Early Release/Dispatch of Fm2009 Authentication

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hopefully the release date will stay as the 14/11. As much as I would love to play it earlier, it’s not really fair on Miles and SI team that have spent a lot of time and money marketing, for retailers to ignore the official release date. I remember last year a lot of shops started selling the game a day or two early, Miles was so angry.....

hopefully the release date will stay as the 14/11. As much as I would love to play it earlier, it’s not really fair on Miles and SI team that have spent a lot of time and money marketing, for retailers to ignore the official release date. I remember last year a lot of shops started selling the game a day or two early, Miles was so angry.....

I wonder why it's such a big deal though? Genuinely confused.

I expect to get my game on the 13th November and I will be gutted like a few other people that will probaly spend all day on here venting frustration that I have a game I paid for and not being able to play it. I say turn the servers on Thursday.

Piracy wins again - people will get a free version and play it earlier.

I don't think anyone is talking about Piracy. I know when I pre-order a game off a web-site (such as Game, Shopto and the like) that the game is shipped early to ensure it arrives on release day. This normally results in it arriving at least a day early.

To tell you the truth if SI don't let us play a version we paid for on a date we get it, I think a lot of people might try and get the pirate version.

I am not talking about getting the pirate version I will have the game on the 13th from a online store.

I don't think anyone is talking about Piracy. I know when I pre-order a game off a web-site (such as Game, Shopto and the like) that the game is shipped early to ensure it arrives on release day. This normally results in it arriving at least a day early.

What I'm saying is that people have legally bought a game from say an online store and receive their copy early on Thursday. They then can't play that game to a day after.

Even though we're only talking a day or two - this could increase piracy. People will get a DRM free, early and early to play game.

Stalin has moved to SI.

I think SI are correct in not allowing people to play it before the 14th. I mean thats the official release date so why should they allow the system to go live early just because some retailers sold it on the wednesday? Not SI's problem.

It doesn't exactly destroy SI if a game goes out early - if anything it may boost sales.

Im sure you can play without authentication. U just have to use the cd the whole time as opposed to not needing it when you get the authentication

Apparently you will have to authenticate before you can play. And you won't be able to do that until the official release day, even if you get the game early.

Im sure you can play without authentication. U just have to use the cd the whole time as opposed to not needing it when you get the authentication

Nope, needs authenticating.

Thinking about it, I wonder what this will mean for people who rush out at mid-night to get it, I know Steam only comes online at 9am on the 14th, what about the other methods?

What I'm saying is that people have legally bought a game from say an online store and receive their copy early on Thursday. They then can't play that game to a day after.

Even though we're only talking a day or two - this could increase piracy. People will get a DRM free, early and early to play game.

Stalin has moved to SI.

Ah fair enough, I mis-understood your post :)

No, this system replaces the CD in drive it's not either or.

And I really don't see how it'll increase piracy... lets assume the pirates get it on the 13th, 10am in the post. they have a whole new version of DRM to crack... depending on the DRM this will take hours to days to weeks to months. Now someone else gets it 8am, can't install it gets frustrated, goes to work. In the evening checks on bittorrent, nothing cos it ain't cracked yet. Now you're trying to tell me that instead of authenticating it the next day now that they've paid for it they're going to download a cracked version possible weeks or months later?

In fact I just looked at Miles' last posts and nowhere does he say you can play the game BEFORE the 14th.

His last post on this says that they are undecided what to do but at the moment authnetication server will be on at midnight Thursday the 13th of November (technically the 14th)

If they did leave it till midnight could we not crash the server? If everyone was as it early trying to play the game?

It is just so stupid. This along with the slider issue are the big downers to a good game.

It's not as bad as you make it out to be. At the end of the day the official release date is the 14th and that is when we should expect to be able to play it

If we get it a day early because shops send it out early, then what's the big deal? We've waited months as it is, what is an extra day going to make?

If you are mad because you believe people who pirate the game will play before us then yes I share your frustration, but that's how it's always been, they get it all for free and usually have less hassle playing it. But then they have to live with knowing they are thieves with no moral conscience. It may not bother them, but personally I'd rather wait until the 14th and know that I've paid money out of my own pocket to support SI for giving me many hours of enjoyment

To be honest SI's official release date is the 14th so nobody should be able to play the game the 14th. I don't like this idea as I've pre-ordered my game and am hoping to get the game on the 13th but think if you were Miles. You say you will release the game on the 14th but people get it early and play it on the 13th. You wouldn't be happy so why should Miles?

I know the SI/Sega partnership is not a charity but sticking to a firm release date is all because of Sales stats reporting &, no doubt, target sales success assessment ie if the game CAN be sold on the Thursday the reason it isnt is so Suits can perform accurately researched powerpoint presentations to people who actually wouldnt care whether they were selling FM09 or a bag of sprouts.

However, thats the world we live in so we just have to deal with it I guess but it feels that this all goes against the kind of ethos the Collyer bros believe in when writing the early games. having said that we expect the game out 14/11/08 and as long as it isnt delayed we should all be reasonably happy.

Footnote, if I went into a store a day early and they told me they had the game but couldnt sell it to me I would be livid!

i am sure i can wait till the 14th at the end of the day for me will get more fun playing it as its the weekend and will have more time to enjoy it. Am sure ppl can wait a ay to play it considering its not supposidly out until that next day.

look at it this way if your lucky and your copy arrives before the 14th you'll be able to authenticate it before the shops open on the 14th, if my pre-order arrives early ill be doing it as sonn as i get up so its ready to play when im home from work on the friday

I hope next time I go buy some food and pay for it, they won't tell me I have to wait until the next day to eat it!

That's a pretty ridiculous comparison

Food has been freely available since the dawn of mankind. FM was made by a group of guys and it's up to them and SEGA when we get it

No, this system replaces the CD in drive it's not either or.

And I really don't see how it'll increase piracy... lets assume the pirates get it on the 13th, 10am in the post. they have a whole new version of DRM to crack... depending on the DRM this will take hours to days to weeks to months. Now someone else gets it 8am, can't install it gets frustrated, goes to work. In the evening checks on bittorrent, nothing cos it ain't cracked yet. Now you're trying to tell me that instead of authenticating it the next day now that they've paid for it they're going to download a cracked version possible weeks or months later?

crackers will have cracked it for release date. pirated software can always be out on the same day as the real stuff.

i do think people are going over the top though.

yes people may expect to play the game on the day they get it. but equally SI would expect you to get the game on the official release date.

its not really something that is going to encourage piracy in my eyes. it might not stop it but i can't see it increasing it.

I don't think you're giving crackers enough credit to be honest, they'll have it done in no time at all.

Unlikely. For a start, FM isn't one of the games that immediately attracts the attention of scene groups. Also, security measures are advanced enough that it generally takes at least a few days to crack modern games. And of course, you have to factor in scene rules that mean that emulation techniques can't be used; the security has to wholly bypassed, or your release will get nuked.

I wouldn't expect pirated versions to appear for at least three days after release, and probably not for a week or so.

(And no, I'm not advocating piracy!)

I agree with Poil. If i pay for something I expect to play it straight away. If they don't want people getting the game early don't give thier copies to retailers so early.

The release date is the 14th November! If you get your copy a day earlier then that is not not down to SI but the retailers! SI have stated the release date and that will be when you can play it! As SmurfDude says, we've all waited months alrwady, do you not think you will be able to wait 1 more day? As for the slider feature that ive seen you mention a few times, wait till you have played the game before you condemn it as a bad feature, you may find yourself liking it, and if not im sure there will be many threads started about it when the game is out for you to vent your frustration!

I agree with Poil. If i pay for something I expect to play it straight away. If they don't want people getting the game early don't give thier copies to retailers so early.

Not sure i agree with you there.

I've got tickets to see Kings of Leon in November - paid for weeks ago, but I'm still going to have to wait before I get to enjoy my purchase. I've got the ticket in my wallet - something tangible and real, but it is not what i have paid for, that comes on the day.

I've also paid a Sky subscription to watch the footy, have to wait until the games are played first though.

My Ma bought some seeds - how long before she gets to see the flowers? Days, weeks?

When you buy most forms of entertainment you are paying for the right to enjoy said entertainment, not the physical disc/record/tape.

Unlikely. For a start, FM isn't one of the games that immediately attracts the attention of scene groups. Also, security measures are advanced enough that it generally takes at least a few days to crack modern games. And of course, you have to factor in scene rules that mean that emulation techniques can't be used; the security has to wholly bypassed, or your release will get nuked.

I wouldn't expect pirated versions to appear for at least three days after release, and probably not for a week or so.

(And no, I'm not advocating piracy!)

i'm afriad you are wrong. go to asia and you will see pirated versions of games on the shelves the same day as the official release date. the pirates get the gold discs which means they have just as long to crack it as the manufacturers get to create and distribute the game.

i went on holiday last year over the release of fm08. guess what? there it was for the equivalent of £1.50. obviously didn't buy it but it go's to show that piracy is big business.

Not sure i agree with you there.

I've got tickets to see Kings of Leon in November - paid for weeks ago, but I'm still going to have to wait before I get to enjoy my purchase. I've got the ticket in my wallet - something tangible and real, but it is not what i have paid for, that comes on the day.

I've also paid a Sky subscription to watch the footy, have to wait until the games are played first though.

My Ma bought some seeds - how long before she gets to see the flowers? Days, weeks?

When you buy most forms of entertainment you are paying for the right to enjoy said entertainment, not the physical disc/record/tape.

That's like comparing coffee to a NASA space shuttle launch.

The release date is the 14th, but if someone has legally purchased the game (which is what we all want to happen) and through no fault of their own they receive the game in the post a day or 2 before the release date and then they can't play it to the 14th seems a bit draconian.

Now I don't understand the whole fury with breaking a release date. It's only bad if you have a game that has loads of obvious bugs in it that may put people off purchasing the game from reading reviews.

Archived