Crazy ending

In the Scottish Cup final, the last match of the season, Hibernians were playing me quite tough. The game goes to extra time tied 1-1. At the 115th minute, I bring in a sub to help out with what I thought were the inevitable penalties. But, it wasn't too be. In stoppage time of extra time, my team tries a desperation long ball. My striker runs under and gets to the ball in the box at the exact time as Hibs keeper. Now these are just blips so I can't really see what happens. My striker didn't score, but the Hibs keeper got sent off with a straight red card. They had already used all of their subs so they couldn't bring in the backup keeper. The guy I had substituted in for penalties makes the PK easily against one of their outfield players. To add to Hibs misery, the ref let them kick off before immediately blowing the final whistle. I guess the game ended on a penalty as I expected, so there is that. But, I felt genuinely bad about it. First time I ever responded to the controversy by saying that another team could feel harshly done by.

if the keeper has brought him down in a clear goal scoring opportunity then he deserved the red card and penalty. I never feel sorry for the opposition, I like to say they are just bitter when I get the option!

That's what I normally say about controversies too. But to have one happen at that time in a cup final just seemed rather harsh. I have no idea if the red card was deserved. Can't really tell what the blips are doing to each other.

Archived