Honest Opinion From Someone Who Can't Play 3D

Just thought i'd share my opnion on FM09. Like many i was on here most of last night waiting for the demo to be released, really looking forward to seeing the 3D matches on my laptop. Luckily i had no problems downloading the demo and was really looking forward to the first match; however when i got to it i must admit i was immensely disappointed as i could not view it in 3D. Intially i was really annoyed as the whole excitement surrounding the game had been the inclusion of 3D and i naively presumed that my 2 year old laptop would be able to run it without any problems. Needless to say i went to bed at 3am pretty disappointed with the game, especially with certain data queries (I'm playing as Man Utd) regarding United's three young Brazilians in particular (i'm sure there are also others, having read some of the posts on here).

This morning i got up and started playing it, thinking that maybe after some sleep i would be able to make a clearer judgement on it after the inital disappointment. I have to admit it, and i'll whisper it quietly but i actually quite like FM09. Yes, that may surprise those who think that everyone who can't play in 3D are all bitter, and yes there are some data issues (something a patch can easily sort out) BUT i can't help liking it. It does seem more realistic in-match. For instance, i have just played Chelsea at home and there was no weird 5-3 result, but instead a gritty 1-0 victory. I have to say that i love the assistant feedback which updates throughout the match as well as the little subsitute button by your team name on the top left. The loan system is also greatly improved; something that really annoyed me in the past when you couldn't have an option to send players out on loan for first team experience. The inclusion of press conferences are also a welcome addition and add a new dimension to the game (not quite 3D though ;) ). One question i have though is the point of the journalist's name option when it is always going to be 'A Journalist'. Personally i think it is fine with just having the media source they work at.

All in all, having got over the initial disappointment, i would say that it is a pretty good effort and will become even stronger once a patch and data update is released (Sorry to mention the P word!). Well done SI, your hard work is appreciated!

Archived