A Fun League

Malaysia is a good league. Try a season with Melaka Telekom. I'm not sure if it will last as a long-term game but its a good place to start and its different. It has a couple of cups including one I won first season and one I came 3rd in, I think.

I tried India for a change in FM08 and enjoyed it for something totally different.

Really difficult to try and challenge the top 2, East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, if you pick a smaller club.

Also there is the Asian Cup (like Uefa Cup) or Asian Champions League when you finally win a title, depending on previous Indian success in the continental competition. The latter is a really big challenge with an Indian club.

Forgot to mention that India also has the second oldest competition in the world after the FA Cup. It's called the Durand Cup.

Try to win that too!

Also, some of the clubs have a very long history.

Mohun Bagan were a nationalist side, for instance, who I believe were the first Indian team to beat a British side before Indian independence. The derby between Mohun Bagan and East Bengal is supposed to be huge.

Bengal, Calcutta and Goa have a big football culture, if I recall correctly, as they were influenced strongly by the British (and the Portuguese in the case of the latter). The real challenge is to try and manage a club that aren't from this area. Zero attendances, no money and all your best players get poached. Good luck with that one!

ukraine is fun, especially if you're managing shakhtar - amazing transfer budget, ability to buy a.e. VDV, Makoun, Kompany, Guilherme to hit all Ukrainian clubs into pieces + nice regens. i also managed salzburg for few years - that was interesting too.

I started a game in January cos I like the challenge of survival half way through the season. Problem is, I chose India as my league. Chose Air India. Rock bottom, survival a slim possibility considering I win all games, and I drew game 1. Relegated after my first game. So, I started jobseeking, and got the sack. Probably one of the shortest reigns ever, behind Leroy Rosenoir's 11-minutes at Torquay.

Forgot to mention that India also has the second oldest competition in the world after the FA Cup. It's called the Durand Cup.

Try to win that too!

Also, some of the clubs have a very long history.

Mohun Bagan were a nationalist side, for instance, who I believe were the first Indian team to beat a British side before Indian independence. The derby between Mohun Bagan and East Bengal is supposed to be huge.

Bengal, Calcutta and Goa have a big football culture, if I recall correctly, as they were influenced strongly by the British (and the Portuguese in the case of the latter). The real challenge is to try and manage a club that aren't from this area. Zero attendances, no money and all your best players get poached. Good luck with that one!

would like to point out that the scottish cup is older than the Durand Cup.

FA Cup - 1871

Scottish Cup - 1874 (this also has the distinction of being the oldest trophy, still in competition, in the world)

Durand Cup - 1888

would like to point out that the scottish cup is older than the Durand Cup.

FA Cup - 1871

Scottish Cup - 1874 (this also has the distinction of being the oldest trophy, still in competition, in the world)

Durand Cup - 1888

Yes, you are correct. I had a feeling I might be wrong about this after I posted it because I couldn't remember.

Durand Cup is actually the third oldest cup in the world.

Scottish second, as Celtic_1967 has rightly pointed out.

FA Cup first.

Yes, you are correct. I had a feeling I might be wrong about this after I posted it because I couldn't remember.

Durand Cup is actually the third oldest cup in the world.

Scottish second, as Celtic_1967 has rightly pointed out.

FA Cup first.

anyone else care to come in and prove him wrong.....we could start a trend!!!! :D

no, ok, well i'll go with the welsh cup from 1878. I'll also throw in the Irish Cup from 1881 for free :D

Actually Celtic_1967, the world's oldest football competition is probably claimed by a number of countries but a lot of the early football tournaments did not have set rules or clubs that were allowed to participate and some of the competitions were semi-organised and could barely be called 'tournaments'.

This is actually an interesting point you've brought up in your desperate attempts to prove me wrong! ;) I've consulted my favourite football reference book and also searched the Internet briefly. I'm finding lots of references to the Durand Cup as the third oldest football competition in the world. Indeed, technically it is older than the Welsh Cup and the Irish Cup, seeing as it has actually been played to completion more times. The Durand Cup has been played 121 times and the Scottish Cup only one more time than that.

I wonder if the standard of the competition and subsequent changes to that competition has a bearing on what is considered the oldest established competitions as well? The Welsh Cup, apparently, had only clubs from North Wales participating in it originally. The first competitions sound like amateurish affairs. The first final, for instance, was played on a pitch drawn up for the occasion. Goodness knows if it it met the regulations of the game as we know it. Similarly, the Irish Cup has changed dramatically during its history, with different restrictions on which clubs can participate.

I don't pretend to be an expert on football history. I actually got my source for the Durand being the second oldest cup competition from the All India Football Federation website! Certainly, if you perform a quick google search, you'll find a plethora of sites that suggest that the Durand Cup is at least the third oldest tournament.

I think that the English FA Cup, the Scottish Cup and the Durand Cup are judged to be the oldest (in that order) due to any, or all, of the following reasons: the number of times each competition has been played to completion, the standard of the competitions throughout their histories, the formalisation of the tournament rules and potential competitors and, finally, from the fact that these cups allow the same participants to apply as they have done through history thus remaining the same competitions.

Anyway, my original point was merely to suggest that India has an interesting football history with one of the oldest competitions in the world. :)

Actually Celtic_1967, the world's oldest football competition is probably claimed by a number of countries but a lot of the early football tournaments did not have set rules or clubs that were allowed to participate and some of the competitions were semi-organised and could barely be called 'tournaments'.

This is actually an interesting point you've brought up in your desperate attempts to prove me wrong! ;) I've consulted my favourite football reference book and also searched the Internet briefly. I'm finding lots of references to the Durand Cup as the third oldest football competition in the world. Indeed, technically it is older than the Welsh Cup and the Irish Cup, seeing as it has actually been played to completion more times. The Durand Cup has been played 121 times and the Scottish Cup only one more time than that.

I wonder if the standard of the competition and subsequent changes to that competition has a bearing on what is considered the oldest established competitions as well? The Welsh Cup, apparently, had only clubs from North Wales participating in it originally. The first competitions sound like amateurish affairs. The first final, for instance, was played on a pitch drawn up for the occasion. Goodness knows if it it met the regulations of the game as we know it. Similarly, the Irish Cup has changed dramatically during its history, with different restrictions on which clubs can participate.

I don't pretend to be an expert on football history. I actually got my source for the Durand being the second oldest cup competition from the All India Football Federation website! Certainly, if you perform a quick google search, you'll find a plethora of sites that suggest that the Durand Cup is at least the third oldest tournament.

I think that the English FA Cup, the Scottish Cup and the Durand Cup are judged to be the oldest (in that order) due to any, or all, of the following reasons: the number of times each competition has been played to completion, the standard of the competitions throughout their histories, the formalisation of the tournament rules and potential competitors and, finally, from the fact that these cups allow the same participants to apply as they have done through history thus remaining the same competitions.

Anyway, my original point was merely to suggest that India has an interesting football history with one of the oldest competitions in the world. :)

tbh i was just being a smart arse. thanks for not taking me seriously. All my info came from Wiki so its probably wrong anyway. Apart from the scottish cup one, thats definately right!

Nah, Ukraine's No.1!

And failing that, Brazil looks an interesting league.

I'd second this, Ukraine is really good fun!

Shakthar and Dinamo Kiev dominating, with Dnipro being a good 3rd. The rest of the team are of similar quality.

Very liberal foreigner rules :thup:

Archived