Attribute masking

Do you use it?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use it?

• Yes, always
    • No, never
    • Sometimes
    • Whats attribute masking?

I have been using it from its introduction. This is related to Tranfer Market Knowledge too - more attributes are visible with more knowledge and scouting.

For me, it is cheating to play without attribute masking.

Also looking for CA and/or PA in the database is cheating IMHO.

I would like to use attribute masking but I find that the scouts in the game are so poor that it just means that you take a massive gamble on any player unless you know him from real life. My career game is always with my beloved Man Utd and every report from my scouts will say 'player x would be the 4th (replace with 3rd,5th,6th) best striker in your squad'

Now is it just me or am I being completely unreasonable to expect that I only want players recommended to me that are at least going to improve my squad so therefore those that are 2nd or best player n that position at my club?

Obviously as the game goes on and the regens (we all know how shocking they are in '08) appear then the information from the scouts becomes even more important!

This is a feature i never use, i know it adds to the realism, but i feel it takes some of the fun out of the game. i was just wondering how many people used this, and how many people see it as a kind of cheat

Not using it would be taking fun out of the game IMO.

I gather you mean not using it seems like cheating. I know some people are too lazy to use scouts or use the excuse of scouts not being good enough. So they unmask the attributes and use 3rd party programs to find the players PA, which IMO is cheating.

Having said that though I don't really care how other people play the game, it's up to them.

if you have staff from a foreign country, will that mean that some players from there have unmasked attributes?

Not at all.

If you have scout with the knowledge of country X, more players from country X are visible in the PLAYER SEARCH menu, because they are are "well known" players now. But "less known" player from those "well known" players have masked several attributes if they are from country X, but still in the PLAYER SEARCH menu.

Anyway, "not known" players are not visible in PLAYER SEARCH menu and they are "waiting" for more knowledge from this country and after that, they will appear in PLAYER SEARCH.

I always use it and I use fictional players. Really makes the game a challenge when I can't just buy a player who I KNOW is class just by his name, even though I might not know his exact attribute numbers.

That is the most complete way of playing FM, you have my respect, but I prefer to have real names as IMHO this is going to negate the hard work of SI when gaining licences for real players. It is simulation of real football and in real football, you know that C. Ronaldo is one of the best etc.

I used it once few years ago in cm01/02 or something , chairman said that i couldn't spend much money on a player i don't know anything about (masked) and the next day my rival bought him , i never used it ever since

It is like in real world, you do not know him, you will not buy him, I know him, I will buy him. Nothing strange.

That is the most complete way of playing FM, you have my respect, but I prefer to have real names as IMHO this is going to negate the hard work of SI when gaining licences for real players. It is simulation of real football and in real football, you know that C. Ronaldo is one of the best etc.

Yeah, because sometimes with non-real players, the league can also go alittle crazy.

It's an option to make players from lower leagues, younger players and obscure foreign players have their stats hidden.

I haven't ever used it much tbh.

This is not true. If you do not have a knowledge of some country, you have only "well known" players visible in Player Search.

If you have attributes masked, you can not see attributes even if that players are finally visible in Player Search, so tranfers are more difficult. You can not bypass Player Search with just to click on league from which you do not have knowladge about and buy players based on their attributes.

This is not true. If you do not have a knowledge of some country, you have only "well known" players visible in Player Search.

If you have attributes masked, you can not see attributes even if that players are finally visible in Player Search, so tranfers are more difficult. You can not bypass Player Search with just to click on league from which you do not have knowladge about and buy players based on their attributes.

Okay thanks for giving a more in-depth (and correct:p) explanation Majkee :thup:

I use it for career, lower leagues, or leagues I'm not as familiar with. Otherwise if playing in the EPL with masking on for example I find myself just signing players I know are good instead of wasting time unmasking attributes of some player I may never have had before.

It doesn't exactly take long to get a scout to unmask the attributes of a player!

Can when your trying to find a RB and you can either try to unearth a gem through searching and scouting many regions/players or just sign a RB that I have in previous games and know is quality.

Don't misunderstand though, I do love the attribute masking and scouting just not when I'm playing a big club where I already know most of the players that will make it into the team anyways.

Can when your trying to find a RB and you can either try to unearth a gem through searching and scouting many regions/players or just sign a RB that I have in previous games and know is quality.

Don't misunderstand though, I do love the attribute masking and scouting just not when I'm playing a big club where I already know most of the players that will make it into the team anyways.

Isn't it boring to sign the same players all over again though? I've never understood how people can play several games in the same division with same-ish teams signing the same players. I never sign one player more than twice in my games. It just doesn't feel fun at all.

Oh and I do use attribute masking. Couldn't imagine playing the game without it. Guess it's a matter of preference though.

Isn't it boring to sign the same players all over again though? I've never understood how people can play several games in the same division with same-ish teams signing the same players. I never sign one player more than twice in my games. It just doesn't feel fun at all.

Oh and I do use attribute masking. Couldn't imagine playing the game without it. Guess it's a matter of preference though.

It is, that's my point. If I'm playing with unknown players around me then I have great fun with scouting and getting new players. If I'm playing with in the EPL for example with masked attributes then I find myself signing the same players instead of scouting for new ones. If I'm playing the EPL with unmasked attributes then I'll be more likely to try new players that I never had before since it's easier to find them than scouting the region/team.

I send my Werder Bremen scouts out around the world at the start of the game and then just keep re-sending them when they come back, after looking at their recommendations. There are usually players in their combined lists somewhere that are worth signing and I ask them to go back and scout specific players on their list. It's not like I'm usually in a hurry since you can only sign players in the transfer window anyway (although admittedly I find myself just like real life managers in a rush on 31st January looking for one or two more players!)

• 7 months later...

Can someone tell me what the point of using Hide Player Atrributes? If you want to see the attributes of any player, you can - just ask your scout. So all you are doing by turning it on is making the game a chore by having to look up the attributes of 100s of players.

Can someone tell me what the point of using Hide Player Atrributes? If you want to see the attributes of any player, you can - just ask your scout. So all you are doing by turning it on is making the game a chore by having to look up the attributes of 100s of players.

Scouting is limited though, especially in the lower leagues. Turning attribute masking on limits attributes you can see to those who are either well known or within your scouting network. It creates a more realistic model.

I always have it on. Don't think i've ever played without. It makes it that bit more interesting when your scout gives you some reports from an assignment.

I always use it, but I prefer OOTPs method, which filters attributes through the scouts' eyes. What you see may be wrong, especially with poorer scouts. Even the best may miss by a point or two. This is the most realistic method, IMO, since we, as managers, can only go by what our scouts tell us.

Archived