DRM in FM?

I heard that this years FM will include DRM ( Digital Rights Management ) on the disk rather than than the Check Disk system that has been in place on previous efforts, is this true?

If so i am disapointed in SI for doing this, DRM has little to no effect on the people its trying to stop ( the pirates ) and harms the honest guys who dont pirate games ( like myself ) by imposing ridiculous restrictions on when and where i can play the game. EA games have recently been taken to court over the DRM issue and the fact it surrepticiously installs a program to your PCs kernel that cannot be uninstalled. Disapointing SI, you are supposed to be a community driven company, this move just further alienates us :(

How so?

The move affects the community, nil.

I think at the end of the day, DRM doesn't really effect us. It's just an irritation. But I think the major stumbling block is the perceived breach of freedom. People want to be able to believe that when they purchase the disc that they own the contents. That is a huge misunderstanding; by purchasing the disc you are purchasing a licence to use it. Not to own it. SI games has exclusive rights to the content of that disc, and they are looking to protect it.

So, they've decided to give us five licences - which can be renewed by uninstalling any existing copies.

I'm not really sure whether people are bothered because they predict apocalypse and will lose those five licences, or whether they are bothered because they feel that additional rootkit-or-other software is somehow spying on their activities?

I don't care either way. As long as the game works, the DRM doesn't hinder it in any way...

I think at the end of the day, DRM doesn't really effect us. It's just an irritation. But I think the major stumbling block is the perceived breach of freedom. People want to be able to believe that when they purchase the disc that they own the contents. That is a huge misunderstanding; by purchasing the disc you are purchasing a licence to use it. Not to own it. SI games has exclusive rights to the content of that disc, and they are looking to protect it.

So, they've decided to give us five licences - which can be renewed by uninstalling any existing copies.

I'm not really sure whether people are bothered because they predict apocalypse and will lose those five licences, or whether they are bothered because they feel that additional rootkit-or-other software is somehow spying on their activities?

I don't care either way. As long as the game works, the DRM doesn't hinder it in any way...

I think its more its an inconvenience to the paying customer that a pirate can easily circumnavigate and avoid and never have to deal with again. That and the 5 licence nonsense.

Then again, when you buy a game you might want to be able to keep it and replay it whenever you like. I've got several old games that I still play (Including old CM's!) and if this system had been in place then they would be unusable now.

And you know, if they ever stop supporting FM09, they will probably release a patch which removes the authentication from the game. That seems like a logical move, anyway.

So I think the "What if I want to play it in ten years time?" arguments are a bit redundant. Besides - in ten years time we'll be hooking up our V-R helmets and actually having to run around on the pitch - who would want to load up a game that only has a 3d match engine? :)

Ya know pirates could get around having to put a disk in too?

You all complain, no that's not at all fair, a lot of us complain but if DRM wasn't there I guaruntee the number of people just copying their CD and giving it to a mate to use or a few mates etc etc would increase enormously. which is something everyone seems to ignore because the only piracy in the world is on BitTorrent.

sorry...

I know, but wouldn't it be like conceding defeat if they just removed all protection from the software?

I mean, as a software vendor it's probably policy to have some sort of anti-piracy measure and this was probably the most attractive. I don't know.

There are games out there (cant remember specific names) that removed all forms of DRM and they still sold extremely well.

I like buying software, too. It's great to have the box, manuals etcetera.

It's just so unfortunate that in these times, oil and food prices are breaking my back. In Australia the prices of software are unbelievably high - for reasons unknown to us. JBHifi is a local retailer that offers console games (new, just released) for $79.95 or something, when all other retailers offer games at $110-120. I know they wouldn't sell at a loss, so it's clear to me that the cost of purchasing those games wholesale is less than that figure. Maybe the marketing figures in that company are avid gamers and want people to realise that they're being gouged. I don't know.

Archived