3D View: Who's going to use it and who isn't.

3D View: will you use it?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. 3D View: will you use it?

• No: Never wanted to use 3D
    • No: wanted to use 3D but dont have the graphics card for it
    • No: Have tried 3D but will stick with 2D
    • Both: Will sometimes use 3D but sometimes use 2D as well
    • Yes: Have tried 3D and although didnt like it at first will stick it out
    • Yes: Have tried 3D and loved it, and will always use it from now on

So ive played a bit with the 3D and a bit without and have mixed thoughts. Due to my laptop not being able to run the 3D i will probably be sticking with the 2D version. (edit: and based on the gameplay of the 3D, i am quite happy to do so)

How impressed are you with the 3D? Is it better than you thought? Do u wish it was better? or do you prefer the more tactically accurate 2D view?

edit (sun early am): early indications show that that 16 people will not be using 3D at all, 7 will do both and 13 will deff use it. a little suprising that FM's main selling point isnt going down a storm yet. the highest voted score (9) is people who have tried it but dont like it. worrying for SI?

edit: (sun lunch time): so after a few more people have played the game: 54 people wont use it, 21 will use both and 36 will use it (57 will use it in total). it really is spilt down the middle of using it or not using it, for whatever reason, with the highest vote for tried it but dont like it. how can SI have spent most of their efforts on a feature that is only just in the majority going to be used?

edit: (sun 4pm): so finally i love 3D is in the lead. 124 people will use the 3D and 105 people wont. thats pretty much been the pattern in the voting all the way. its very even between the people who love 3D and the people who dont and wont use it. as a conclusion i think SI have made a big first step towards a good 3D view but it hasnt convinced everyone yet. there are those that dont like the idea, a fair few who cant get it to work and lots who tried it but dont like it. there are also those that like it and will use it sometimes, those who are willing to give it time, and those that love it already. we shall see how popular the game becomes after the release and if the general public (ie not us lot in here lol) will enjoy it or have their expectations too high or their specs too low... :D

Waiting for it to download.

Will almost certainly use it ALL the time. :thup:

(wanted it, got it)

if i was you id wait till you've tried it. this is a poll for people who have TRIED the 3D view, you never know, you may not like it... ;)

Personally I think the 3D view is great. I'm not fussed about any of the other stuff like stadiums and crowds and such, I just like the fact that I don't have to use my imagination every time there's a goal, FM now does it for you!

Having said that, it's not an "all the time" thing. I still like to use the 2D view, cos it seems more natural to me. Use both I say.

Yes: Have tried 3D and although didnt like it at first will stick it out

Didn't like the 2D either when I switched from CM 01/02 to FM 08 but it grew on me. I'm pretty sure that this will grow on me as well even if I don't like it at the moment.

Tried 3d. Laughably poor. Players who stand in place for 5 seconds, the magically whack it 80 yards upfield whilst standing on the spot (especially keepers), instead of knocking the ball up then booting it realistically, players who just stand around doing nothing. The way the kicking looks like something from New Star Soccer 3, toepoke goal kicks, corners, freekicks and penaltys (I enjoyed watching a keeper simply stand in the centre of the goal and watch a penalty go past).

Should not have bothered.

The only problem would have been then, that there is no real change from 08, just a few more semi-pointless options. But hey, who cares about fixing the game, when we can tack on a 4th rate 3d engine.

Jerky, can barely see what's going on. Having read some good feedback, though, I suspect my 2GB ram and dual 2 core processor isn't powerful enough. Min specs is either a big lie to boost sales or not tested properly. Or my laptop is broken. (not running anything else in background and the rest of the game is as smooth as ever). So I'm back to 2D until I get a quad. Probably around FM11...

Not that I'm too bothered. I was in the camp that said "3D? Shrug. Bit pointless - FM isn't about graphics after all." I'll still buy the game.

The 3D is really bad so I wont be using it at all, the biggest problem with it now though is that you can see all the foibles that you saw in 2D in even more detail, so when your guy would stand still in 2D you could think he was searching for space but you watch in 3D and your player is just standing there aimlessly. It really brings out the poor AI. I think in 5 years the game could be decent in 3D but its a long way from competent, let alone watchable.

To be honest I really like the 3D. The best camera view is the Elevated view and I think it works really well. I'm pretty impressed with most of the new features as well there's just 2 or 3 things that need patching up then it'll be a great game.

those who arent using the 3D or cant get it working do you think SI have wasted their time on adding it to the game? still only about half the people voting are going to be using the 3D view so is it really worth it?

How the 3D runs is greatly affected by the graphics handling of your PC, I have very high performance graphics for other purposes and that's a bonus now because the 3D is actually very good on my desk top.

Remember too that this is day one in the life of FM 3D, you can expect some pretty spectacular improvement as time goes on.

But, just as your analogue TV will soon be junk, so will your below spec PC, it's called technological progress and sadly it comes at a price.

Hate to criticise SI's fantastic work but the 3D is pretty strange and unfortuantly is very similar to what I remember football games on the gameboy to be like.

It's just about watchable but aside from the obvious jumpy issues, even when it is working fine the actual gameplay isn't particularly smooth and player's kicking and general animations of the ball is mostly very strange. Also of course the fact that the goal flashes before it goes in or hearing the ball hitting the post before it actually gets to the post are both annoying. I do like the little celebrations that the players do though, quite funny actually.

Archived