UEFA Coaching licenses.

Come up with this idea whilst watching Football Focus and hearing that Martin Keown had his UEFA license, but has yet to go into some sort of coaching role.

So what about, as a player gets older within the game, you could recieve a notification along these lines, I'll use Wayne Rooney as an example:-

"Wayne Rooney has expressed his desire to continue coaching within the game once he hangs up his boots, so much so he has begun taking his UEFA Coaching License at the FA's coaching school." and as he goes along you are notified as to what licenses he gains, and so this could even open up the possibility of having a situation as what happened with Gareth Southgate where a manager could get a job without the correct licenses.

Also, think it may be a good idea if some retired players are retained within the game and not necessarily gain jobs right away. Look at Diego Maradona, hasn't played for years and as only just gone into management, same can be said of Kevin Keegan, he went into management some 8 years after retirement from playing, and Tony Adams didn't go straight into management either.

Anyway just an idea.

Thoughts?

The license could be called the xFA License, the the European A License and so on. Thing is, some people may already have a license at a young age, as (alright I need to look into it further) I might be able to finish sixthform at my school with an FA level 1 badge.

You used to get notified that a player had passed their coaching badges, but I never noticed that had stopped. It came up in your nes saying "Player X has informed you that he recently passed..." Just a signal to offer them a player coach contract really.

Diego Maradona hasn't only just gone into management, he's been a boss before at Corrientes and Racing Club in 1994 and 1995. It was also only a year between Tony Adams retiring from playing and taking his first job as a manager at Wycombe.

This definitely WAS in previous versions of the game. I don't recall seeing it in FM08, though, which is strange.

And hufton took the words out of my mouth! Maradona did coach a couple of clubs pretty fast following retirement. I think one was Boca. He just didn't last very long at either place (2 and 4 months, I believe). Thus, he was deemed rubbish/a liability, and had to wait for another chance. Same goes with Tony Adams... he did manage Wycombe fairly soon after retiring from playing, but he was awful. Resigned after a year, then decided to get some real coaching experience abroad and then as Portsmouth's assistant manager.

In summary:

1) Already was in the game, so if it's been removed there must have been a reason.

2) Is fairly realistic the way it is now. Keegan aside, most players don't stay out of the game for ages and then suddenly become managers. They either try and fail, or become coaches somewhere and work their way up. I suppose Shearer could possibly buck this trend, but the only way to mirror that would be to have the players go into media work with the possibility of coaching in the future. That said, most promise to go into management but like their cushy media job too much to give it up (e.g., Andy Gray, Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen).

good idea, it could easily get round liscence rights they have with uefa cup on the game, eg: euro cup

and in response to wandsfan93, im 19 and have my level 1 and level 2 football coaching badges and im doin my uefa b liscence in 2009 so you can get qualified young !! =)

This definitely WAS in previous versions of the game. I don't recall seeing it in FM08, though, which is strange.

And hufton took the words out of my mouth! Maradona did coach a couple of clubs pretty fast following retirement. I think one was Boca. He just didn't last very long at either place (2 and 4 months, I believe). Thus, he was deemed rubbish/a liability, and had to wait for another chance. Same goes with Tony Adams... he did manage Wycombe fairly soon after retiring from playing, but he was awful. Resigned after a year, then decided to get some real coaching experience abroad and then as Portsmouth's assistant manager.

In summary:

1) Already was in the game, so if it's been removed there must have been a reason.

2) Is fairly realistic the way it is now. Keegan aside, most players don't stay out of the game for ages and then suddenly become managers. They either try and fail, or become coaches somewhere and work their way up. I suppose Shearer could possibly buck this trend, but the only way to mirror that would be to have the players go into media work with the possibility of coaching in the future. That said, most promise to go into management but like their cushy media job too much to give it up (e.g., Andy Gray, Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen).

the only context I can remember coaching badges being mentioned on recent versions (bear in mind I got fed up with 08 pretty quickly though) is when a player would gain 'non-player' stats while still registered as a member of your playing staff, you'd get a news message telling you "x player informs you he has completed his basic coaching badges" or words to that effect. Otherwise all you get is, roughly when a player turns 30, a new line in their 'personal' talking about whether they fancy trying their hand at management/coaching/scouting/just want to retire.

good idea, it could easily get round liscence rights they have with uefa cup on the game, eg: euro cup

and in response to wandsfan93, im 19 and have my level 1 and level 2 football coaching badges and im doin my uefa b liscence in 2009 so you can get qualified young !! =)

Let me know how you get on trying to coach players older than yourself, when they also realize you've never played professionally. Not that I know that you haven't, but by your age I'd assume that to be true.

My bet is they won't listen, no matter how good you are. :(

Paul B, you're assuming he'll go straight into senior management. What I might do, considering I gt my badges, is start off in youth coaching where I think I might be quite good (I've already tought some kids that go to my local park some helpful skills) and then, once I've developed some experience and have proven myself, I'll try and move into senior management.

Paul B, you're assuming he'll go straight into senior management. What I might do, considering I gt my badges, is start off in youth coaching where I think I might be quite good (I've already tought some kids that go to my local park some helpful skills) and then, once I've developed some experience and have proven myself, I'll try and move into senior management.

That is completely correct. Youth coaching is the only option if you want the necessary respect. (I've done it all myself, that's why I brought it up!)

I assumed he wanted to go into senior coaching (not necessarily management) because he's taking his UEFA B. That's not necessary for youth coaching. In my opinion, a person in his position would be better off trying to coach youth teams right now and getting his UEFA A/B when he's old enough to have senior players respect him. I guarantee that senior pros will not listen to a teenage/early-mid-twenties coach who has never played professionally, so it just sounds like a waste of valuable time and resources.

That said, I'm sounding like a cynic and a grouch... and I'm not really like that. You should definitely follow your dreams!

Archived