Football manager 2009 demo

• SI Staff

THE DEMO IS NOW LIVE

The Vanilla demo, which is approx 175MB, will be available for PC or Mac, and available exclusively from the News of the Worlds website, with the files hosted by the nice people at Gameshadow.

It will feature UK English only, language wise, and English and Scottish quickstarts, with no "assets" (such as player pictures, logos, stadiums and pitch textures). You can play for half a season, and continue your saved game when the full game is out.

You can get the vanilla version of the demo (PC or Mac) from www.newsoftheworld.co.uk

The Strawberry demo, which is approx 1GB, will also be available for PC or Mac, and will be available 3 ways via STEAM (our recommended route - but PC only), a torrent file, and a direct download (hosted by the nice people at Gameshadow).

To download the STEAM client, for free, go to www.steampowered.com, where you can read all about STEAM.

Language wise it has - English, Danish, Dutch, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish.

Leagues playable (via quickstarts) - England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina & Indonesia. So 12, rather than the previously announced 10.

The strawberry version of the demo is available from

STEAM (PC Only) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/10570/

Torrent (PC) - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/torrents/fm2009_gold_demo-pc.exe.torrent?D30C836D20282E61500B0D69514669B7DFDA9BF4

Torrent (Mac) - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/torrents/fm2009_gold_demo-mac.zip.torrent?A7C6364918933D101B05687A49B68A304DD26BEA

Download (PC) -

http://www.gameshadowbeta.com/fm2009/strawberry/index.asp

Download (Mac) -

http://www.gameshadowbeta.com/fm2009/strawberry/index.asp

A demo for WWSM will follow next week.

There will also be other versions of the demo available in the coming weeks/months, and I will update this thread as I am allowed to announce them with more info.

The first of these is in Australia, 442 magazine will be covermounting a special exclusive A-League demo of the game, although I do not have a date for the issue of the magazines release as yet (I expect it will be after the release of the game, unfortunately, due to the time it takes to print the discs).

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Language wise it has - English, Danish, Dutch, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish.

Leagues playable (via quickstarts) - England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina & Indonesia. So 12, rather than the previously announced 10.

There will also be other demos available in the coming weeks/months, and I will update this thread as I am allowed to announce them with more info.

Will there be a Netherlands quick start a few days after the initial release of the demo, is there one planned?

• SI Staff

That is cruel Paul. And it's true for only one of the ways of releasing it.

The reason for the midnight start is that that is the time that the News of the World is available, so the time that that version can become available.

We also have a lot of work to do to ensure that it's all working properly, and that the download speeds are OK. With the popularity of our demo's, and how badly we've been hit in the past with the interweb not being able to handle the traffic, we're trying to be regimented with the way we release to try and make is easy for you to be able to get the demo when it is live.

• SI Staff
Why is Steam the recommended way of getting the game. I don't really know much about Steam, am just a little wary of having to install more software to be able to download the game. What are the advantages of this?

1. Superfast bandwidth from a trusted developer, and a trusted platform.

2. One of the ways to authenticate the full game will be via STEAM

3. Automatic patching of the full game is you are authenticated via STEAM and using their client.

• SI Staff
are we able to add our own mirrors?

Not initially Jonnie, no - if we decide we need mirrors, we will post asking for them, but we are hopeful that there will be no need. Mirror links will be deleted unless requested by us, and approved by us via email (and the email address will only be given out if we request them).

That is cruel Paul. And it's true for only one of the ways of releasing it.

The reason for the midnight start is that that is the time that the News of the World is available, so the time that that version can become available.

We also have a lot of work to do to ensure that it's all working properly, and that the download speeds are OK. With the popularity of our demo's, and how badly we've been hit in the past with the interweb not being able to handle the traffic, we're trying to be regimented with the way we release to try and make is easy for you to be able to get the demo when it is live.

I don't mind the wait but it would have been nice to have it today. It's only 12 hours! :thup:

No one should be scared of steam.

I've used it for years and it has never been any problem. As Miles said, it is very, very quick and can handle lots of activity.

It's harmless and can be used offline as well as on so don't be worried about it.

I know this is a unlikely but can this steam (which granted I know nothing about) download things when the computer is off? So it will automatically download the demo at 12 ready for when I turn it on? Or is that wishful thinking? :D

Steam can't do that as far as I know :p

Idea for next year, or today if possible.

I know with a lot of direct to drive schemes like steam, it's possible to pre-download the bulk of the game, with a few small key files held back until release. If the demo's good to go right now, why not let us download 99% of it from steam now? Leave us a little to grab at midnight, and it'll be smoother...

Second idea: Email me asking my phone number. Call me up and arrange to meet me at the Angel later today. Hand my a copy of FM09 in a brown paper bag as an early birthday present. I may be able to arrange sex with my other half as payment, but I've not raised the issue with her yet.

I know this is a unlikely but can this steam (which granted I know nothing about) download things when the computer is off? So it will automatically download the demo at 12 ready for when I turn it on? Or is that wishful thinking? :D

The problem isnt that Steam cant download it.. its more that your harddrive has no power and therefore cannot write anything to disk :p

Is the only differnece with Vanilla and strawberry the leagues does strawberry last longer than half a season ?? ..

The differences are:

Leagues available.

Player pictures

Kit pictures.

Club badges.

Other graphical "extras".

The game itself will be the same, with 3d engine, game running until around Jan 1st, etc.

I am so wanting to report you for teasing! haha.

With that I'd better take the girfriend out to the new shopping centre here in London (Westfield - the biggest in Europe) before I get in trouble (either here or at home - I just can't win) :D

*removes the finger (mouse cursor) from the 'go, go, go' button :p

Idea for next year, or today if possible.

I know with a lot of direct to drive schemes like steam, it's possible to pre-download the bulk of the game, with a few small key files held back until release. If the demo's good to go right now, why not let us download 99% of it from steam now? Leave us a little to grab at midnight, and it'll be smoother...

Second idea: Email me asking my phone number. Call me up and arrange to meet me at the Angel later today. Hand my a copy of FM09 in a brown paper bag as an early birthday present. I may be able to arrange sex with my other half as payment, but I've not raised the issue with her yet.

/joke-mode on

problem is, they have seen your other half, so thats a no go :p

/joke-mode off

agree with your first point..

With that I'd better take the girfriend out to the new shopping centre here in London (Westfield - the biggest in Europe) before I get in trouble (either here or at home - I just can't win) :D

Pfft. Give her your card and pin code and tell her to go have fun without you!

/joke-mode on

problem is, they have seen your other half, so thats a no go :p

/joke-mode off

agree with your first point..

Oh come on, if she was that much of a looker I would have angled for life time access to FMLive too!

Can´t wait....hope steam can handle the pressure of thousand (perhaps millions) of eager fans. Tonight i will not sleep!!!

Well it can handle the pressure from all the Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike fans online every day so I think it'll manage ;)

*removes the finger (mouse cursor) from the 'go, go, go' button :p

I hope she bleeds you dry. It's no less than you deserve! ;)

And no going to the pub and forgetting the time. We need you back for our 12am kick off :)

Archived