World Cup hosts in FM... how does it work?

What nations host the World Cup in FM? Is there a limited list or is it completely random for all countries of the world? I was reading this amusing post: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=35676&highlight=leagues and the poster showed the World Cup finishes for the past 200 years. It looked like there was a limited number of countries that served as host. Any other insight? Experiences? Something new in '09?

I have no idea how the game works it out , but i have noticed over a long career game that the same old countries pop up.

I guess that it is really on afluent countries that get the WC in real life, or at least it should be. Look at South Africa. Now they took a real risk sending the cup to Africa because of the known corruption and general risk of chaos. I know that a few months ago, it looked at though that risk was going to backfire and a European country or two had been lined up to substitute if it didnt get back on track.

A limited (realistic) list is probably best as I recall in one of the pre-FM versions the World Cup was hosted in Ireland (I was managing them so it stuck in the memory). Now knowing the state of Irish soccer stadiums (small and functional but never in a million years World Cup standard) this won't happen in my lifetime so for realism a restricted list is probably best.

The hosts are hard coded in, they never change apparently. Or maybe that was just for FM 07.

From that 200-year-holiday-game post, that's what it looks like. These are the countries that rotate in that example: ENG, MEX, SPA, CHINA, GRE, SAFR, PORT, USA, ITA, EGYPT, RUSSIA, AUSTRALIA, FRA, URU, ARG, BRA, GER. So... no Holland, no Scandanavia, no Japan/Korea, no Czech Republic, Poland, Austria either.

Also curious about some of the continental competitions, how those rotate locations over time in the game.

Post: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=35676&highlight=leagues

it would be cool if you got to choose which countries hel the world cup , the euro. championships , champls league final etc.

in fifa manager 09 u supposidly can choose wit country holds the world cup so why no include this in a future fm game.

Because it's more unrealistic than Ledley King getting Player Of The Year.

it would be cool if you got to choose which countries hel the world cup , the euro. championships , champls league final etc.

in fifa manager 09 u supposidly can choose wit country holds the world cup so why no include this in a future fm game.

I don't think we should be able to choose as that is not going to be realistic.

I would like if it was a bit more realistic and could evaluate a country.

In FM09 we will get a news item about who is chosen as host beforehand so maybe it has been improved.

Archived