The Press Conferences Feature

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Football-Manager-2009/preview-13327.html

Stop The Press

These press conferences are generally held before and after games but can also be arranged at other key moments (e.g. when you start at a new club). The questions tend to follow the same basic format, such as "How confident are you for the match ahead?" or "Would you say your appointment at this club is a dream come true?" However, the press will often throw questions into the mix which react to occurrences in the game. For example, if a player takes exception to one of your locker room talks and voices their discontent to the media then journalists will often ask you questions on the matter in a press conference. In most cases, your best bet is to avoid inflammatory comments so that the hacks don't come away with a story that paints you badly, but sometimes they'll keep badgering you for a response even if you say no comment. This tends to be pretty effective and even though the system is just text chains generated from a spreadsheet, you really do feel the pressure and the FM magic that we know and love is all present and correct.

You'll also be asked questions about ongoing transfer speculation in the press conferences, in which case it might be better to say something provocative to try and make one of your targets request a transfer. Usually the feedback comes in the form of news pieces that turn up in your inbox and the way these articles are written clearly takes a lot of factors into account. For example, while playing as Liverpool we decided to don our sarcastic Rafa Benitez hat and take the **** a little. When asked who we thought would win the premiership we answered, "Stoke" (our next opponents), which prompted a news report that started, "Liverpool's manager seemed to be in an impatient mood as he fielded questions from the media before today's match..." The news report then went on to quote our answer to a different question (do we have a good chance of a win?), which displayed some pretty sharp spreadsheet work from the SI team. :D

While all the talk is about the 3D match engine i think the press conferences might end up stealing its thunder! The press conference from this article looks really awesome :D

I'm hoping there is an option to turn them off.

Being asked the same "how confident are you" question before EVERY game will get very very tiresome. Especially as the majority of responses end up with negative consequences.

That's very negative. You haven't even tried the feature yet, but you're willing to assume it doesn't work or hasn't been improved.

This is the only feature in 09 that i'm excited about, and while I have reservations about the repetitiveness of it, i'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and avoid the negativity CaptainPlanet has demonstrated.

It's just the existing feature with a couple of extra questions instead of just the one that exists on FM08 that I "no comment" every time.

I don't see how typing your own replies is so great, you attach the text to a standard response, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay and it's not really a massive immersive realism feature.

It seems like a cheap add-on to be honest, but if some people are happy with the feature they clearly know their market.

Being asked the same "how confident are you" question before EVERY game will get very very tiresome. Especially as the majority of responses end up with negative consequences.

You can ask your assistent to handle the most of them

It's just the existing feature with a couple of extra questions instead of just the one that exists on FM08 that I "no comment" every time.

I don't see how typing your own replies is so great, you attach the text to a standard response, it doesn't add anything to the gameplay and it's not really a massive immersive realism feature.

It seems like a cheap add-on to be honest, but if some people are happy with the feature they clearly know their market.

I agree with the bit about typing your own text? How do you know what the feature is like, how do you it hasn't been improved much?

That's very negative. You haven't even tried the feature yet, but you're willing to assume it doesn't work or hasn't been improved. This is the only feature in 09 that i'm excited about, and while I have reservations about the repetitiveness of it, i'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and avoid the negativity CaptainPlanet has demonstrated.

I'm with you, Nomis! From what I've read about this new feature, I'm excited to give it a try. I like what I hear. Let's all actually try it before making judgement on it, please.

That's very negative. You haven't even tried the feature yet, but you're willing to assume it doesn't work or hasn't been improved.

I'm making an opinion based on what has been implemented on previous versions.

Yes, it could suprise me and be a fantastic addition, it depends how standardised the questions are and how much they affect the morale/mentality of the players before a game.

Based on what exists at the moment, I'd be very suprised if it was anythign vastly in-depth and as stated above, is likely a cheap gimmick.

But hey, each to their own.

I'm making an opinion based on what has been implemented on previous versions.

Yes, it could suprise me and be a fantastic addition, it depends how standardised the questions are and how much they affect the morale/mentality of the players before a game.

Based on what exists at the moment, I'd be very suprised if it was anythign vastly in-depth and as stated above, is likely a cheap gimmick.

But hey, each to their own.

Fair enough, i'm just surprised how negative people have been about certain features without even trying them. Perhaps my crystal ball is broken :p Like you say, each to their own I suppose.

• SI Staff

Yes. You can get your assistant manager to handle all press conferences except 'new job' ones. You will also not get a press conference before and after every match. It will be dependant on the context of the match and whether the press actually want to speak to you.

As said earlier you can call for your own press conference...

You cannot call a press conference yourself. This is something we want to expand on in future versions e.g. when you make a new signing etc

We've found that typing in your own additional comments is great for network games and could be useful for players who like to keep a record of their thoughts while playing the game.

As someone else mentioned, give it a go yourself. If it's not to your liking, then there is the Assistant Manager Handle Press Conferences option for you.

• Administrators

It's more than a couple of extra questions, I can assure you of that.

With typing your own response, it is what you want to make of it - depends how easily you're amused or how much detail you want to go into for your own benefit. I've certainly produced some classic moments using it and sure, it doesn't do anything to the gameplay but I disagree with the immersion and entertainment part of your assessment.

With typing your own response, it is what you want to make of it - depends how easily you're amused or how much detail you want to go into for your own benefit. I've certainly produced some classic moments using it and sure, it doesn't do anything to the gameplay but I disagree with the immersion and entertainment part of your assessment.

I expect the biggest attraction of writing your own responses is when playing a network game, so other players can see what you have said. I can see it providing a lot of amusing moments that way

Thanks for the responses guys.

I don't think my cynicism is misplaced given the poor quality of the media option in FM08.

Basically the assistant manager option is an on/off switch for it, so if it's not to my tastes (which i don't think it will be) I will use that providing the assistants don't totally **** it up like they do with the team talks in FM08.

This is my worry, that I'm going to be forced to have to go through a routine of answering standard questions to stop a negative impact on my team.

Thanks for clearing that up...wel just have to wait and try it...i say it will be great

so if the reporter asks who you think will win the premier leauge? and i write i think hull will be up there and have a great chance...do the ai understand it?or doesnt recognize it

Read the first post of the thread...follow that link...

I suppose it all depends on how realistic you want to be; if you just want to do things that give you a realistic benefit in the game, then great - ignore them. If you want to immerse yourself in as much of a football management simulation as possible (like me) then it's a pretty important feature to your games.

The game will still only be able to respond to the answers you choose from a list. The stuff that you type will be purely cosmetic. It will really come into it's own on network games or if you have more than one person playing.

The game will still only be able to respond to the answers you choose from a list. The stuff that you type will be purely cosmetic. It will really come into it's own on network games or if you have more than one person playing.

It's been said that there will be a few things you can type in that will be recognized

This made me laugh:D

I've got an image of some old bald guy sat in front of his PC chuckling away because he told the press that they are idiots:D

Now that really was from an official source! ;)

to be honest i cant wait to try out this feature. sounds like a lot of fun through-out the season and some questions could come back to haunt you!

tottenham manager storms out of press conferance claiming "we will win the title! you'll see! you'll all see!"

tottenham relegated from the english premier division.

I'm a bit cautious myself.. with pretty much every new CM/FM, more/better media interaction was promised, but it has yet to impress imo.

However, I could see myself really enjoying this feature if it's worked out properly, so I do really hope it works as well as the first post implies.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/Football-Manager-2009/preview-13327.html

Stop The Press

These press conferences are generally held before and after games but can also be arranged at other key moments (e.g. when you start at a new club). The questions tend to follow the same basic format, such as "How confident are you for the match ahead?" or "Would you say your appointment at this club is a dream come true?" However, the press will often throw questions into the mix which react to occurrences in the game. For example, if a player takes exception to one of your locker room talks and voices their discontent to the media then journalists will often ask you questions on the matter in a press conference. In most cases, your best bet is to avoid inflammatory comments so that the hacks don't come away with a story that paints you badly, but sometimes they'll keep badgering you for a response even if you say no comment. This tends to be pretty effective and even though the system is just text chains generated from a spreadsheet, you really do feel the pressure and the FM magic that we know and love is all present and correct.

You'll also be asked questions about ongoing transfer speculation in the press conferences, in which case it might be better to say something provocative to try and make one of your targets request a transfer. Usually the feedback comes in the form of news pieces that turn up in your inbox and the way these articles are written clearly takes a lot of factors into account. For example, while playing as Liverpool we decided to don our sarcastic Rafa Benitez hat and take the **** a little. When asked who we thought would win the premiership we answered, "Stoke" (our next opponents), which prompted a news report that started, "Liverpool's manager seemed to be in an impatient mood as he fielded questions from the media before today's match..." The news report then went on to quote our answer to a different question (do we have a good chance of a win?), which displayed some pretty sharp spreadsheet work from the SI team. :D

While all the talk is about the 3D match engine i think the press conferences might end up stealing its thunder! The press conference from this article looks really awesome :D

in practice it sounds a good addition

HOWEVER

like all the media things SI have added in the past years.....it soon becomes so repetitive and a nuisance to bother using`

i have not obviously played the game, but it always in my opinion take 2 goes at such features to create abit more depth in the variation of the questions and things asked

the pre match questions are just plain awful....they are always the same, or worded different but give the same answer or effect

i have hopes for this feature, but i hope it works alot better than the confidence feature last year, which like the press conferences was a great idea, but in theory didn't work very well

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?ctx=3583;6;-1;-1&pPageID=3604

todays blog speaks about the press conferences....

Press Conferences

After the release of Football Manager 2008 we sat down and started to think about how we could improve the way the manager communicates with the media. Listening to the fan-base it was clear that the distinction between what is heard by the press and what stays behind closed doors has been blurred at times. On the one hand there is the interaction system (between fellow managers and between managers and players) and on the other there are the questions and transfer speculation which crop up every now and then in the manager's inbox. What was clear to us was that we needed to develop a system which would present the manager with a more realistic and focussed approach to handling the press.

As you will see in Football Manager 2009, our approach has been to make press conferences the focal point of the manager's dealings with the media. As in real life, a press conference is the only regular opportunity for journalists from both written and audio-visual media outlets to formally pose questions to the person in charge of the football club. On a broader scale, a press conference becomes the major point of contact between a manager and the outside world.

In Football Manager 2009, there are three types of press conference: new job, pre-match and post-match. During each press conference, the manager will be given an indication of how many media sources and journalists are present. The number of journalists present will reflect the importance of the fixture; ranging from one or two local reporters for a non-league tie to global paparazzi for a European cup final.

Once the press conference is under way, as each question is posed, the journalist asking the question will be displayed, along with their employer. Every question and answer is stored in the press conference history section which is important to the flow of press conferences over the course of time as journalists will refer back to questions asked at an earlier stage and what answers were previously given.

Journalists being journalists, they'll occasionally stray off-topic. It might well be a pre-match press conference, but you can bet your life that someone in the room wants to know more about the latest rumours of unsettled players or a piece of juicy transfer gossip. That's the charm in having numerous journalists present; they've all got a different personality. Some of them will be kinder and more understanding towards you, whilst a similar number may be quite probing and less considerate.

However, for every question, there's an answer, and you've got quite a degree of flexibility in how you go about addressing what has been asked. Each question has five options from which you can choose your best-suited response, with an additional free text box at the bottom of the screen for you to add your additional comments in should you have any (and we know you will). This doesn't impact on what the media or the football world make of your answers, but it's a nice tool to aid in the immersion factor for those that want to, and can be great fun in multiplayer games!

Of course, if you don't want to turn up, you can simply send your Assistant Manager along on your behalf. There is also an option in Team Settings to get your assistant manager to handle all press conferences. If you do turn up and things aren't to your liking, you can ask your press officer to wrap things up or even storm out.

So, now you know more about that. Tomorrow's blog will come live from the Golden Joystick awards, where we're nominated for best PC game and best UK developer I think. Which is nice. But expect it to be a little bit slurred.

I hope there is a general no comment option before every press conference. Media is the most tedious aspect of the game for me in it's current generic form so I'd like to ignore it as much as possible. Leaving it to Ass Man isn't the best of options either when you are the one ending up getting all the blame. The best part about media in FM 2008 and earlier is the fact that most of it can be easily ignored.

Archived