I'm gonna have to upgrade for something I will not use?

Hi,

Sorry for opening a thread about this. But Im lost in all the threads about this. I have played the CM/FM series without problems for years. This year is different, FM 09 has a 3d Match Engine. Great news, but what if I dont like 3d, or at least, I dont wanna play in 3d (yet) cause I always enjoyed 2d? No problem says SI, you have the choice to run in either 3d or 2d.

Well that class, at least I wont have to spend alot of money on a new PC (I barely play PC games, FM and FML are the only ones) to play the only PC game I like.

Yesterday, the demo of FM 09 came out. I downloaded it via STEAM (very fast) and tried to luanch the game. Turns out, it's unable to launch to due some kinda graphical error. I posted my dxdig (sp?) and waited a few hours for a reply. I am still lost in what I have to do to run this game on my machine.

Please help me out, or at least tell me I cant play FM 09, so I can play FML untill 3d is implented there aswell. I just dont think I should spend so much money on a new machine or upgrading my old one to play the only PC game I play.

Cheers.

Ok, I'll offer some advice even though i hate it when people post the same problem in multiple threads.

Basically the graphics card in your pc was obsolete years ago. As well as having ancient tech it also has only 32meg of ram memory. As it stands your pc won't run the game. If it's a desktop you should be able to pick up a graphics card that will run it for £30-£50. If it's a laptop you're knackered. Buy a new one if you want to play FM09.

I already said sorry for opening this thread, I got lost in all the others, just needed some advice.

Its a desktop. So all I have to do is buy a supported Graphic Card and Im sorted?

Thanks very much mate.

Does your machine have a PCI-Express slot? If it does then a new gfx card will be fairly simple.

No you need and AGP, it is still current technology and there will be loads on Ebay. The more poweful the better of course.

Sorry to be a pedant, but AGP is not current tech. The latest cards aren't produced in AGP guise any more. That said, pick the right one and you'll have no problems with FM.

Can I get AGP in the shops aswell?

yes, but you'll have less choice.

AGP or PCI-E are just names given to different interfaces that join your motherboard and graphics card. As your motherboard has an AGP slot it needs a graphics card with an AGP interface to slot into it. There are very poor and very good AGP cards, greatly varying in price and performance.

Joe, post your dxdiag in here again for us to look at.

I also have an AGP card, so may be able to advise...

I currently have a Nvidia GeForce 6800GS, which does the job nicely, but am looking to upgrade to an ATI Radeon HD 3850, which is pretty much the best AGP there is (or will likely ever be, as it's a defunct technology).

So for you, I'd happily recommend those two cards. However, be careful - you will need to make sure you also have a power supply capable of powering said cards... Can you also check what rating your PSU is?

Oh, and whats this about AGP x2 x4 x8??

It's a measure of the transfer speed of the data between graphics card and motherboard. If the motherboard has a 2x speed and the card a 4x speed then it will only work at 2x. However I wouldn't worry about that at all. Way too nerdy for FM players. :)

Oh my word. Which century did you buy this beast in? I can draw better than that graphics card.

You need more RAM as well, 256MB is well below the minimum required I think. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can probably get it up to spec fairly cheaply.

Crucial can advise you on the RAM, but should probably cost under 50 euros. Likewise, a similar cost for a 'good enough' graphics card, particularly if you look second hand. That doesn't tell us about your PSU, but I'd anticipate that will likely also be, um, rubbish. :)

Check the ratings recommended on the graphics card, but I'd be amazed if they don't need 300 or 400W.

PSUs are also very cheap - but buy a recognised brand, don't skimp on it. PSU dies = end of PC.

So, that all established, you can either replace the parts yourself (very easy, if you know what you are doing...) or put it into a repair shop (will cost money and time).

Alright, cheers Nik. Ive just been told that 175w is what its using right now, not what it can handle.

I have to calculate the Watts that my Processor, Harddrive, Motherboard and PSU can deliver, so I might not need a new PSU.

I cant get a AGP anywhere near here, so I might have to order one.

Damn, what a mess this is, and I can feel the zits and glasses growing on my forehead, im turning into a nerd!!!!

Sure, AGP is a dead technology, it's been largely superceded by PCI-E. That means that AGP cards are harder to get hold of at retail, but online and in the second hand market there are still plenty to be had.

Better components (including putting in more RAM!) will require a bit more juice than 175W.

Nah, balls to that. Looking at what you've got, you need to find out what rating your PSU is. Then decide on a graphics card, and make sure your PSU meets the rating recommended for that graphics card. If it doesn't, buy a new one that does - if you go for a 400-450W one, I'd imagine you'll be fine.

Ok then... lol

Now I only need to know if my PC can handle it. Is it true I have to calculate howmany watt my motherboard, harddrive, PSU and processor can handle?

You really need to go to a PC shop, PC world or a local store and get advise. Also the game has the option of not using 3D

I guess, as a bare minimum, you could add 512 MB Ram (£20, could get 1GB for £25-£30), new graphics card (£27 for a GeForce 6200 AGP I found very quickly) and a PSU (£35 for a Coolermaster 460W, again, the first I looked at). You'd be running FM09 for, what, £70, plus delivery. I don't know about Dutch sites, obviously :D

The big cost will be installation, if you don't do it yourself - and then also not having the choice of components.

I guess, as a bare minimum, you could add 512 MB Ram (£20, could get 1GB for £25-£30), new graphics card (£27 for a GeForce 6200 AGP I found very quickly) and a PSU (£35 for a Coolermaster 460W, again, the first I looked at). You'd be running FM09 for, what, £70, plus delivery. I don't know about Dutch sites, obviously :D

The big cost will be installation, if you don't do it yourself - and then also not having the choice of components.

At that point grab a cheap motherboard and just have a new pc?:-p

Archived