need to up my ram (memory)

Any ideas guys thew quickest and cheapest way to double the ram on my pc from 512 to the required 1024(?) need doing today as on windows vista and just realised i am in desperate need with under 14 hours to go before demo comes out?

many thanks

andy

If you need to ask us (and I don't mean that to sound as rude as it might do), your best bet is to get the yellow pages out and look for your nearest computer shop/repair place and ask them to upgrade it for you.

Don't bother going from 512mb to 1gb, go to at least 2gb, it won't be that much more and it'll make a fair bit of difference to your gaming.

If you need to ask us (and I don't mean that to sound as rude as it might do), your best bet is to get the yellow pages out and look for your nearest computer shop/repair place and ask them to upgrade it for you.

Don't bother going from 512mb to 1gb, go to at least 2gb, it won't be that much more and it'll make a fair bit of difference to your gaming.

What he said basically. Call around a few shops and get a quote, the shop will normally install it for you and only takes a few minutes.

Wouldn't really advise going to PC World unless there is no other alternative.

Any ideas guys thew quickest and cheapest way to double the ram on my pc from 512 to the required 1024(?) need doing today as on windows vista and just realised i am in desperate need with under 14 hours to go before demo comes out?

many thanks

andy

Your running windows vista on 512meg ...jesus it must be slow. You need at least 2gig of mem for vista http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC. Or if you have the money m8 i would throw your 512 stick and go for 4gig of mem http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-086-OC. Would be worth the wait on ordering from Overclockers and its not hard to install, just make sure you get the right type of memory for you mobo.

quick question' date=' how important is ram, iv got 4 blocks of ram totalying 1MB, was thinking of having 4 slots of 1 to give 4MB total. is this mcch needed or be a waste of money?[/quote']

4mb of ram? :D I think you mean 4gb? Depends on your os. If you're running on 32 bit XP it's unlikely to read more than 3gb or 3.5gb at a push.

quick question' date=' how important is ram, iv got 4 blocks of ram totalying 1MB, was thinking of having 4 slots of 1 to give 4MB total. is this mcch needed or be a waste of money?[/quote']

If your running a 32 bit of windows, especially XP don't go above 3GB of RAM, not safe/computer won't recognise it, range of things can happen. I run a 32 bit version of XP and recently upgraded from 1GB to 3GB of RAM for the coming release of FM :D 1MB (obviously you ment 1GB) could be improved, imo should definately be improved if you run Vista, if you run XP, i'd still consider it :p Get it up to 2GB at least, but may work out cheaper if you got 2 x 1GB sticks to make 3GB like i did. Up to you really and the OS you use. crucial.com/UK can help you out and tell you what the maximum limit to each of the RAM slots is (mine is max 1GB per slot) and it will also give you some suggestions.

thanks for that mate. yeh i ment 1GB lol the other wont get me far :)..

I am running xp with 32 bit' date=' i got my pc from dell its a dimension 8300, they did say that the maximum my mother board could handle was 4GM RAM..[/quote']

No worries mate. Yeh I'm running the 32-bit XP too, i got a Dell Inspirion 530. Goes alrite. :p

Have a good one mate.

I second the vote for www.crucial.com - they're very good.

What's more, you can download their system scanner from http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx and it'll tell you what RAM you've currently got, and what the maximum is you can put in your machine - and then they'll suggest products that are suitable for your PC. It saves you having to check what types of RAM are compatible with your system, which can sometimes be a bit tricky.

thanks for that mate. yeh i ment 1GB lol the other wont get me far :)..

I am running xp with 32 bit' date=' i got my pc from dell its a dimension 8300, they did say that the maximum my mother board could handle was 4GM RAM..[/quote']

Not good to run XP 32-bit with more than 3GB when gaming or doing other memory-intensive things, can cause random instability and crashes.

cheers for all your help guys paid 35 quid for the ram and to be fitted.... 9am tomorrow morning.... going to miss 9 hours of gameplay!!!!!!!

You should have fitted it yourself. It would have took no more than about 10 minutes. Theres plenty of online diagrams to explain how if your not sure about how to do this.

You should have fitted it yourself. It would have took no more than about 10 minutes. Theres plenty of online diagrams to explain how if your not sure about how to do this.

Agree with this completely - I am useless with computers but bought RAM myself and installed it with a little help from google search - loads of diagrams etc... and it too me udner 5 mins. Doesnt matter as at least its done now and you should notice a massive difference when it comes to things like gaming, i certainly did

Another 3 gigs.

As I keep on saying, 3GB should be the maximum you go for in total if you have XP 32-bit. Any more than 2GB total would in any case be a complete waste of time and money with a computer like TiltonArmy's. Processor speed will in my opinion generally prove the biggest problem with that specific setup.

Just because 4GB will fit into a computer doesn't mean that it is good for that specific computer and setup.

I don't know how many slots TiltonArmy has, but buying another 3 sticks of 512 would be my recommendation for him if there are 4.

hmmmmmm

I kept getting problems with my comp when i was playing games. Error reports, you know the usual from a microsoft comp :) :) I took out my existing RAM which was 512MB (x2) and installed 2GB (x2) so 4GB in total. The make of the RAM was PNY or something like that. I got them for £17.99 each from play.com. It stopped any errors i was getting and ive had very few since.

I would highly reconmend putting more RAM in your comp makes it run nice and smooth with none of them dodgy errors :) or very few anyway.

Archived