*FM2009* Footage. Potential problem? SI answer please.

Just seen the clips, and I can say it looks nice.

One problem, or potential problem though, is the flashing text before the balls crossed the line in 3D. Is this how it is in the game, or is it just these videos?

Quite annoying when you know you are going to score before you actually do.

Can SI release any information about this?

Thanks

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But surely, if this is now the case, it's just cosmetic? If it's going to be a goal anyway why would less then a half a second ruin it? It's not like RL commentators have pre-maturely screamed goal before one actually goes in ;)

Thats not an acceptable excuse.

But surely, if this is now the case, it's just cosmetic? If it's going to be a goal anyway why would less then a half a second ruin it? It's not like RL commentators have pre-maturely screamed goal before one actually goes in ;)

Because it ruins the drama of the game, when the balls flying towards goal and the keepers diving you wont get that anticipation of whether the keeper is gonna save it or not. Its probably only about 0.5 of a second but the human eye and brain computes it alot quicker than that, it was the first thing i noticed watching the video's, stands out a mile

It would be frustrating though mightberight. Imagine in the last minute your player has a shot but you know it is in before it has crossed the line. Id just shut my eyes as it is going towards the goal and open a second later to see if it has gone in... I probably won't but it will be a tad frustrating!

• SI Staff

I think its best if people try playing the demo and we can see how much of a problem it is then.......I certainly watched all these videos and not once did this issue jump out at me.

IMO this has the potential to be a very serious error.

As a previous poster rightly pointed out, what is the point of watching a game if when a striker shoots, you already know the outcome before the ball hits the back of the net. It would totally ruin those spectacular last second fingertip saves or desperate goal line clearances.

This needs to be addressed if indeed it has made it into the final build.

I know it's not a gamebreaker but it would ruin much of the tension and anxiety that SI have worked so hard to create with this excellent 3D engine.

Hopefully it's already been sorted or can be patched if not.

"People" also tested FM 2008 and didn't do anything about close down issue...

Without being involved in testing you can't say if testers noticed it or not. Some bugs appear at the last minute.

As for this one, no one can say if it happens every time, or will happen to them.

Testers do find a lot of issues, but they can't always be fixed. It's the important ones that get fixed, but as I said they can appear in the game at the last minute, when the game has gone gold. A lot of issues are fixed which no one playing the game ever finds out about, I don't think people that blame the testers realise this.

I think its best if people try playing the demo and we can see how much of a problem it is then.......I certainly watched all these videos and not once did this issue jump out at me.

I can't see how you can say it didn't jump out at you. It couldn't have been more obvious. It really is such a small thing but so annoying already, and I haven't even played it yet!

I definately noticed it right away in the video's, but each time it was already clear that it was going to be a goal for a longer time than the instant in between the flashing and the ball crossing the line.

Should be fixed, and it doesn't look like something that would take too much effort to fix, but this is hardly a game-breaking bug. At most it's somewhat annoying.

Sorry Paul but it jumped out at me everytime I watched any of the released footage. The first time I thought maybe it flashed something else but watching it over and over it is even more obvious the GOAL flash happens as the ball hits the 6 yard line if not before.

I know this isnt a massive issue and probably might even be down to machine spec etc. I certainly look forward to the actual game to see if it is an issue or not cause knowing your guy scores before he has is slightly off putting.

IMO this has the potential to be a very serious error.

As a previous poster rightly pointed out, what is the point of watching a game if when a striker shoots, you already know the outcome before the ball hits the back of the net. It would totally ruin those spectacular last second fingertip saves or desperate goal line clearances.

This needs to be addressed if indeed it has made it into the final build.

I know it's not a gamebreaker but it would ruin much of the tension and anxiety that SI have worked so hard to create with this excellent 3D engine.

Hopefully it's already been sorted or can be patched if not.

So when you watch a match on telly, or live you don't know that it's going to be a goal until the second the ball crosses the line. And what on Earth does IMO mean? Is it a new variation on the word emo. Possibly someone who enjoys emotionally hardcore music who is also an inuit?

Wasn't that footage a very early version of the 3D graphics?

On a minor aside, I hope this thread (and a couple of others like it) isn't a signal that people are just itching to find fault with FM09. Can't we just wait for the demo before jumping on SI?

And if there are faults, how about a sane, calm response instead of the awful, ridiculous over-reaction to every minor issue with 08? State the problem, post a file on the server, sit back, wait for the patch.

If the commentary flashes after the ball goes past the keeper and is destined for the net then I don't really mind as that happens in real life.

For anyone who lives in Birmingham: Tom Ross yells goal before the striker shoots, after it goes into the net and carries on as the opposition take there freekick from offside.

What i am saying is that I could live with this problem but would like it fixed if it is a bug, cheers

In my opinion.

Oh right. That's terrible. It's the typing equivalent of 'erm...', or 'at the end of the day...'. Why do people bother to type that. I thought his post was his honest opinion on the matter, without him having to try tell me that in an abbreviation. I didn't think that he was lying, or even that it wasn't his own opinion. But, never mind. IMO it's a waste of time!

Oh right. That's terrible. It's the typing equivalent of 'erm...', or 'at the end of the day...'. Why do people bother to type that. I thought his post was his honest opinion on the matter, without him having to try tell me that in an abbreviation. I didn't think that he was lying, or even that it wasn't his own opinion. But, never mind. IMO it's a waste of time!

Are you alright mate?

Archived