Reporting a thread!!!

Looking for a bit of advice here.

I've come across a 'story' in the forums which is in bad taste at best, offensive at worst and possibly libellous.

I tried raising my concerns by posting in thread but to no avail.

I used the 'report' button to complain but then received an infraction from a moderator for 'spamming a story thread'.

The thread is still open and turns out the moderator and original poster are 'friends' on here so no point reporting it again.

Where do I go next?

If you wish to complain about a moderator id email Marc Duffy, marc.duffy(at)sigames.com. He is in charge of the forums.

Cheers mate for the quick reply.

I'm sure if you check through my previous posts you can see what thread I'm talking about.

Is it just me or does it have nothing at all to do with FM2008?

Is it just me or does it have nothing at all to do with FM2008?

It's in FM Stories. It doesn't have to have anything to do with the game other than that the matches are played on it, which I'm sure they are.

The author of that story often uses over-the-top humour to poke fun at stereotypes and behaviors. In this case, his story may be inspired by the exact incident you referred to (the radio call-in show). You've chosen to take offense at his satire, rather than at the behaviors and attitudes which he's trying to poke fun of.

Looking down the thread, I see that the writer of the story - incidentally, a long-standing contributor to that forum and award-winning author - has not used any term that you find offensive. The first poster to use the derogatory term has been given an official warning for it.

You then attempted to engage the author in a debate about it in his story thread, which is poor form in the context of the FM Stories forum. That forum has an off-topic thread, which would have been the appropriate place to discuss the issue. You persisted after the author warned that he would report further debate in his thread. For that, you were given an official warning.

I'm afraid I don't really see the problem. We've certainly had truly offensive stories started in FM Stories, and those get closed posthaste. FM Stories has also had long debates about censorship, etc, with the general feeling that it is better to let the authors write occasionally questionable material with literary merit than to close things down to avoid the slightest chance of offense.

My advice to you is to drop the issue.

If, however, you persist in desiring to escalate it, I'd suggest you escalate to mods at sigames.com as the intermediary step and the appropriate address to complain about a moderator to.

TBH I think some people take offence far to easily, I just wonder how they cope in the real world with banter in the workplace/school and their friends (if they have any), you pretty much cant say anything today without some idiot finding a way to take offence!

P.s I'm not trying to condone what has been typed, its just my general view at the moment.

Archived