[Linux] FM 2009 on Linux

So, the point of this thread is to centralize information about playing FM 2009 on Linux.

I'm trying out the demo and can't seem to get it to install. I'm stuck on a blank install screen with the following wine output:

fixme:imm:ImmGetOpenStatus (0x1a6998): semi-stub

fixme:imm:ImeHandleNotify WM_IME_NOTIFY:IMN_SETCOMPOSITIONWINDOW

fixme:d3d:WineD3D_ChoosePixelFormat Add OpenGL context recreation support to SetDepthStencilSurface

I was able to install the demo on OpenSuse 11.0 running wine-1.0-rc3

During my first installation attempt I had accidentally hit "I do NOT accept terms" button, and it had triggered some error. Any other attempts led to pretty much the same output as you have. Not being an expert, I had only manage to work it around by completely removing .wine folder in my home directory.

No I have the demo installed. I had also installed MS VC++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en

and d3dx9_36.dll from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?d3dx9_36

Not sure if the above steps are required. =)

Now I am stuck with some bad errors like

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x10073b7 (thread 001b), starting debugger...

Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit code (0x010073b7).

Not sure where to go from there.

Good luck to everyone !

UPDATE: Able to start the game after updating wine to 1.1.7 and installing NVidia drivers !

I was able to install the demo on OpenSuse 11.0 running wine-1.0-rc3

During my first installation attempt I had accidentally hit "I do NOT accept terms" button, and it had triggered some error. Any other attempts led to pretty much the same output as you have. Not being an expert, I had only manage to work it around by completely removing .wine folder in my home directory.

No I have the demo installed. I had also installed MS VC++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&DisplayLang=en

and d3dx9_36.dll from http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?d3dx9_36

Not sure if the above steps are required. =)

Now I am stuck with some bad errors like

Not sure where to go from there.

Good luck to everyone !

UPDATE: Able to start the game after updating wine to 1.1.7 and installing NVidia drivers !

What else did you have installed on wine? any Java version?

How does the game behave? 3D works?

I had not made any installations apart from described above.

Java version is

java version "1.6.0_07"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode)

Game works pretty fast (1 Gb RAM seems to be enough) but 3D does not work on Geforce 6100 (while I think I head it shall), so maybe that's the issue with Linux video drivers. To be honest, I would not want to see my Havant and Waterlooville side (English Conference South) in 3D =)

I had not made any installations apart from described above.

Java version is

Game works pretty fast (1 Gb RAM seems to be enough) but 3D does not work on Geforce 6100 (while I think I head it shall), so maybe that's the issue with Linux video drivers. To be honest, I would not want to see my Havant and Waterlooville side (English Conference South) in 3D =)

I've managed to make it work. It has a few issues, mainly during the game. It crashes a lot.

We're gathering info here: http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15893

The one that sucks the most is the ugly black bar in 2d (non classic) and 3D:

3002738872_b4310236c0.jpg

Which means I probably won't be buying the game...

Congratulations on being able to start the game, Miguel! Just curios, what your distributive and graphics card is?

On the subject of the black bar, I can only suggest checking known issues thread, it says

6. When I play a match, the pitch texture in 3D is black rather than green.

* This appears to be affecting some ATI graphics cards and could be related to settings in ATI Catalyst.

Potential workaround:

- Instructions for Windows XP (Vista should be similar)

- Right-click on your Desktop and from the pop-up menu select "Catalyst Control Center".

- Select 'Advanced Settings'.

- Navigate to 'Graphics Settings' -> '3D' -> 'More Settings'

- Ensure the check box for "Support for DXT texture formats" is ticked.

Maybe you shall check something about DXT textures ?

Archived