.

We would all like a game that was code locked in June, tested till now and didn't have a single obvious issue, unfortunately such a game would have been on torrents and pirate sites since August.

fantastic ide. When i Beta tested 2007 for SI I seemed to notice totally different bugs to other testers, so imagine if we all had the oppurtunity to Beta test, all bugs should be noticed and enable SI to correct all bugs before the demo and Final release just imagine a game with no patches required.

the prospect is simply ORGASMIC!!

• 1 month later...

Archived