Tips on improving 3D performance

Check this page from SI for help regarding latest known issues: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55372

MAC Demo Technical Issues thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=54824

If your 3D does not work but your graphics card meets the minimum requirements...you need to make sure you have the latest drivers and DirectX 10 installed on your system.

Some tips I have used to improve my laptops 3D performance, I use a PC and im not sure if anything here applies to MAC users.

1. Defragment hard drives.

2. Clean your system, I recommend using CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=2.12.660&l=1033, use latest version, also check your registry using this tool but make sure to back click on 'Backup changes to the registry' when prompted, ideal this should be used at least once a day.

3. Don't run other programs such as antivirus, firewalls, other system tools, including programs as they need more memory, make sure you turn off your internet if your turning off your firewalls and virus protection.

4. Switch off the internet

5. I'm using Windows Vista and I have optimised my system for fast performance by getting rid of all visual effects, XP users may want to try something along those lines.

6. Remove unwanted programs you no longer use, games, programs such as limewire, bearshare etc.

7. On Internet Explorer click 'Tools' then 'Internet Options', delete browsing history to clear all cookies.

8. Use a lower resolution for your video card in your operating system and also in the game, i've never used a MAC before so I don't know if this is possible for MAC users, for PC users this definitely helps.

9. If your using Windows Vista go to Control Panel, click 'Performance Information and Tools', on th left side click 'Adjust power settings' and choose 'High performance'

Some tips I have used to improve my laptops 3D performance.

2. Clean your system, I recommend using CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=2.12.660&l=1033, use latest version, also check your registry using this tool but make sure to back click on 'Backup changes to the registry' when prompted, ideal this should be used at least once a day.

3. Don't run other programs such as antivirus, firewalls, other system tools, including programs as they need more memory, make sure you turn off your interent if your turning off your firewalls and virus protection.

5. I'm using Windows Vista and I have optimised my system for fast performance by getting rid of all visual effects, XP users may want to try something along those lines.

6. Remove unwanted programs you no longer use, games, programs such as limewire, bearshare etc.

7. On Internet Explorer click 'Tools' then 'Internet Options', delete browsing history to clear all cookies.

fantastic list, can I just add if you are using a laptop also change your power management performance settings if you have it plugged in, very easy in vista. will make a huge difference.

fantastic list, can I just add if you are using a laptop also change your power management performance settings if you have it plugged in, very easy in vista. will make a huge difference.

Yes thats also something I always use, thanks for that.

I'm sorry Navie but most of them are myths, the ones who actually affect the performance are:

3, 2, 1

You cannot argue with me about that, as most of them have been proved to be myths let alone that I know that for fact since ages.

Vista automatically switches the eye candy off once you're in a 3d program.

Switching the internet off won't affect anything.

Removing unwanted programs won't affect the speed of your Graphics card, and won't increase memory, and won't increase the speed of your CPU... 3 main things to make the 3D work like a treat.

Deleting cookies? LOL where did you get that from, how can a cookie, a simple file as small as a few kbs that works ONLY when you are browsing the net, affect your 3d match is beyond me.

Some tips I have used to improve my laptops 3D performance.

3. Don't run other programs such as antivirus, firewalls, other system tools, including programs as they need more memory, make sure you turn off your internet if your turning off your firewalls and virus protection.

8. Use a lower resolution for your video card.

9. If your using Windows Vista go to Control Panel, click 'Performance Information and Tools', on th left side click 'Adjust power settings' and choose 'High performance'

So basically go out and buy £2000 PC. Don't install nothing on it and just have FM running.

FM should not take up this much processing power to run. Especially if you have to take away small things like anti virus and surfing the net

I'm sorry Navie but most of them are myths, the ones who actually affect the performance are:

3, 2, 1

You cannot argue with me about that, as most of them have been proved to be myths let alone that I know that for fact since ages.

Removing unwanted programs won't affect the speed of your Graphics card, and won't increase memory, and won't increase the speed of your CPU... 3 main things to make the 3D work like a treat.

Deleting cookies? LOL where did you get that from, how can a cookie, a simple file as small as a few kbs that works ONLY when you are browsing the net, affect your 3d match is beyond me.

Well I switch off my internet as there may be spam used on my computer, yeah I should use a program to remove those, but I don't trust anything like that. And for the cookies...its removed clutter from your system like removing programs, system response is increased.

What kind of spec PC's do people have for this not to run well ??? My PC is running 4 year old hardware and it is perfectly smooth in 1440x900 resolution, no problems and works fine. From looking at some of the posts from people have problems (in other threads) their systems are hopelessly lacking and were never built with games in mind in the first place. These forums probably have the least technically knowledgeable people on the internet (not having a go!) which is why I guess there always seems to be a lot of 'technical issues' which in reality are just user issues. If people with decent spec machines ( ie - anything built with games in mind from the last 5-6 years!) are having issues then maybe there is a problem.

Switching off programs only makes 5% different if that. So unless your unwilling to wait for a few more frames per second then by all means do so.

No it doesn't...when I played a 3D match last night it was not as smooth as it is now, now its really suberbly flowing football and its very smooth, the goals even scored are much more enjoyable because the players don't jerk and stutter.

So basically go out and buy £2000 PC. Don't install nothing on it and just have FM running.

FM should not take up this much processing power to run. Especially if you have to take away small things like anti virus and surfing the net

It doesn't. I have a year old £600 machine I built myself and it runs it a dream... Even with the net running, AVG, etc.

That's just a way to sneak every extra bit of performance out of it.

3, 2, 1

9 is huge, especially with a laptop. Lower power modes tend to run the cpu and gpu at lower speeds than full power.

uninstalling old programs can be big, as they may still be loading up tasks when the pc starts. By removing them, you get rid of that extra overhead. Of course, a power user can just control what it is that starts when they turn on the pc...

Changing resolution can help if you are barely able to use the 3D. it's a fact that lower resolutions = higher FPS, as the GPU has less to draw.

The methods I have listed in the 1st post should all be attempted, overall it helps your PC even if some may not improve FM 2009 performance.

The ones that will improve FM2009 performance are numbers 2, 3, 5, 8 and 9 in what I have seen or experienced.

Number 1 will speed up your computer upon startup and load up FM 2009 and other applications faster in my opinion, also having less programs on your computer and clearing cookies and internet clutter also helps.

9 is huge, especially with a laptop. Lower power modes tend to run the cpu and gpu at lower speeds than full power.

uninstalling old programs can be big, as they may still be loading up tasks when the pc starts. By removing them, you get rid of that extra overhead. Of course, a power user can just control what it is that starts when they turn on the pc...

Changing resolution can help if you are barely able to use the 3D. it's a fact that lower resolutions = higher FPS, as the GPU has less to draw.

Yeah...some very excellent points there especially that last one about resolution, spot on!

Oh and they definetly work a treat :)

People try to help other people which i think is great but i really hate it when other people just disagree with what people are saying for the hell of it. What Navie has suggested is good and really does help. Some things suggested may work better than others but they all will contribute no matter how big or small otherwise why would Navie have suggested them. When someone says something to try and help people dont smash what they are saying into the ground.

Thanks Navie - helped a lot :)

I'm using safari instead of windows explorer , do you know if this would have any affect at all ???

Not really, although Safari inherently comes with all the backgournd processes from Apple, especially if you installed it with iTunes and Quicktime each of which is an utter resource hog.

Archived