After playing the demo, will you buy it?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not too impressed tbh. Very undecided as to weather i should buy it or not.

Before playing demo I was 100% certain but this really could be the worst FM ever.

You bet I'm going to buy it. It's still by far the best footie management game out there.. that is unless you like building stadiums and buying your wife presents.. ala the Sims... ooops. I mean Fifa Manger 09.

Everything OFF PITCH is brilliant for me, loved the Press conference and the breif history of club etc but the Match Engine is looking very worrrying for me.. Wide Players seem ineffective, especially in terms of defending, they are clueless (thats full backs and wingers) and it all seems just poor and unrealistic.. The players have far too much space and closing down is a problem (its been a bug in the demo and early game versions before) which is very annoying..

Unsure if i will buy it now, but If i get 3D to work and its good then i definatly will..

Everything OFF PITCH is brilliant for me, loved the Press conference and the breif history of club etc but the Match Engine is looking very worrrying for me.. Wide Players seem ineffective, especially in terms of defending, they are clueless (thats full backs and wingers) and it all seems just poor and unrealistic.. The players have far too much space and closing down is a problem (its been a bug in the demo and early game versions before) which is very annoying..

Unsure if i will buy it now, but If i get 3D to work and its good then i definatly will..

A lot of that might be tactics. I know the tactics I used in FM 2008 aren't worikng. So I expect it will take me a while to sort 2009 out. If I still see the same issues after a dozen hours or so I will start getting worried.

Completely agree, canceled my pre-order almost straight away.

It's basically FM08 with a few additional touches, no way is it a whole year of production, what have you done, sat around eating donuts?

The 3D is laggy and poorly executed too, what a waste.

Yup, definitely. Hasn't crashed once, runs smoothly, if anything better than '08. Slightly ****ed at some of the ratings but nothing I can't sort in the editor. Also the injury thing is annoying but that will be fixed in the near future I hope.

Overall very pleased. People need to stop crying over minor flaws like its the end of the world.

This has got to be the......BEST FM I HAVE EVER PLAYED!! I don't believe people are not interested in buying it. It's so good, I would buy more than one copy. I dunno why. I just would. Thank you so much Miles Jacobson and everyone else in SI for your huge effort in making THE BEST FM EVER!! I'm definitely getting this. I have had no problems. Not with press conferences or with 3d. Put it this way. I have Vista on 512mb ram and the 3d runs very smoothly and does not stutter. My game hasn't crashed once and I'm lovin every bit of it. November the 14th here i come/

play 2D - problem fixed..

Classic view pretty much fixed actually don't even need 2d - I just need to reduce the detail i can see :p I have noticed a few more of the bugs people have been talking about though... not absolute deal breakers but be nice to see an early patch that said, esp for injuries and maybe goalkeepers in 3d... in all the game i've played so far they've been stone walls when they make a save - rather than using their hands they seem to just be hit by the ball and the ball goes flying lol but again, 2d solves that :p

Do you work for SI or something?

:D I was thinking the same thing. And I agree about t being highly likely that most of the people that downloaded the demo this morning are the hardcore FM'ers. The fact that a LARGE proportion, if not the majority, are already binning it.

Fact is, they have precisely 13 days to fix all the things wrong with it.

Unlucky for some I say.

disappointing as i excpected. the 3d graphics look poor. the interface is basically the same. the features are basically the same. afais there are no real changes to the tactics system and training and match engine. what should i say. i marked the day red now i feel i wasted a night of my life.

3D view is dropping frames like crazy for me; it's so jerky it's essentially unwatchable. (2D is fine, but I really don't want to go back to 2D anymore.) Everything else seems fine, but the 3D was the biggest thing I was waiting for, so I guess I'll have to skip this iteration. :(

3D is pretty atrocious tbh. I wasn't expecting to like it, but I never dreamt it would be as awful as it is. 2D is still there thank god. All the other little features away from the ME are nice, but the entire game is so slow to respond to everything, which I'm praying will not be an issue in the full game. The problem is, I'm positive no-one from SI will comment on that and so when the 14th comes around, I/we are not going to have a clue whether these things have been fixed or will be fixed in a patch and so you're basically gambling with your money.

Some of the bugs in the game are laughable too, like the ddoouubbllee lleetttteerr pprroobblleemm. They say they do a lot of in house testing by a number of different people and then send it to Sega for a few days to be tested, and not one person noticed that!

I'm trying not to sound too bitter, but it just seems like disappointment after disappointment. Maybe I'll gamble on it in February/March next year when there's a chance it will be in a playable state, but I really don't think it will be worth the money come the 14th.

So, to answer the question, no.

I for one am not buying. For the following reasons.

Firstly 3d doesn't work on my laptop. But from what I have read thats no biggie as it sounds like a polished turd anyway.

Secondly the match engine is sh*t. I have never seen so many goals from balls just launched from my/there keepers hands. All the stupid bugs that were in the last version are still in this one, and the 2d representation just doesn't feel right.

Thirdly the new features other than the 3d pitch (which I can't get) are purely cosmetic.

Fourthly the DRM.

Fifthly the cost here in NZ. Its just not worth me forking out over a $100.

I have never been more disappointed to be fair. I was really looking forward to this years game. Back to FM08.

The fact is, the hardcore fans will be the one who stayed up to download/play the demo, and the reviews so far have been almost unanimously negative. i dread to think what casual players are going to think of the demo tomorrow, this could be SI's biggest marketing mistake ever

Most of the REAL hardcore fans will be too busy getting stuck into a 36-hour session to worry about posting on the forums. There's at least a couple of posters on here who seem to be posing as fans to cause trouble (trolling or EA - who knows?).

Well, let me see.........

I am a hardcore fan and I have played the series since CM1 on the Amiga and have ordered FM09 the day it was announced. I have never downloaded the demo as I dont want to be put off due to the pre-release bugs/crashes etc that are expected, but as I have a new computer setup, I really wanted to give my new computer a test.

Intel Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz running at 9.6Ghz (8mb cache)

4 Gig ram

1 gig Nvidea GForce 9600

And with a 20 meg BB connection, I cant wait to play this online either!

Oh and sorry for bragging, but I just had to lol

Not too impressed tbh. Very undecided as to weather i should buy it or not.

Before playing demo I was 100% certain but this really could be the worst FM ever.

Probably, but the match engine and the animations need a great deal of work before they represent anything like a realistic simulation of a match. Slightly disappointed at this moment in time, can only hope they are on the case with a patch to be released soon after the game goes on sale.

I've bought every CM/FM since CM00/01 and it's depressing to say this, but I won't be buying this one. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't feel like it's all there. The UI feels laggy and clunky, it's not at all faster than it's predecessors as claimed to be (processing feels slower than FM08) and the 3D match engine feels like a bit of a mess.

I definitely wasn't expecting anything like FIFA or Pro Evo, I knew it would be more Ultimate Soccer Manager 98, but there are times when it just doesn't live up to the standards hyped up by SI - my right footed players keep striking with their left foot for some reason, the ball reacts in an almost cartoon-like manner, sometimes the ball isn't anywhere near the player's feet when he's in control of it, and goalkeepers don't seem to want to get to ground much or make a real effort. It's also very stuttery, and this is on a laptop with 2GB and a 256MB nVidia graphics card - a setup which can play Oblivion and other heavy duty games comfortably with all the graphical options turned up).

It feels like, yet again, they've ripped a hole out of it and are slowly trying to fill it back in, but to do that successfully, we've got to give them bug reports on things that stick out a mile and never should have slipped through the net in the first place. It just feels rushed.

When I first played the FM08 demo last year, it felt like "Wow", even with the closing-down bug, I was immediately absorbed by it. I'm feeling the complete opposite with FM09.

The plus points are the press conferences and the traffic light system for player positions. And that's it, really - what's the point in buying a new game when there's (as far as I can see) only 2 new stand-out features to it.

If I ever do get this game, it won't be until there's at least one patch (I've purchased every CM/FM I own on release date until now) because I'm not spending £25 for a game that's in this state.

Sorry. :(

Edit: Just to explain further regarding processing speed, the quickstarts provided are from 1 nation (if I'm correct) and the quickstart I chose (England) is processing slower than my 10 nation (with all divisions) FM08 savegame I've got going at the moment. Considering this and everything else I've mentioned, and that it's the gold code which means this is what the full game will be like, I won't be buying it.

I said 3D looked **** in the videos. Its is **** in the demo.

Press conferences are good but you have to answer like 5 questions before you can end it which may get tedious.

DEAN WINDASS IS THE SHIZZ (stats wise)

Man City are easy lool.

Injuries are annoying.

Ill get the game at Christmas when the bugs are fixed but im not impressed.

Archived